The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GR8 vs. JR8?

Trying to search for those helmet names was impossible on here, so I'll just ask

It's rolling around to replacement time for my GR8. I haven't fallen on it, but it's getting close to that 5 year mark (or maybe is a year past it?) and I'm hoping to use my tax refund money to replace it in the next month or so, before the spring show season starts. I love the fit of my GR8, and out of everything I tried on when I originally bought it, it fit the best. But there have been a lot of new helmets come out in the meantime, including the JR8. It looks like the same helmet, with a slightly different harness, at half the cost? Is there something I'm missing? Is the fit different between the two?

I do plan to go try both on, as well as several other hats just to see (any suggestions?) how they fit comparatively. But it seems silly to spend twice the price for the GR8 if the JR8 is the same helmet. I do a mix of local hunters/jumpers/eventing/dressage, so I really don't care about being on the cutting edge of helmet fashion, I just want something safe, well-fitting, and simple.

I believe the only two "real" differences and the harness and the sizing. I'm fairly certain the JR8s don't go up as high in size as the GR8s.

I'm told the fit is slightly different.... and yes the harness is different

I recently tried on the entire line of Charles Owen (GR8, AYR8, JR8, and SP8).
    * The JR8 is listed as a Junior Helmet. I was able to find one that fit, but it just didn't feel right. There was always some part of it that didn't seem quite right.
    * The GR8 and AYR8 both fit excellent and I loved the security of the harness. The only difference for me was the GR8 sat quite high on my head and I looked like I was wearing half-a-basketball on my head. The AYR8 sat slightly lower and ultimately was the best.
    * The SP8 was nice and fit well, though not as well as the AYR8. The bigger brim was nice but I found it to be a little distracting, and I didn't love the look.

As far as helmet quality, they are all the same. If you don't care about the harness then it comes down to fit vs. price. Hopefully, you will be able to get the best price and best fit in one model.

Good luck!
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

The GR8 comes in larger sizes than the JR8, I believe.

If you want something that looks similar to a CO, I really love my IRH XR9. Both that and the AYR8 I school in fit me, but I'm not sure how the fit compares to a GR8. The IRH XR9 seems a lot nicer and more comfortable than other IRH helmets I've tried on or used.

Quote Originally Posted by caughtintheact View Post
    The GR8 comes in larger sizes than the JR8, I believe.

If you want something that looks similar to a CO, I really love my IRH XR9.
    Thanks for the info so far, everyone! The JR8, from what I can tell, does come in the size I need, so that shouldn't be a problem. I actually like the harness snap on it better than the GR8, whose harness suede bled when it got wet at a show, and seems like a less secure closure than the bigger sliding snap on both the JR8 and the AYR8.

I actually had an IRH helmet before I bought the GR8, so I'll scope out of a few of those models to try on when I'm shopping, too!

I've the JR8 and the AYR8.

JR8 only came in smaller sizes but still fit me very well. Looked very sharp and fit my budget. The different harness is the only major difference I found - however it took a few months of schooling before my trainer noticed the I didn't have a more expensive model It wore like iron and lasted me 5 years.

I got the AYR8 as a gift. Truthfully, other than the look of the mesh "venting" in the center, I haven't noticed much of a difference.

The lady at the tack store told me they were exactly the same. The JR8 have a different shape compared to GR8's. I would go with the GR8. My JR8 is very uncomfortable and squeezes the back of my head. I've tried on the AYR8 and GR8 and found that I don't have this problem with other helmets.

IRH ELITE EQ. The CO's just weren't working for my head!

I'm not sure why everyone is saying the JR8 doesn't come in big sizes....we carry them up to a 7 1/2 in my tack shop. I've never needed a larger one so I can't say if they come bigger, but still 7 1/2 is a pretty large size.

Quote Originally Posted by shedllybip View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone is saying the JR8 doesn't come in big sizes....we carry them up to a 7 1/2 in my tack shop. I've never needed a larger one so I can't say if they come bigger, but still 7 1/2 is a pretty large size.
    People are saying that the GR8 comes in a bigger size, which it does.

They are available in the following sizes:

GR8 - 6 3/8 - 8 (52 cm – 65 cm)
    JR8 - 6 3/8 - 7 1/2 (52 cm - 61 cm)

The JR8 is NOT a "junior" helmet. If it was, it certainly wouldn't be available up to 7 1/2. That would be one pumpkin-headed junior.

The fit is slightly different. A 7 1/8 JR8 is going to be a bit smaller than a 7 1/8 GR8. I have no idea why except that possibly because the lining in each is different. So the differences I have noticed are the harness, slight size difference and the lining is also different.

If you look here, they also appear to have different shapes. Interesting.

I've had both and the JR8 never sat far enough down, if you don't have that much hair it'll probably be fine but honesty I didn't feel secure it it and didn't like how it looked. On the other hand I LOVE MY GR8 I like how I look, it sits just right and it feels so great
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

I had a GR8 first, then got an AYR8. The fit was pretty similar in my experience. The JYR8 didn't fit me. It was a lot narrower.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by Kat. View Post
    I've had both and the JR8 never sat far enough down, if you don't have that much hair it'll probably be fine but honesty I didn't feel secure it it and didn't like how it looked. On the other hand I LOVE MY GR8 I like how I look, it sits just right and it feels so great
    this...I have had both and have had students that have had both, and the JR-8 just looks funny, doesnt sit quite right on the head.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I think that the JR8 fits a little "shorter" than and GR8. I have trouble with my head being short-waisted, and many helmets sit on my ears even when they fit correctly around. Maybe my ears are just high, but that's how it is.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I have a... well.. not a small head (also oval shaped) and I found a JR8 that fits. I think it makes me look like a bobble head but for schooling I don't mind too much. The JR8 may not be flattering but it looks better than most "schooling" helmets I think.

I got my AYR8 from a tack shop in the UK through ebay for $224, shipping and all. Once you decide what you want look for it there, as to price.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    I think that the JR8 fits a little "shorter" than and GR8. I have trouble with my head being short-waisted, and many helmets sit on my ears even when they fit correctly around. Maybe my ears are just high, but that's how it is.
    Yes, I do believe the JR8 has a shorter and also a rounder fit.