The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flat Soles & Sore Feet - Any Suggestions to get to Barefoot

We have been trying to transition my mare out of shoes since she's now bred and not working. She used to have pretty decent feet. When I began competing her years ago I put shoes on her because she would come home a bit foot sore if the grounds were hard and she was of course being ridden quite heavily. I could pull her shoes in the winter without issue if she was off for a period of time. She did have an injury to her hock which has caused arthritis and of course over the years she seems to have caused her to weight her front feet more than the average horse. We have added pads in from time to time and she has one foot that has an under run heal that we chase.

About three months ago in anticipation of the coming little one, we pulled her shoes. She came up sore in her left front foot, so my farrier packed and put a casting material on the foot. That seemed to work well for about two months, then she came up sore again. We figured it was just time to redo the cast and she began walking a bit sore on the other foot, so we packed and cast both feet about two weeks ago. Over the past two weeks she hasn't really improved and is now sore on both. The vet was out today and I had her check the mare, she has slightly raised pulses and was sore on her soles, but no heat and nothing to suggest otherwise. Farrier is going to come out Monday and probably put shoes back on her.

I've really been hoping to keep her shoes off, but if she's going to be sore, I'll have them put back on. Has anyone had any really good luck getting a flat soled horse barefoot. I'd love to use something other than shoes and wondering if anyone has success with any other product or maybe a different shoeing technique. My farrier is very good and I'm sure will offer some suggestions when we meet, but in the mean time for my own education I thought I'd come here to see what others have to say. Don't get me wrong I am not shoe adverse but with this mare not being in work was just looking for what other options there may be.

4 members found this post helpful.

If she is that miserable I would agree with the back in shoes and Durasole, also address the diet and environment.

I did what Tom says. It worked.

I pulled my horses shoes in July and I applied Durasole as much as possible and he has been fine. He has crappy soles also. I rode him in Renegade boots for the first 3 months. I slacked off on the Durasole but started using it again due to the frozen ground here. I wish I could post the before and after pics of his feet. It has been an amazing transformation.

my horse cannot go barefoot he bruises badly. If she needs shoes, keep them on. it's not worth watching her suffer bf.

2 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone do "grass tips" nowadays?

Besides shoeing her to keep her mobile and comfortable during her pregnancy, I would be concerned with any possible change going on within her foot.

You don't indicate her age, breed or physical type, all of these can influence hoof changes.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

She's a 11 year old Arab. She's in good weight, obviously baby has added to it. She's on two pounds of TC Growth with about a pound of TC's 30% supplement, gets two flakes of Alfalfa and free choice Timothy. She's out during the day, in at night. The vet has been happy with her body condition throughout her pregnancy so far.

I will give Durasole a try. I've used turpentine and also Keratex Hoof Hardner, but neither of those seemed to make much of a difference.

Other than the change from TC Complete and no longer being worked there haven't been many changes. She's probably been in shoes for about two years prior to us pulling them a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    my horse cannot go barefoot he bruises badly. If she needs shoes, keep them on. it's not worth watching her suffer bf.
    My now in semi-retirement competition mare needs shoes all the time. I've tried three times over the fifteen years I've owned her to "go barefoot." All failed. So even during, breeding, foaling, and lactation wears shoes all 'round.

Why is it so hard for some folks to accept that some horses need shoes and some don't? Why is watching a horse suffer in unremitted pain while they "toughen up" seen as a Good Thing? I don't get it.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

1 members found this post helpful.

G. the OP said she'd be putting shoes back on.

I'd be concerned about laminitis with her being that sore on both fronts, unless the ground is frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    My now in semi-retirement competition mare needs shoes all the time. I've tried three times over the fifteen years I've owned her to "go barefoot." All failed. So even during, breeding, foaling, and lactation wears shoes all 'round.

Why is it so hard for some folks to accept that some horses need shoes and some don't? Why is watching a horse suffer in unremitted pain while they "toughen up" seen as a Good Thing? I don't get it.

G.
    i think it is always worth a try but if the horse really cannot handle it, it's not worth the pain and suffering. i have come to terms with the fact that my guy needs 4 shoes all year round. i do what i can to keep him comfortable. our new guy has big feet and seems to be ok barefoot. i hope so, it would be nice to save a few dollars. but if he needs shoes, i will shell it out for him..

no advice ~ just Jingles & AO for your mare to come 'sound' ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post

I'd be concerned about laminitis with her being that sore on both fronts, unless the ground is frozen.
    My concern would be if the horse is 11 and has been bare for 9 years and is now sore being bare after pulling shoes.......What does that tell you?
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Piccione View Post
    My concern would be if the horse is 11 and has been bare for 9 years and is now sore being bare after pulling shoes.......What does that tell you?
    It tells me that something or several somethings have indeed changed and now she requires shoes to help her. And since she is now pregnant which brings with it its own set of circumstances, she doesn't need the worry and stress of hoof pain added to the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post

G.
    Because some horses CAN go barefoot after a transition period of toughening up. My friends horse is one. He had flat soles and had a moron trimming him for years. My ex sold him to her and we transitioned him to barefoot. He was footsore for a few weeks and needed to be in boots for rocky trails, but is otherwise happy barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Piccione View Post
    Charlie she wasn't bare for nine whole years; she was in shoes during showing season and bare during winter.

I won't pretend I know what's going on with the mare, just putting thoughts out there; if the ground is frozen solid with no snow cover and then of course she's carrying extra weight from the pregnancy, that alone might make her sore now...

You said the casts and packing worked for about two months and when she came up sore, you thought maybe they just needed to be redone..... Did she go eight whole weeks between farrier visits? I find that horses with less than ideal feet need just a bit more attention than that to transition (if it is possible to do so).

If I was really determined to try barefooting her, I'd cast, pack, and nail shoes into the casts to put as few nails as possible in her feet, until she was no longer sore, then try again with trimming and recasting every four weeks.

Jennifer

It is usually about 5-6 weeks between trims. My vet was out Friday and I had her check the mare. With this being her first go at pregnancy I've also been concerned about laminitis, neither vet or farrier have ever been concerned about that. She was fine until we pulled shoes. The ground has been exceptionally hard this year. It has been about two years since has been barefoot up front. I think we will put shoes on when the farrier comes unless he has other ideas. I would like her to be barefoot, but won't let her be sore. I've always had the farrier out within a couple of days if I have noticed that my horses are sore. I do have a great farrier and I am lucky he's very responsive. I had wrapped and packed her feet last night and she seems pretty comfortable today, so it just looks like shoes it will be. Maybe we will try again in the spring when the ground is softer and after baby arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post

I don't have a "beef" with the OP. I don't have a problem with folks trying. I do have a problem with the entire concept of the "transition period." We pull shoes and put them on as required over the course of a year with multiple horses. Never had a "transition period" that lasted more than a day or two. IMO if a horse stays sore for more than a few days then the husbandryman just got a loud and clear message from the horse.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão