The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

No Suggestions, but Congratulations!

I am planning TWO weddings for December 2013! We are having a Hindu ceremony and a "Western" ceremony.

My advice is, as others have said, is to plan something that reflects you two.

Find a venue you love with a wedding coordinator so you have someone herding the cats the week of and on the big day, can make recommendations for vendors, and so forth. You'll still be able to drive the process and manage the budget yourself. It's a built-in cost at most venues and I'm so thankful for ours!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Congrats! I had a NOVA wedding for around 100 guests and we were right around $15k, mostly because I wanted a plated beef dinner and my Daddy wanted an open bar. Did flowers ourselves, candy buffet for favor, had a DJ instead of the live band I really wanted.

If you don't have a venue, might I suggest the Middleburg Community Center? It was $2k, and they had tables and chairs to use. They also have a kitchen. We did the ceremony on the patio, cocktails and passed hors d'ouvres in the garden room, dinner and dancing in the ball room.

Your decisions about what is most important will be dependent upon your guest list, but stay true to what you and your future DH want. DH and I didn't want or need an open bar, but since we weren't paying, we didn't care. A younger crowd is going to need great music, plenty of room to dance. If it is mostly older relatives, plenty of seating and probably not a cocktail only reception.

my two pet peeves are food, and cash bars at wedding. There needs to be plenty of good food if you are getting married at a traditional 'eating' time of day. And cash bars at weddings just rub me the wrong way
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I've just never understood Northern style weddings that cost so darned much? You've got the flowers for the church, the fee for the preacher, and the reception, which can be anywhere that makes you happy. Down here we don't feed people full meals; we just give them cake, buttermints, toasted pecans, and booze. The groom is responsible for the rehearsal dinner.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I've just never understood Northern style weddings that cost so darned much? You've got the flowers for the church, the fee for the preacher, and the reception, which can be anywhere that makes you happy. Down here we don't feed people full meals; we just give them cake, buttermints, toasted pecans, and booze. The groom is responsible for the rehearsal dinner.
    My Michigan raised mother said she about starved to death at the first south of the Mason Dixon wedding my dad took her to. She had been expecting a multi course ethnic type feast and got cake and punch. I think she made him stop at McDonalds on the way home

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    My Michigan raised mother said she about starved to death at the first south of the Mason Dixon wedding my dad took her to. She had been expecting a multi course ethnic type feast and got cake and punch. I think she made him stop at McDonalds on the way home

I'm getting married in June...it is quite the whirlwind! I'm doing pretty much everything myself (with some marginal help from my mom and future hubs)...that being said, I've had a few breakdowns . Our guest list is going to be 250+, both our families are just huge! We are doing it for probably right around $10-15k. It is doable! Even THAT cost freaks me out a bit. Luckily we already have the house and all that. I'm a graphic designer and am able to do all the invites and such myself. I like to do crafty things so it will be largely DIY. I just started a new job, am involved with some non-profits and have my horse so I am pretty loaded up time wise. Join Pinterest!!! So many great ideas. I think I did the most scrounging for venues that are very reasonable but still good quality and fit our style. Venues that let you bring your own alcohol will save you TONS. Our wedding is going to be laid back with an outdoor ceremony. I am doing mismatched bridesmaid dresses so I basically just sent out my shade of color and style ideas and they can pick out their own dresses (One less thing for me to do!). I'm definitely excited but there are many times I wish we would just elope haha. I just wanted the party and celebration. Good luck and I hope you can find a planner that won't tell you $100k!!!

Yep. Had to go through my sister's wedding preps.

No thank you to any of this wedding stuff. It is the biggest crock of money spending worthlessness, I swear.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Plan your own idea of a wedding.

If that includes everyone, great. If it includes no one but you and your fiance and a witness, also great. White dress, red dress, no dress at all. Flowers or no flowers. Formal invitations or a handwritten note. Buffet, cake and punch, full plate dinner.

Don't feel like you need to have a cookie cutter wedding like everyone else. If you want to wear jeans and flip flops, wear jeans and flip flops. You don't have to be traditional, classical, or trendy. And if you need any help planning or even just scouring the web for ideas, I'd be happy to lend you a hand.

Thanks Heinz!!! Will definitely keep you in mind if I cannot seem to get away with what I want (courthouse!).
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

You guys are fantastic - what super suggestions and congrats to all the others planning as well! We thankfully found a much more sane planner, and pretty sure we have a venue, so that stress has lifted! Am loving the practical wedding site and their book - a nice dose of sanity standing up against the Tulle Mafia.

My wedding is in 10 weeks.

The main thing I've found is that planning doesn't not need to be a crazy stressful time like many make it out to be. My fiancé and I have taken a very (VERY!) laid back approach to planning and everything is falling in place just fine. At the beginning we both decided that if it got too stressful, we'd cancel the big event and elope; our whole focus has been on creating an event that will be fun and enjoyable to us and our guests.

So I guess my advice is decide what type of wedding you want (traditional, modern, casual, alternative), and stick to it! Also decide on your budget ahead of time, because its easy to spend a lot when you factor in the dress, catering, flowers, etc. etc. (We are spending just under $10,000.)

Congrats and have fun planning

So glad you have enjoyed Meg's book and the website! I've been married for over two years and it is the only wedding blog that is still in my blog reader. I love the discussions about different issues that happen there.

Pictures of mine: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2716126&type=3

and

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1520950&type=3

and from talkofthetown's
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1520950&type=3 (hope you don't mind me sharing, but it is beautiful!)

best wishes!

Grrrr -- Even though the first album is set to "public" and the second two should be, I'm not sure that they will be viewable. I really miss the link FB used to have at the bottom of the album page that said "Share with people even if they aren't on FB" If anyone *can* see them, let me know
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Lets see, what not to do... For starters, do NOT call the port-o-pot company and argue with them when you find they don't have you down for delivery the next day only to have two DIFFERENT companies show up with port-o-pots because you had called and chewed out the company you were NOT using...

I live in an expensive resort/destination wedding location so everything I wanted to do could have been crazy expensive. Much like the posters before me, I took advantage of the skills of my friends, which saved me lots of money. I also didn't want fancy, I really wanted something more like a garden party. I was married on a friends farm (free) a graphic artist friend made my invites, a talented seamstress friend made my dress (crazy beautiful) for $600, she also is a wedding planner and did that for me for free (thank god) because I didn't know where to start, a local woman did my flowers for not much out of her picking gardens, a professional photog. friend of a friend took pix for the cost of the film and so on. I also got married at 2:00 in the afternoon so I didn't have to serve a meal (the caterers were $$) but had finger foods passed around, a raw bar, beer, water etc just sitting around in ice buckets for people. I did spend $ on a real wedding cake because I do love cake... and I had a local band play bluegrass in the background. I have had many guests say it was the most laid back, fun wedding they ever went to.

I was determined to not get too stressed out. I was mostly successful, with only one or two meltdowns! I agree with all who said make the wedding what YOU want it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    Grrrr -- Even though the first album is set to "public" and the second two should be, I'm not sure that they will be viewable. I really miss the link FB used to have at the bottom of the album page that said "Share with people even if they aren't on FB" If anyone *can* see them, let me know
    It works for me, but... if you control-click it will open in a new tab, which (for me, on my own albums) has that link - like this one: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=90274dafb7

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned - makeup. Find and secure a good airbrush makeup artist and you WILL NOT regret it. It's a little spendy, but that stuff can be put on in the morning and will stay on all day and night, and will cover up a multitude of sins (or the world's most random pimple that popped up right in the middle of my chest the night before, in my case). I paid for my sis and my mom to have theirs done as well and they absolutely LOVED it. You can make it as natural or as done up as you'd like, so don't go thinking it's only for drag queen faces.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson