The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Helmets For The Extremely Round-Headed

My GPA Titium (the old school super-round one!) is going to have its 5th birthday this year, which means I need to start thinking about what on earth I'm going to replace it with.

The thing is, my head is round. Really round. Super-duper round. And tiny. And the Titium is an absolute PERFECT fit, but I hear that GPA no longer makes them in that shape. I'd also like to avoid spending $400 on a helmet again.

Any suggestions on helmets that are currently available that fit uber-round-headed people like me? The OneK looks interesting, and the Troxel Avalon is also kind of cool looking, admittedly. Charles Owens just don't fit me at all, and the last time I tried on an IRH it looked like it swallowed my face.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks y'all.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I, too, am blessed with a Charlie Brown-round head. I have a Tipperary Sportage for schooling that fits GREAT. Not sure if their nicer T-Series helmets fit the same, but might be worth looking into (can't say I'm crazy about how they look, though). I tried on a OneK and it fit really nicely. Stay away from Ovation -- seems to me those are for the more oval-headed. Can't lose with SmartPak -- free return shipping on sized items!

My husband has a Tipp and I've tried it on and it fits me HORRIBLY! I'll definitely check out the OneK when the time comes, the price is right and they are pretty cool looking.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

The GPA Extreme Pro seems to fit the same as the one you have. Just replaced mine.

Samshields fit me well but I haven't gotten around to buying one, I'm currently in a speed air which does fit very round, but is a little out of your price range. I think samshields makes a model under 400, but I could be wrong.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Check the Pegasus helmets. My head is round and it fits me well.

strange, I have an extremely round head as well and the CO is the only helmet to fit me (except a really odd one I bought in France when I was like 12)

IRH Elite Eq fit me better than any other helmet on the market, including the CO. I have a large head and CO was too oval and sat way high.

Love my Samshield Shadow Matte! It's only $395 vs. $500+ for the other Samshield models. You can also try the One K, which is basically the same shell with more vents.

So GPA helmets are not round shape anymore?

I have a GPA speed air and it is very round but I have tried at least 2 other speed air helmets (barn mates) and they are less round than mine! I'm a FIRM believer that you have to try it on first. I also have a CO GR8 and it's definitely oval. Good luck finding one

I think the old speed air model is rounder than the speed air evolution, and the first lady is really round and fit me perfectly, I just didn't want to drop 700 dollars on one that will probably go out of style as soon as Reed Kessler gets a new helmet.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by SunNSand View Post
    So GPA helmets are not round shape anymore?
    Sigh.........no not the ones I tried I ended up with a Samshield. Antares are also round but, well, I detest the look of them for the hunter ring!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I have a OneK and absolutely love it. When I compared the fit, it was very similar to the Samshield, at least for my own round head. Things I love about my OneK:

The price is fantastic for the quality (especially if you can get a discount at an expo.)
    The padding is amazingly comfortable. My head feels like it being cradled by pillows made of clouds.
    The antimicrobial lining is also super easy to remove and wash.
    The vents really do create good airflow. I was in the unbearably hot and humid south this past summer, and I didn't feel like my brains were boiling.
    It is very lightweight and I frequently forget I am wearing it.
    One of the best low-profile fits I've ever tried.

I could go on and on.

Anyone know of a tack store in Northern California that carries GPA helemts and has several models to try on in store?

Quote Originally Posted by TraceAndM View Post
    I have a OneK and absolutely love it. When I compared the fit, it was very similar to the Samshield, at least for my own round head. Things I love about my OneK:

The price is fantastic for the quality (especially if you can get a discount at an expo.)
    The padding is amazingly comfortable. My head feels like it being cradled by pillows made of clouds.
    The antimicrobial lining is also super easy to remove and wash.
    The vents really do create good airflow. I was in the unbearably hot and humid south this past summer, and I didn't feel like my brains were boiling.
    It is very lightweight and I frequently forget I am wearing it.
    One of the best low-profile fits I've ever tried.

I could go on and on.
    Seconding this - as I have also had a speed air and a co.. my onek is by far THE MOST comfortable thing I've ever had on my head. I haven't had anything but frigid Buffalo weather to try it in, but I LOVE it! I was also blessed with not having to pay for it since I won it as a prize, so that was another perk

Here's a shot with it on with my "special" family - http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...34164313_n.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.