The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any women with thinning hair out there?

I am over 40 and I see my hair thinning, especially in the front. Anyone else have this issue? Any way to help slow it down or get some to grow... Any help at all? Pleeeease....

Look forward to hearing answers if anyone has them.

Me, too. Actually it fell out in phases since my mid 20s. It's not fun at all. I have finally started using Women's Rogaine and I think it does help. I am concerned about long-term use, but I decided it's the right thing for me right now.

I do wonder about a hormonal imbalance or a connection to allergies. But my mother says she has thinning hair, too, so genetics is a likely culprit. And stress.

Edit: I'm 42.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

I take prenatal supplements and that's helped me. I didn't ever have a certain area that was thinning, but in general I noticed this happening as early as my late 20s! I've tried many vitamins over the years and prenatal have worked best for me. They also help the skin/nails.

Ah, thinning hair- there are so many reasons it could be happening - age, genetics, hormonal imabalances, scalp/skin conditions, nutritional deficiencies...

Supplements can help (especially those targeted to hair/skin/nails- the extra biotin and B vitamins really give the body a boost in producing the tissue and protien components that make up our h/s/n).

Topical treatments, like Rogaine and Nioxin (a line of shampoos, conditioners, and scalp treatments- very good for the hair and scalp!) are also effective.

A trip to a dermatologist can rule out/Dx any specific scalp issues that may be a contributing factor.

I definitely suggest a trip to your GYN or internist for a full workup... I know women who have experienced massive hair loss, only to find out that they have PCOS (which effects their hormones); or for one reason or another (pre-menopause, etc.) are not producing as much estrogen as they need. In other cases, they've discovered that they have a thyroid issue, that has been causing their hair loss. Or a vitamin/mineral deficiency.

Of course, stress plays a role to large degree... and you can manage stress to an extent; but definitely pursue a full health workup- you may be surprised at what you find/don't find; and how it may be effecting your hair.

Age is also a major factor... and while we can't manage that or change it; a good dermatologist should be able to point you in the right direction (in the event that there are no other underlying hormonal/internal issues).

Quick questions-

• do you wear your hair pulled up/back frequently/for long periods of time?
    • In that same vein, do you wear a lot of hats or headbands that could be putting pressure, or rubbing on the areas in which you are experiencing hair loss?
    • Do you color your hair, or is your hair otherwise chemically treated in any way?

If I think of anything else, I will be sure to come back and add to this thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    tomorrow i wear tight t-shirt that says peaches across my boobs in big orange letters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Watts View Post
    Yes, the world is a strange place. Have a glass of wine.

Thanks for the replies. Reese I can answer YES to all. I did recently stop wearing baseball caps as someone told me that that could rub the hair out. I have always lost a lot of hair but I can actually see scalp in the front and it is bothering me! I do wear my hair back all the time. I know thats probably not good, but now that its thinning it looks worse styled.

A few years ago I did have my thyroid sonogramed because my blood test came back in the "gray" zone according to my doctor. The sonogram did not reveal anything unusual. Maybe I should get that checked again; I am due for blood work.

I do think I am pre-menopausal, I am 42. Maybe for the short term I should try some Rogaine or something to help (or start eating the biotin I add to my horses' feed!). I take a daily multi and that helps with energy, etc.

Another poster mentioned genetics, and I do notice that my mom has thinning hair as well. maybe I am just doomed. I seem to have inherited every bad trait from both sides of the family!!!!
    Last edited by SunkenMeadow; Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: sp

Just because you're 42 doesn't mean your hormones aren't slowing down. Peri-menopause can go for years before the onset of real menopause. Genetics do play a factor in thinning hair, but a tendency to thyroid problems, or diet, or many other factors can too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

When my thyroid crapped out on me, I literally lost half my hair. I have to use baby hair clips and pony tail holders now. It is finally growing back, but it still doesn't feel as thick as it was. My hair has always been fine, but I had a lot of it.

Get your thyroid checked - it can change rapidly and have a hard impact on a lot of your body. Hair loss is a big sign.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

mine started to thin out. I am 40 & noticed it this spring when I made the mistake of getting fringe bangs. ACK! totally emphasized that I have a lot more visible scalp than before....

It isn't so much that I lost hairs, but that each one is thinner. I have long hair & it is up near the scalp where it is most noticeable.

Unless there is a pathology, there isn't too much to do. I take skin/hair supplements already. My dermatologist didn't have too much good news. The minoxidil only works for some, you have to use it every day, and it kind of makes hair look ick. If my hair continues in the direction it is going, I may end up trying it. Apparently compounding it with other topicals can make it more effective.

You can def. try to be gentler so as not to pull out what is already there (no tight pony tails, etc as mentioned above).

Bumping this thread because I wanted to say that since I cut all grains, sugar/artificial sweeteners and processed foods out of my diet and switched to a higher fat diet, my hair has stopped falling out and I think I am beginning to see new growth (I made the dietary changes at the beginning of February 2013). Just a thought for anyone who is having a problem with hair loss!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Some medications apparently can also affect hair growth. Extreme diets can do this also, especially low in protein diets.

I'm glad your hair loss seems to have reversed.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White