The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for a horse

I am just wondering if there are any websites where an individual looking to purchase/lease a horse can post their details and budget. I was looking at Bigeq and don't see where this is possible. I understand that a coach/agent is desirable and we are currently using this avenue but I also believe that the internet is a valuable tool in a search. I am sure this may be available on certain websites, I obviously just don't know where to look.

Thanks in advance

Look on DreamHorse.com. I bought and sold my first horse from there. I don't know if you can post what you are looking for, but you can certainly tailor your search on it.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Are you basically looking for someplace to post a buyer ad instead of sites with sale ads? If you are, I don't think I really seen anything like that except sometimes on craigslist. Depending on what you're looking for craigslist might work (companion horse, green/resell project, etc.)

As an older junior looking without a trainer I found my perfect first jumper on bigeq. I was a serious enquirer and the horse owner was acting as her own agent. It worked out very well for both sides and I don't think the mare's owner was too put off by me not coming with a trainer. The important thing is to conduct yourself proffessionaly and only inquire if you are seriously interested. Don't waste anyone's time with a horse way out of your price range. When I went to look at (and eventually buy) my recent OTTB about a year ago I was a young ammy without a trainer as well. Again, it worked out really nicely.

There is no harm in looking on bigeq, and if you're not comfortable contacting or looking at a horse yourself, show your trainer the ads. I believe even the hunter/jumper exchange, which has a much higher base price range in general, allows amateurs with experience in selecting their own horses to contact sellers without a trainer. Good luck in your search!

Thanks very much for your responses. I am not shy about contacting sales ads at all. I agree that that may ultimately be the route to be used. I just thought it may also be useful to post your requirements and price range on a site where sellers could browse as well. There are many horses that may only be listed on the respective barns websites. If you, as the buyer, don't know the website you may never see the horse that fits your expectations. It seems to me that it could be a valuable tool for both the seller and buyer

I've seen a new website advertising a lot of facebook - http://www.isoequine.com/

Looks like you can put in your info and get a whole bunch of responses. Seems pretty new, though, not sure how many people are on it yet. It'd be worth a try, anyway.

Here is a Facebook group that does what you want. It is mostly California people, but there are those from other states. You could start one in your part of the country. This group is a closed group and you have to asked to be allowed to join. It looks like it is mostly trainers, but I'm a member and not a trainer. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2367...ref=ts&fref=ts

We are relatively new however we have found that the concept of a "reverse wanted ad" of buyers submitting their information (at no cost) and having sellers with appropriate horses contacting them directly is catching on!

Good luck in your search!
    __________________________________________________ __
    "Horse wanted ads with a twist."
    www.ISOEquine.com
    www.Facebook.com/ISOEquine

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the facebook groups

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Another vote for facebook- for my area, which is Ontario in Canada, there is about 10 different pages for sales, tack, wanteds etc. Couldn't hurt to try. The problem I find is that there is a whole lot of cheap crap; saddles, tack, clothing and horses alike, with waaay too many posters who either bump their ads a hundred times a day, have stuff priced way over whst a used item is worth or don't have the best of comminication skills.

http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/B...orseWanted.asp

Often scrolling through wanted ads baffles me. People want the strangest things, like a 10 mover, 10 jumper, sound & started over fences working hunter prospect for $5k. Even random things like specific markings? I haven't had much luck as a seller trying to find a match for my horse through wanted ads.

1 members found this post helpful.

Warmbloods 4 sale has a "wanted" section where you could post what type of horse you are interested in.
    Sandy in Fla.