The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    You have to get a whole lot of new friends -- I could never invite someone over for dinner if they said they were on this diet.
    Not quite, in fact my friends and family look forward to when I cook, because they know it is going to taste delicious and they aren't going to feel like crap the next day. This diet forces you to be creative with cooking if you don't want to eat the same thing constantly. I discovered all sorts of old recipes that were easily tweaked or already worked for this lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakHack View Post
    I've lived for 36 years thinking "low fat, count your calories, weight loss is as easy as calories in versus calories out" is the way to go. I've been overweight and obese since age 5, and have always had a vicious sweet tooth. I started counting calories and logging exercise at age 8 under a dietitian's supervision and direction. Fat was the enemy.

After this topic came up on the last OT day, I switched to eating full fat proteins. Guess what? Craving for sweets is GONE. Now I pretty much eat fatty meats, dark green veggies, eggs, and whole dairy. I don't feel hungry all the time like I used to. Weight is so far about the same, but the constant cravings that used to lead to carb binges are gone.
    Exact same experience here. I'm not nearly as hungry; no sugar cravings, no pizza/bread cravings! I've been tracking what I'm eating (using www.fitday.com) and I'm actually consuming fewer calories per day than I did previously when I was trying to "diet". I would never have believed someone if they told me I could eat 1200-1400 calories in a day and be completely satisfied. I'm eating about 60-65% of calories from fat.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Exact same experience here. I'm not nearly as hungry; no sugar cravings, no pizza/bread cravings! I've been tracking what I'm eating (using www.fitday.com) and I'm actually consuming fewer calories per day than I did previously when I was trying to "diet". I would never have believed someone if they told me I could eat 1200-1400 calories in a day and be completely satisfied. I'm eating about 60-65% of calories from fat.
    Yet another happy customer!

The low carb or Paleo nutrition theory is the only one out there that conforms to the long-known, completely undisputed facts of endocrinology. Carbohydrates cause rising blood glucose which raises insulin which causes storage of fat. None of this is now, or ever has been in dispute--to the extent that Taubes has dubbed it "Endocrinology 101." It is old hat to farmers fattening livestock.

Within the next 2-3 years, the medics, the "registered dieticians" and the other wonks are going to have to come clean to the public about it, lest dialysis stations outnumber GAS stations in our cities. Right now the newspaper articles about "healthy eating" are just laughable--total cognitive dissonance! They're trying to be "low carb" while still refusing to stop demonizing dietary fat. If the carbs are not replaced with enough fat, the diet becomes "high protein," which IS dangerous. They're going to be forced to admit they were wrong.

It's going to be interesting to watch how this plays out . . . invest in pork belly futures!

2 members found this post helpful.

Bumping this up, I am running out of ideas for dinner. Been eating Fish,
    Chicken, Sweet potatoes, veggies, I am a pretty boring cook, but this food does fill you up. Been Pretty much wheat free for a few weeks now. All I have to do to avoid anything with wheat is think of the description of what happens to your body when you eat all those processed carbs and I am good! LOL
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Same here...I have no problem staying off wheat. I know how it makes me feel and I think of it as poison.

Why no beef for dinner? Pork? Lamb? Every now and then I do a spaghetti squash marinara...a vegetarian meal more or less...and enjoy it. I love Shepherd's pie using cauliflower versus potatoes. Love a good pot roast now and then. How about Irish stew...ham and cabbage with carrots? (hold the potatoes on that and it's still delicious.)

That's all I can think of right now with only half a cup of coffee in me.

Nom Nom Paleo and PaleOMG are two fantastic Paleo blogs with incredible recipes. I've made several from Nom Nom Paleo and have loved them.

Yesterday I was craving a hot mug of something at work. We were all out of green tea and I had just bought some raw wildflower honey. Friends who are strict Paleos urged me to try coffee with honey. I am allowing myself some dairy, so in place of the sugar I used a little bit of honey. Wouldn't you know, it was FANTASTIC! And you don't need a lot of it for a sweet touch. I would be careful of the type of honey used, but the wildflower doesn't taste like I put honey in my coffee. It was so good I'm going to try it without any dairy.

I think I need to start being a little stricter, but I have noticed most of my carb/wheat-based cravings had subsided. Treats still get the blood pumping, but I looked at some pizza in the work kitchen yesterday and did not feel a twinge.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Same here...I have no problem staying off wheat. I know how it makes me feel and I think of it as poison.

Why no beef for dinner? Pork? Lamb? Every now and then I do a spaghetti squash marinara...a vegetarian meal more or less...and enjoy it. I love Shepherd's pie using cauliflower versus potatoes. Love a good pot roast now and then. How about Irish stew...ham and cabbage with carrots? (hold the potatoes on that and it's still delicious.)

That's all I can think of right now with only half a cup of coffee in me.
    Sharon, I am fine with beef, Too bad so far I have not found any grass fed beef. Refuse to get the crap in the grocery store.
    I put pork chops in the slow cooker and had that for dinner last night OHMY GOSH Irish stew. Awesome. Any suggestions on how to cook? Like I said boring cook here!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

There are tons of things you can make with lots of eggs, and they are great because they give you both the fat and protein you need in one nice neat tasty package! We get our own from a flock of about 30 with enough left over to sell to friends and neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    You have to get a whole lot of new friends -- I could never invite someone over for dinner if they said they were on this diet.
    This made me think back to what my diet was when I was growing up.
    Basically: tea with bread and honey, lunch: salad first, meat or fish and veggies, and cheese with a bit of baguette (I grew up in France). 4 pm snack was a piece of fresh bread and dark chocolate squares and a fruit. Dinner, usually a soup or salad, and cheese. Lunch was the bigger meal.

Then when I got married, lunch became a very small, quick (or no) meal, with dinner being the big one, and my husband insisted on having carbs every meal. He felt cheated when he had no pasta or rice or lots of bread.

I have slowly, over the years, converted him to a "less carbs" diet, but it's been tricky!

I am not about to ditch fresh bread completely, but paleo style dinners would not bother me at all. Actually, I am going to look into those paleo recipe books, for variety.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    This made me think back to what my diet was when I was growing up.
    Basically: tea with bread and honey, lunch: salad first, meat or fish and veggies, and cheese with a bit of baguette (I grew up in France). 4 pm snack was a piece of fresh bread and dark chocolate squares and a fruit. Dinner, usually a soup or salad, and cheese. Lunch was the bigger meal.

Then when I got married, lunch became a very small, quick (or no) meal, with dinner being the big one, and my husband insisted on having carbs every meal. He felt cheated when he had no pasta or rice or lots of bread.

I have slowly, over the years, converted him to a "less carbs" diet, but it's been tricky!

I am not about to ditch fresh bread completely, but paleo style dinners would not bother me at all. Actually, I am going to look into those paleo recipe books, for variety.
    Exactly right, and the europeans do not have the obesity rate we do.
    that kind of eating you describe is very sensible.

Irish Stew is easy in a slow cooker. Just cut up a whole head of cabbage, add some ham chunks, add some carrots, and a little bit of water but it will not need much. Season to taste...I like salt, pepper and some bacon grease. Nom nom...let it cook 5-6 hours and yummy Irish stew. Usually potatoes are part it traditionally but it tastes fine without the potatoes.

I use eggs a lot for variety and texture, baked omelettes ect. egg salad in a lettuce wrap. Lettuce wraps are totally under-rated, they taste good!

You could do a stuffed steak/chicken...

coleslaw is a quick meal here.

chopped broccoli heads/red onion/mayo/soy sauce/sunflower seeds is a big hit here.

The whole no breakfast, light lunch and Thanksgiving Dinner at the end of the day is a killer! My husband's work schedule changed about a year ago so that we couldn't do the big meal at the end of the day any more and it made a big difference!

A couple meals I had this week: (note: not 100% paleo as I do add a bit of cheese - I will probably start cutting out dairy in the next few weeks)

Cheeseburger Cauliflower
    Ground beef cooked w/ onions, mixed with cooked cauliflower, add a bit of cheese, served w/ tomato slices, hot peppers and pickles

Crunchy Chicken fingers
    Chicken breast strips, dipped in beaten egg and then rolled in a mixture of finely chopped walnuts, Parmesan cheese and salt/pepper/parsleyflakes. Baked in oven, served w/ salad and a mayo-based dip.

"Pasta"
    Tomato sauce with ground beef, mushrooms, onion. Instead of pasta, served over a mixture of sauteed zucchini strips and cabbage strips. I also added parmesan cheese to this. I made this spicy and it was awesome.

Bacon/onion/cabbage sauteed together, served w/ cheese & sour cream.

Lunches are usually leftovers or huge salads with chicken breast, avocado, nuts, cheese, etc.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Irish Stew is easy in a slow cooker. Just cut up a whole head of cabbage, add some ham chunks, add some carrots, and a little bit of water but it will not need much. Season to taste...I like salt, pepper and some bacon grease. Nom nom...let it cook 5-6 hours and yummy Irish stew. Usually potatoes are part it traditionally but it tastes fine without the potatoes.
    This will be my birthday Dinner!! ( March 17th)
    How do you get over the smell of the cabbage cooking??

Here is a simply easy and wonderful chicken recipe for your slow cooker:http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...n-a-crock-pot/

Its sooooo good!

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Exactly right, and the europeans do not have the obesity rate we do.
    that kind of eating you describe is very sensible.
    Most europeans also live in cities and don't drive every place, but mostly walk, at least walk to get to public transportation and from that stop back home.

I just made this and it was Fantastic!!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/spice...#axzz2Lfj3jbl9

yeah, it's not all about diet- diet won't fix everything. But it's an easy place to start.

Did you see the study where they showed that low-fat diets actually slow down your basal metabolic rate? so if you try to "diet" by eating low-fat, you end up needing fewer calories just to exist, so you don't lose any weight and may actually GAIN weight.

I've been experimenting with turnips and kale lately. Lots of interesting, tasty dishes you can make- last night I had a turnip-beef-mushroom stew and crispy-fried kale in tomato sauce, it was delicious. People who call this diet "limited" don't know what they are talking about. A diet of pasta and potatoes is limited; my diet has more variety and flavor in it than most people's.

2 members found this post helpful.

I remember that article, if I'm thinking of the same one: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article....icleid=1199154

We do a lot with greens too. And squash, we love squash, can't believe how expensive it got.

Oh GREAt recipes you guys, I am going to write them all down, They have me drooling.
    Yes Wendy the Low fat thing is true, Also stated in the wheat belly book.
    I have friends who refuse to believe it@!!!