The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

I was inspired to try to go Paleo after bulking up during Christmas/ moving to a new home. I haven't been perfect but the change to better protein and fewer carbs has dropped my weight down 10lbs. I have to admit that I enjoy hard cardio workouts and ride several horses many times a week, when I get fat it is purely eating everything in ridiculous quantities.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm also noticing how pretty my food looks on my plate as well. Last night I made an almost-Paleo beef stew (my mom asked me to put potatoes in it, then of course she doesn't like it!), with orange, purple, and yellow carrots in it. It was just gorgeous to look at! Unfortunately the meat wasn't very good, but currently, some grass-fed beef short ribs with cabbage is beginning its journey in my crockpot. I just seasoned it with salt, pepper, and maple syrup. I have a feeling it's going to be deeeeeelicious!

Sounds delish~! You know after a while you do not even miss the potatoes!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Okay I find this all so interesting, First thought is why is this thread not more popular? Because Americans are addicted to processed junk and bad processed carbs. The mere thought of giving up pizza and pasta and chips makes them quiver. I personally never was a chip fan, and I have been so less bloated since ditching the wheat I cannot even think about eating them.
    But truly this nation is addicted collectively to Processed garbage. You cannot turn the TV on without seeing an add for some new Processed food.
    And the health of this country is showing it glaringly! Diabetes cancer massive obesity. What we have forgotten, is food is not for comfort, it is for fuel. I strongly recommend to anyone who wants to learn about the effects of that food on the human body, to read, thin next year, and Wheat Belly, and The several paleo books out there. To feel good is worth giving up the nummy junk. And truly after a while of doing without, you can't stand the junk.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

3 members found this post helpful.

I haven't noticed a whole lot going on with my body. But then again I'm coming into about 14 days doing this. Instead, I'm focusing on how awesome the food I'm cooking is, and how I'm forcing myself to plan, and be prepared, and cook whenever I can. I need to do some more research on fruit; I think I'm eating some high-sugar fruits which still make me crave sugar (or have urges for it) when it's around me. And I think I should probably incorporate more fish and seafood, since I've been eating a lot of beef, for the omega 3s.

It's not going to happen overnight. But I DO feel better! And if I started moving more (and hopefully riding again soon), I think I'd really see the difference. Little goals for right now. I'm just happy to be breaking the addiction to sugar and carbs, honestly.

2 members found this post helpful.

So, I'm wondering how many carbs is to many carbs for the Paleo diet? I certainly am WAY down from the amount I use to eat but I still like to have my green apples and a banana every couple of days. I also like to have a sweet potato and roasted butternut squash once a week . Tonight I had homemade marinara sauce,that I made this summer and froze, on top of a roasted spaghetti squash. For breakfast, I had left over steak on top of raw baby spinach, with a 1/2 of an avocado. Topped with flax oil and balsamic vinegar. Quite delightful!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky dog farm View Post
    So, I'm wondering how many carbs is to many carbs for the Paleo diet? I certainly am WAY down from the amount I use to eat but I still like to have my green apples and a banana every couple of days. I also like to have a sweet potato and roasted butternut squash once a week . Tonight I had homemade marinara sauce,that I made this summer and froze, on top of a roasted spaghetti squash. For breakfast, I had left over steak on top of raw baby spinach, with a 1/2 of an avocado. Topped with flax oil and balsamic vinegar. Quite delightful!
    I think Seriously you are fine to eat an apple or a banana once in a while,
    It is no where near as bad as processed food.
    I have to have some raw honey in my tea or coffee. I just have to.
    Oh the spaghetti squash with home made marinara is wonderful, It tastes like spaghetti to me!! and looks like it!!

How is everyone doing on their Paleo wheat free diet?
    I have become slightly obsessed. All this healthy stuff I am eating is actually getting to be a habit. My room mate is actually on the band wagon.
    I am so shocked by even the most innocent food.. A jar of plain pickles, has some god awful ingredient in it. You have to really read labels.
    I do not miss the wheat at all. I have tried several of the recipes you suggested and some I just made up. And they are delish.
    I have taken to making my own salad dressing, because the stuff even in the supposed organic has chemicals. Love to hear more suggestions of how you manage to eat clean. It is a bit of a challenge but when summer comes it will be very easy. I am liking it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    How is everyone doing on their Paleo wheat free diet?
    I have become slightly obsessed. All this healthy stuff I am eating is actually getting to be a habit. My room mate is actually on the band wagon.
    I am so shocked by even the most innocent food.. A jar of plain pickles, has some god awful ingredient in it. You have to really read labels.
    I do not miss the wheat at all. I have tried several of the recipes you suggested and some I just made up. And they are delish.
    I have taken to making my own salad dressing, because the stuff even in the supposed organic has chemicals. Love to hear more suggestions of how you manage to eat clean. It is a bit of a challenge but when summer comes it will be very easy. I am liking it!!
    I'm not doing strict Paleo, in that I haven't given up dairy, but I have lost about 11 lbs in the last 6-7 weeks by giving up grains/processed food/sugar. The cravings really do go away. I feel 10000% healthier and have noticed big improvements in energy level (especially in the afternoons), in my skin and in the rest of my body as far as reduced inflammation/bloating. I'm trying to keep the focus on "healthy" and not on the scale, at this point.

For anyone who's on the fence: It's worth a try for 2 or 3 weeks to see how you feel.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

You have to really read labels.
    Or just buy stuff that doesn't come with labels
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    I'm not doing strict Paleo, in that I haven't given up dairy, but I have lost about 11 lbs in the last 6-7 weeks by giving up grains/processed food/sugar. The cravings really do go away. I feel 10000% healthier and have noticed big improvements in energy level (especially in the afternoons), in my skin and in the rest of my body as far as reduced inflammation/bloating. I'm trying to keep the focus on "healthy" and not on the scale, at this point.

For anyone who's on the fence: It's worth a try for 2 or 3 weeks to see how you feel.
    Great job!!! I should also add, I too have not given up dairy, but it is mainly some coffee cream and the occasional yogurt. but even with yogurt unless it is plain it has Junk in it. So not much of that.
    I am on a constant quest to find pure foods, and one must really stick to the produce and meat area, and I do not buy grocery store beef, I am still on the hunt for good grass fed beef in my area.

Or just buy stuff that doesn't come with labels
    Yup, That is the truth, I just thought when I was shopping, must be some nice pickles, that are just pickles.. NOPE! Just I am going to try my hand at canning this summer.

I just had a fantastic paleo breakfast of leftover spaghetti squash, homemade tomato sauce that had leftover meatloaf in it, topped it with a couple of eggs and Whallaa! I have been back on it and am feeling quite well. I really think my body loves this way of eating. Last night i wanted something else but wasn't sure what it was, so i was perusing the kitchen and came across some some organic unsweetened coconut flakes. Love them! Even my hubbie is loving the whole Paleo thing

Yup, That is the truth, I just thought when I was shopping, must be some nice pickles, that are just pickles.. NOPE! Just I am going to try my hand at canning this summer.
    Canning is super fun and really easy (just time consuming). A great way to know exactly what you're getting when you open the jar. And nothing beats summer-ripe peaches in February.
    Jigga:

I have fallen off the bandwagon.

Just after this thread closed temporarily, I went on a business trip, and it totally ruined me. I've been finding it really hard to get back into the groove. I feel so gross, but it's like that isn't enough motivation. I'm just not sure how to reset and start all over.

Bigbay just go shopping and off you go!

I've been sick with whooping cough (self-diagnosed) since this thread was last closed and most of the time haven't been able to cook or shop and was at the mercy of DH and the kids. It's not been good!

But I just had a tasty venison backstrap portion for breakfast and finally some energy to shop and cook...

Quote Originally Posted by lucky dog farm View Post
    I just had a fantastic paleo breakfast of leftover spaghetti squash, homemade tomato sauce that had leftover meatloaf in it, topped it with a couple of eggs and Whallaa! I have been back on it and am feeling quite well. I really think my body loves this way of eating. Last night i wanted something else but wasn't sure what it was, so i was perusing the kitchen and came across some some organic unsweetened coconut flakes. Love them! Even my hubbie is loving the whole Paleo thing
    YUMMMMY! Your body does like this way of eating cause it is what it was meant to eat, not things created in a chemical lab!
    I adore spaghetti squash. I made a home made tomato and meat sauce with lots of garlic and served it over spaghetti sauce. Tasted better than spaghetti~

Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    I have fallen off the bandwagon.

Just after this thread closed temporarily, I went on a business trip, and it totally ruined me. I've been finding it really hard to get back into the groove. I feel so gross, but it's like that isn't enough motivation. I'm just not sure how to reset and start all over.
    IT is oaky to fall off, GET BACK ON.. Go get real food, and feel great again.
    We need a Clean eating support group!

Canning is super fun and really easy (just time consuming). A great way to know exactly what you're getting when you open the jar. And nothing beats summer-ripe peaches in February.
    That is my plan for this summer. I have the time, I just have to learn how!

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Bigbay just go shopping and off you go!
    IT is oaky to fall off, GET BACK ON.. Go get real food, and feel great again.
    We need a Clean eating support group!
    Thanks, you guys! We DO need a clean eating supporting group, but even getting this bit of support from the two of you is really helpful. Just the bit of motivation I need to get off this couch and get going!