The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Joining!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MumboJumbo View Post
    Joining!!
    AWESOME!! The more the merrier!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Thought I would bump this up since I have not seen any of my paleo buddies.
    I am reading It's the food, Whole 30. Fantastic.
    I so recommend it. I am seriously trying to comply.
    The only thing I have not let go of is the little bit of Coffee cream and a sugar or two. Anyone read the book?
    I noticed someone had started a topic about Saturated fats, but it seems to be gone.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I'll have to check out that board, I'm always looking for new ideas and recipes. I've lost 25lbs so far following a Paleo style way of eating. I do cheat a little here and there, but I'm okay with that. I feel much better and so does my waistline.

Sannois - thanks for the invite to your forum. I just don't have the time for yet another forum! Plus, I'm really having a hard time "complying" with the paleo rules. I just can't give up fresh bread and dark chocolate!

By the way...what would be the first / more important things to do (drop from the menu, add to the menu) for someone who is just starting the Paleo thing?
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

sophie, the most important thing to get out of your diet is grains. You really need to try hard to break your addiction to bread/wheat. Make no mistake, it is a literal true addiction. Wheat has certain compounds that act on your brain similar to an opiate and stimulates your appetite. A good book to read about wheat is "Wheat Belly."

The most important thing to add? Since you are probably already eating meat, I'd suggest lots of green leafy veggies. Good free range (not the store bought but real farm raised) eggs really help with Omega 3's also. There's so much that's wrong with the modern diet that it's hard to know where to start but that's a good place.

I am afraid I've not had much time for the other forum either. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    In addition to The Wheat Belly, what are some other good books (cookbooks included) for paleo/primal living and eating? I am heading to a book store on my lunch break, and I would love to get some books for reading and recipes!
    Dont know if it has already been mentioned, but my favorite cookbook is paleo-- "Well Fed.". Amazing.

It is okay guys, I just wanted you all to know that there was a place you could come to discuss it.
    I have not had any wheat products at all for over 2 weeks.
    No desire either, But after reading the Whole 30 book someone recommended, I have come to the conclusion that certain things can become a tad obsessive.
    They want you to give up ALL dairy, ALL forms of sugar except the fruit, and not juice. No alcohol, no legumes, no peas either, they are a legume.
    While I totally follow their sciencey stuff I think that it can be stretched too far. I do not eat processed chemical laden foods at all anymore, I try to find good grass fed beef, I eat free range eggs, I eat wild caught fish, I eat fresh veggies, and I have no grains at all in my diet, Okay I have slipped this week and had some brown rice, but that book is extreme. I like it but I think it is difficult for someone to totally say okay never again any dairy, No home raised honey, Thoughts??

I like it but I think it is difficult for someone to totally say okay never again any dairy, No home raised honey, Thoughts??
    it is extreme. I think it's fine to eat well, ANYTHING, no matter how incredibly unhealthy, on rare occasions. It's what you eat most days that counts. I'm sure our ancestors found and ate honey from time to time- just not every day. They probably also found and ate wild rice and other grains from time to time- just not very often, and certainly not as the base of the diet.
    As for the dairy, I don't truly understand the rationale for that. Ok, so cavemen didn't have dairy animals. But dairy fits right into the "good food" category of low carb/ high protein. Guzzling milk every day is probably not very good for you, but if you're not lactose-intolerant, having a bit of cheese or yogurt from time to time, why not?
    as to legumes, I doubt you will miss them at all.

Wendy, I agree. I don't like extremes.
    I have reduced my wheat intake, almost never eat pasta or pizza or cake / cookies.

The base of my diet is veggies (in salads, in ratatouille etc., artichokes, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms...). No processed foods. Very little sugar (1 tsp in my coffee, a bit of dark chocolate). Fruit. Fish, lamb, chicken, pork, very little beef. Eggs, once in a while. Nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts)
    Potatoes (sweet or not) , sautéed or roasted , once in a while can't hurt? Peas and lentils are not allowed?
    I don't digest milk or cream well, but yogurt and cheese are no problem so I eat that.
    I only drink water. Both hubby and I have been on a wine/alcohol fast for a month. We'll see how long we can keep that up!

Other than the bread, I think I'm on the right track?
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

This site is a little hokey and commercial but the articles are great and a lot of fun:

www.MarksDailyApple.com

He calls it the 80/20 plan--don't let "perfection" be the enemy of "really good." If you can cut out all sugar, grains, artificial oils and processed food 80% of the time, WOW will you be doing great vs. the SAD (Standard American Diet.)

We all fall of the wagon now and again, just correct your course ASAP and get on with it.

The main thing is to break the glucose-need once and forever.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    I'll have to check out that board, I'm always looking for new ideas and recipes. I've lost 25lbs so far following a Paleo style way of eating. I do cheat a little here and there, but I'm okay with that. I feel much better and so does my waistline.
    That is fantastic! How long had you been at it before you lost the weight?

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    it is extreme. I think it's fine to eat well, ANYTHING, no matter how incredibly unhealthy, on rare occasions. It's what you eat most days that counts. I'm sure our ancestors found and ate honey from time to time- just not every day. They probably also found and ate wild rice and other grains from time to time- just not very often, and certainly not as the base of the diet.
    As for the dairy, I don't truly understand the rationale for that. Ok, so cavemen didn't have dairy animals. But dairy fits right into the "good food" category of low carb/ high protein. Guzzling milk every day is probably not very good for you, but if you're not lactose-intolerant, having a bit of cheese or yogurt from time to time, why not?
    as to legumes, I doubt you will miss them at all.
    I totally agree Wendy, As far as the dairy, I cannot quote but it is regarding how Infant humans can handle it, and infant cows, it gets very sciency, Interesting but hard to wrap your brain around. Once a mammal is grown Dont quote me, I will have to go grab the book, the composition of milk is no longer utilized by the body and is one of the main reasons for LActose intolerance. IT is the Lactose. I know terrible explanation, but It is interesting. The thing is, I hardly eat dairy, I occasionally have some fresh parmesan on my Spaghetti squash, or tonight, I am making Baked Chicken breasts with Pamesan and ground up Cashews( Raw Unsalted)
    And my little bit of coffee creamer in my coffee. They say come on you can drink your coffee black for a month. I would rather give it up.
    Sophie, That sounds about what I am doing, Good going.
    Yeah, I guess Peas and Beans are a no no. This book is an extreme Paleo thing. I will go get the name and authors for you guys, it is very interesting and informative. They want you to do this program for 30 days, hard core, no cheating. I thought there was someone who was doing the whole thirty thing on here. Anyway then after 30 days they tell you if there are certain things that you feel you must have sparingly or rarely, slowly try them to see how your body reacts. It goes into detail. I got the book on Kindle, I think it was 8 dollars. It is very eye opening. They worked very closely with the author of the original Paleo diet. But it it radical for 30 days, and I still think I am on the right track, I do not think my little bit of peas or A tsp of sugar or honey is going to do as much damage as all the processed foods I do not eat anymore, or the wheat. Right?

Well, I have Celiac Disease and a "little bit" of bread is like a little bit of poison to me...so I am all or nothing on that one. I also realize not everyone is that sensitive but when you realize what grains do to your system and how irritating they are, it truly is best to just forget them. IN a short while, you really won't miss them.

I have found even if I eat the gluten free stuff, I crash hard after I do it...so I really try not to go there at all.

On dairy...for a long time I was a purist and had none. I didn't digest it well so it was easy to avoid. Now, I tried to add a bit back in...cheese curd mainly...one of my favorite sins...and low and behold, my digestion is doing just fine. No gas or bloating or other misery. Healed up? Hard to say but I was gluten free for a good while before going Paleo.

So keeping it in moderation, I'll be OK I think.

One of the main reasons cheese and dairy is avoided in Paleo is the Acid Base balance. Too much dairy can actually impede calcium absorption and lead to bone loss. Dairy (and grains) are highly acid producing and your body wants to be base neutral...so when you load up on these acid foods, your body will release calcium to neutralize the acidity...thus bone loss. Here is a good article on it:

http://thesproutingseed.com/what-is-...diet-part-two/
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/01/a...e-balance.html

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Well, I have Celiac Disease and a "little bit" of bread is like a little bit of poison to me...so I am all or nothing on that one. I also realize not everyone is that sensitive but when you realize what grains do to your system and how irritating they are, it truly is best to just forget them. IN a short while, you really won't miss them.

I have found even if I eat the gluten free stuff, I crash hard after I do it...so I really try not to go there at all.

On dairy...for a long time I was a purist and had none. I didn't digest it well so it was easy to avoid. Now, I tried to add a bit back in...cheese curd mainly...one of my favorite sins...and low and behold, my digestion is doing just fine. No gas or bloating or other misery. Healed up? Hard to say but I was gluten free for a good while before going Paleo.

So keeping it in moderation, I'll be OK I think.

One of the main reasons cheese and dairy is avoided in Paleo is the Acid Base balance. Too much dairy can actually impede calcium absorption and lead to bone loss. Dairy (and grains) are highly acid producing and your body wants to be base neutral...so when you load up on these acid foods, your body will release calcium to neutralize the acidity...thus bone loss. Here is a good article on it:

http://thesproutingseed.com/what-is-...diet-part-two/
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/01/a...e-balance.html
    Thanks Sharon for clarifying that. This book goes into some serious scientific detail and they back it all up as well.
    It is no wonder so many people are obese or have so many ailments.

The book is called It starts with Food. By Melissa And Dallas Hartwig.
    Wonderful information.
    the other one is The Paleo Diet Revised, it is by the original Author Loren Cordain. I am not sure what is revised, I have not read it yet.

It's not the grains or carbs that make you fat. It's the wrong kind of carbs and it's mixing carbs with fat. Our bodies just weren't meant to process both at the same time. Eat "slow" carbs once, maybe twice a day, and not at the same meal you eat fat. Dairy is considered a fat. It's the insulin resistance that makes us fat. Read Fat Chance and also Sugar: The Bitter Truth, both by Robert Lustig, The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet by Heller & Heller, Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman, The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted And the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, And Long-term Health by Campbell. They all say basically the same thing. Everything else is just a fad or a gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by anita m View Post
    It's not the grains or carbs that make you fat. It's the wrong kind of carbs and it's mixing carbs with fat. Our bodies just weren't meant to process both at the same time. Eat "slow" carbs once, maybe twice a day, and not at the same meal you eat fat. Dairy is considered a fat. It's the insulin resistance that makes us fat. Read Fat Chance and also Sugar: The Bitter Truth, both by Robert Lustig, The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet by Heller & Heller, Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman, The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted And the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, And Long-term Health by Campbell. They all say basically the same thing. Everything else is just a fad or a gimmick as far as I'm concerned.
    HAve you read, Wheat Belly? or any of the other books?

My boyfriend and I are big fans of Mark Sisson.

The hardest for us is PLANNING the meals. We get very sloppy.

However tomorrow is going to be our first visit to the farmer's market in months so I think that will really help us to get back on track with our healthy eating.

I'm sitting here in Starbucks using the wifi so I can't really comment right now!

I try to pay attention to the foods that bother me. FODMAPS are key for me--really helped me on what to limit in my diet. Asparagus for example.

I have been out of fermented cod liver oil lately and I am MISSING it big time. It definitely made a difference in how I feel each morning and my teeth are sensitive without it. I am also looking into getting raw milk and seeing how that might benefit me.

We are also big fans of bentonite clay for healing rashes and we try to take clay baths a few times a month. It makes you feel SO much better. I've also started drinking it and it is making my face and skin so much brighter. I've become a clay evangelist.

I know a lot of people are getting benefits from this diet, but I really don't want to eat like ancestors who were genetically closer to apes than to me. There are three reasons I can't do it anyway: I'm vegan, I can't give up coffee, I can't give up wine