The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The JR8 just doesn't look right on an adult or teen. Or a kid with a large head (my sister she wears a 7 5/8s in the Gr8) I don't like COs but I LOVE IRHs I just retired my old IRH, the model similar to the GR8 and bought an IRH elite extreme in black/charcoal. I love it!!! It looks a lot like a GPA speed air. When I first got it i was worried it would be to "jumpery" but it looks fine in the eq ring!
    Princess: evil first pony, Patch: RIP my baby girl, Lucky:I miss you, Molly:be good for your new kid, Charisma: my current project

I find that the JR8 and GR8 fit slightly differently. I have a GR8 and a Hampton and they fit very similarly, but the JR8 presses into the back of my head a little bit. My mother has the opposite problem; loves her JR8 and finds my two helmets very uncomfortable.

I really didn't like the GR8 when I tried it a few years ago, but I was talked into trying a JR8 when I was helmet shopping in December and ended up actually liking it a lot. It sat a little bit higher on my head at first but as it started to break in it's farther down, and is very comfortable. A couple other adults and teens at my barn have gotten it and it doesn't look odd on them. I think you just need to try both and see which fits your head better.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

I have the JR8, and I am an adult, and it looks just fine so I'm not sure what's with people saying the thing doesn't look right, generally. It fits me well and I love it!

So if you can, try both! If the JR8 fits, get it - it's cheaper Spend what you save on treats!

I have to disagree, but maybe it's because I'm a short adult and it looks fine on me...

Going off the images on the website saying they're different shapes is a little off, especially when the images on the website are resized. It has a slight difference in the way the outer material meets the inner, but they're really the same. I've had both the GR8 and the JR8 and noticed no difference except the fact that my wallet was a little happier when I went with a JR8! :P

I just went through this. Tried both the JR8 and GR8.

JR8- Didn't sit far enough down at at the back for my preference.
    It felt like it wouldn't protect as well as helmets like IRH and the GR8 which both fell farther down at the back of my head.
    I also found the helmet tight on the sides of my head but lots of room back and front.

GR8- Fit much better, more coverage and I prefer the harness. But I was not about to pay the price tag since the helmet just didn't strike me as worth it.
    I found much better priced helmets with the same quality features.

Plus, neither the JR8 and GR8 felt very breathable. I hate head sweat!

I purchased a Pegasus Euro Jumper- great price and wonderful helmet.
    Also look into the IRH SSV which I also have. Great price and good helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by pryme_thyme View Post
    I just went through this. Tried both the JR8 and GR8.

JR8- Didn't sit far enough down at at the back for my preference.
    It felt like it wouldn't protect as well as helmets like IRH and the GR8 which both fell farther down at the back of my head.
    I also found the helmet tight on the sides of my head but lots of room back and front.

GR8- Fit much better, more coverage and I prefer the harness. But I was not about to pay the price tag since the helmet just didn't strike me as worth it.
    I found much better priced helmets with the same quality features.
    Thanks, this was just the kind of comments I was looking for. My problem when I bought the GR8 was that I felt like it was the only helmet with the right amount of coverage, rather than sitting "on" my head.

Since feedback seems to be mixed on fit and differences, I guess it'll just be up to what fits my head best when I go try them on. Sounds like there's not much difference, other than what will fit best!

Quote Originally Posted by 222orchids View Post
    I got my AYR8 from a tack shop in the UK through ebay for $224, shipping and all. Once you decide what you want look for it there, as to price.
    I did this too. Had a very pleasant experience, it didn't take long to get here and the price couldn't have been better.

The lady at the tack store I bought my helmet from wouldn't sell me the JR8 (it had to be special ordered because I have a very small head). I was a bit annoyed because I thought I had been clear about which helmet I wanted (had the JR8 and it fit pretty well, but wanted to try it on in case the sizing had changed) so I wish she had been clear up front. However, I do have to echo what others have said about the GR8 coming down further in back and such. I feel like it does kind of "cup" my head better and I feel more secure. I also have an Ovation that fits just as well and was a quarter of the price!