The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Default The Paleo thing

Ok, getting desperate for various reasons I decided to look at Paleo foods.

The first thing that struck me was all the foods that are 'verboten'

And I am not talking about the processed crap or grains.

I mean I can understand that sugars in large amounts are bad, regardless of source, but they are hardly completely artificial!

next, of course I am amazed that there is no love for legumes....I am sure the cavemen didn't turn down a pod of seeds....although I do understand the beans of today don't resemble much what was around back then.....
    That goes double for soy...OMG it's poison...not to long ago it was hailed as the female health fountain of youth....

I suppose we can do without peanuts...I can for most parts,thank you very much.

But how come something that is hardly universal is hailed as such a great paleo food when it it geographically highly restricted: Coconut oil...I am sure I have not seen a palm tree where I live, and it is relatively warm here....

Ok, I ahve barely broken ground, so I am sure in my dummie book there is an explanation somewhere....but I would appreciate cliff notes.

(I am considering easing into the matter...I mean, if you are too tired to go grocery shopping and cooking...I suppose the 5h energy shot is acceptable to start off with?)
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

I think legumes are mainly excluded because they are hard to digest and inflammatory as well as full of phytates which block mineral absorption. Grains are also and are worse than legumes. I still eat a few green beans now and then but generally avoid legumes. I think in moderation, you can enjoy a few beans now and then. At first I'd try to follow the rules and get away from them. Add stuff back later after you get more "stable" and see if it bothers you. I did that with dairy and found I can tolerate a small amount of cheese without and "event" so just take it slow and listen to your body.

It does help to go straight on it for a few weeks and just marvel at how much better you feel off all that stuff.

I'm still trying to figure out the coconut oil also. I did the Paleo Diet book version by Loren Cordain, PHD, and he recommended olive oil. I know animal fats like lard are much more stable under heat and don't produce free radicals as vegetable oils do so they have their fans also.

What book are you reading? I've read mainly Cordain's and Robb Wolf's. There's a lot more out there now than those two and several versions of Paleo/Primal.

Under both Wolf and Cordain, honey and maple syrup and other natural sweeteners are allowed in reasonable amounts.

1 members found this post helpful.

I literally grabbed the 'for Dummies' book.
    it had some pictures in it and was a bit cheaper than the fancier books. Joulwan/Petroucci are the authors.

it is not so much an issue about the diet causing known problems, more one of a general feeling that needs to be addressed, and frankly, I am bored with food right now.
    Bad thing, because right this minute I am also starving, but can't think of a thing I want to eat.
    Not even the girl scout cookies tempt me this year.
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

I've been doing Paleo for a few weeks now as a challenge with my box. Honestly, it's difficult at first but gets easier and it's amazing how much better you feel after doing it for a while.

It really wasn't too difficult for me to work within the parameters. I don't like legumes and therefore didn't eat them before. I tried to avoid grains (although not as much as I do now). I limited sugar. The hardest part was the no dairy thing. Which now I have slowly added back in (I allow myself a glass of milk once in a great while, or a cheese stick as a snack).

I noticed incredible results while combining crossfit and paleo. I was actually HAPPY with how my body looked, and I haven't been happy about that in a long long time. Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time to do crossfit now that I am back at school but I am still continuing with the paleo/primal and healthy eating.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

2 members found this post helpful.

I recently read "Why We Get Fat (and what to do about it)" which is the simplified version of "Good Calories, Bad Calories."

I *think* the diet he recommends is the same as the Paleo diet -- all the meat, fat and eggs you want, some leafy greens, and not much else.

And I look at my counter top, which has containers of four different kinds of flour, plus whole oats, cornmeal, sugar... and I just can't do it. There's just no way I'm giving up dairy *and* grains.

And yet I really think has a point about the reduced calorie diet plus exercise for weight loss -- it's not sustainable for most people.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    I recently read "Why We Get Fat (and what to do about it)" which is the simplified version of "Good Calories, Bad Calories."

I *think* the diet he recommends is the same as the Paleo diet -- all the meat, fat and eggs you want, some leafy greens, and not much else.

And I look at my counter top, which has containers of four different kinds of flour, plus whole oats, cornmeal, sugar... and I just can't do it. There's just no way I'm giving up dairy *and* grains.

And yet I really think has a point about the reduced calorie diet plus exercise for weight loss -- it's not sustainable for most people.
    well, all our lifetime we have been told to eat dairy and grains....it's a hard habit to break!

We actually eat relatively little bread/other grains or dairy. although, cheese can be hard to avoid....who ever came up with smothering vegetables in cheap cheese was a wholesome meal?

But what amazed me, readin on a website - I think he called it 'primal' though, not paleo - the guy was having protein shakes in the pantry...
    So even there are variations around already...

Grains are far worse for you than dairy so if you have to pick and choose what you can give up, ditch the grains and particularly wheat. You will feel absolutely amazing if you give it a try. I know no one who has not felt less bloated, more alert and more energetic. Some people have remarkable results giving up wheat in particular. Being a Celiac sufferer, I can sure relate...and that simply shows how many people are having "issues" with wheat that don't realize it.

The last numbers I saw suggested that up to 1/3 of Americans could have gluten sensitivity to some degree. Also many autoimmune problems are being tied back to inflammation in the digestive system and the main culprit for that damage is wheat.

If you want to be blown away, read the book "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis.

Alagirl, pick up the original book "The Paleo Diet" by L. Cordain. I think that is the best book to really help you understand the why of the diet as well as the how. I think that is important to know. www.robbwolf.com is a great site. His book is good but I like the other one a bit more. He has a lot of educational stuff on his site as well and it's all free. There is also a forum where you can ask questions.

3 members found this post helpful.

thanks.
    it was the spur of a moment purchase and the bookstore only had a few on hand, the Dummie one seemed most fitting.

I actually do react to dairy when I am stressed. Which I am now, and don't know why....

I love dairy but can do without grains no problem.

If you want to read up on detailed Paleo people check out lowcarbfriends.com, there's a board for everything there.

Avoid artificial sweeteners if you can; I am stressed pretty badly right now and AS make it a lot worse. Wine helps.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    I love dairy but can do without grains no problem.

If you want to read up on detailed Paleo people check out lowcarbfriends.com, there's a board for everything there.

Avoid artificial sweeteners if you can; I am stressed pretty badly right now and AS make it a lot worse. Wine helps.
    I kissed artificial sweeteners good bye a long time ago. I think they don't agree with me and give me low grade head aches.
    But so can wine...when I make it a whole bottle at night...

That is the tough part-wine makes it all go away but then it all comes back in spades, usually at 3 am...

I read your other post and didn't have time to answer there but I have a bottle of B Complex vitamins (slow release if that matters) and Vit D3 next to the computer where I drink my morning coffee and they help me. I'm sure exercise is a help but I need an inbetween to get me moving toward the exercise... just do whatever you can, today I took the dogs for a drive instead of a walk and ended up at a place I wanted to walk so it all worked out. Fatigue and stress are bad things.

3 members found this post helpful.

I know I did buy a new bottle of D3 (to replace the one I forgot at my dad's) but I misplaced it
    B complex, check, got Ginko and Ginseng...Iron....I had E&C, but I think it's next to the bottle of D3 at my dad's...

They say the mind is the 2nd thing to go....but what was the first?

I forget... and I blame the d3 but never the wine...

Hang in there, you're not alone and spring is coming and things are all going to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Grains are far worse for you than dairy so if you have to pick and choose what you can give up, ditch the grains and particularly wheat. You will feel absolutely amazing if you give it a try. I know no one who has not felt less bloated, more alert and more energetic. Some people have remarkable results giving up wheat in particular. Being a Celiac sufferer, I can sure relate...and that simply shows how many people are having "issues" with wheat that don't realize it.

The last numbers I saw suggested that up to 1/3 of Americans could have gluten sensitivity to some degree. Also many autoimmune problems are being tied back to inflammation in the digestive system and the main culprit for that damage is wheat.

If you want to be blown away, read the book "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis.

Alagirl, pick up the original book "The Paleo Diet" by L. Cordain. I think that is the best book to really help you understand the why of the diet as well as the how. I think that is important to know. www.robbwolf.com is a great site. His book is good but I like the other one a bit more. He has a lot of educational stuff on his site as well and it's all free. There is also a forum where you can ask questions.
    Ditto About the Wheat Belly Book Sharon, IT is mind blowing!! Totally eye opening.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Default Typical Day?

For those that do Paleo/Primal, what does your day look like?

I love nomnompaleo for ideas. Before the holidays, I spent a few weeks eating mostly Paleo (to fit into my show boots) and loved how I felt. On top of feeling great, I'm a T1 diabetic and my rollercoaster up/down days went away. But OMG, the planning required to eat well was very difficult for me. And as long as I cook dinner its no biggie, but if my husband cooks? For get about no grains/flours.

So, I'd love to hear what everyone eats during a day or week.

You guys have motivated me to get back on a plan. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    For those that do Paleo/Primal, what does your day look like?
    !
    Today's meals:
    Breakfast: "hash" of nitrate free organic sausage, bell peppers and onions topped with avacado slices and fresh salsa
    Snack: Clementine
    Lunch: Salad- mixed greens and baby spinach, grilled chicken and mushrooms (no dressing as I find any and all salad dressing pretty gross)
    Snack: celery and carrot sticks
    Dinner: Steamed piece of wild caught salmon, roasted asparagus and broccoli, 1/2 baked sweet potato.
    Desert: Sliced Kiwi

Also should add that I walk or do the elliptical in the AM and ride in the evening
    Last edited by tabula rashah; Feb. 5, 2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: add info
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Ah, I forgot the other food paleo frowns upon: why is the spud so hated?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Ah, I forgot the other food paleo frowns upon: why is the spud so hated?
    From what I understand potatoes are kind of a grey area and whether or not you eat them on a Paleo diet depends on your body and your activity level. They do contain high levels of starches that can be tough to process if you are insulin resistant or lead a fairly sedentary life style. But if your metabolism can handle them and you are an active person who would benefit from eating them, then they are fine since unlike grains the only process they need to be edible is to heat them.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Today's meals:
    Breakfast: "hash" of nitrate free organic sausage, bell peppers and onions topped with avacado slices and fresh salsa
    Lunch: Salad- mixed greens and baby spinach, grilled chicken and mushrooms (no dressing as I find any and all salad dressing pretty gross)
    Dinner: Steamed piece of wild caught salmon, roasted asparagus and broccoli, 1/2 baked sweet potato.

Also should add that I walk or do the elliptical in the AM and ride in the evening
    I could eat that every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Today's meals:

Sounds delicious! I want the hash. Now! I really need to start getting up earlier so I can have a better breakfast. If I eat a good breakfast, the rest of the day is sooooo much easier. It just means getting up even earlier than I already do.