The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

spacytracy, I'm really sorry you had to go through all that That sounds horrible. But I'm glad that things are looking up.

Happy (early) 1-year surgery-free anniversary!

And, you're right, I shouldn't let my concerns become road-blocks.

Dont feel bad for me. I'm grateful I've gone through it!

I had surgery recently (not as complicated as yours though) and I went through the same doubts. I was sure I'd end up worse off. I rescheduled twice (partly b/c I hated to take time off from riding!). But I finally went through with it and I'm so glad I did. It was easier than I expected and went very well. I hope the same for you.

Not anywhere beat the same, but my non horsey dad just spent the past week here with me taking care of the horses while I was recuperating from knee surgery. He amazed me. I have several wiry youngsters that have to be led in and out and he handled them much better than I expected. There were a few cringe worthy moments and I WAS there to supervise, but he stepped up and did a fabulous job.

I wish you strength in whatever you decide. Lots of jingles to you

You've received some fantastic advice and support here, so all I have to add is many jingles to you.

1 members found this post helpful.

OP you're at an Oh Crap moment in life. The most important thing is that you get yourself healthy again and then you can handle the little punk girl at work and your dad and all the annoyances and struggles that you have going into this. But until you take care of this medical issue the rest of it will just keep on running by...

Biggest thing now is you. When you're better you can more fully tackle the odds and ends that you got handed in life. This sounds like the most scary thing (brain!) but in practice it is often the most manageable. I know someone that dealt with this and he was better faster than I was after a hysterectomy.

Get out there, get after it, and regroup later.

Cowboymom, I just have to say, I love your posts ! She is right OP, sometimes life throws you some "crap" your way and you need to deal with it. It sucks but you also have an opportunity to resolve this thing, and be done with it.

Thank you!

No advice, just jingles and a hug.

My boss's wife had a brain tumor. It was about 6 months or so after I started working there. She is in her 60s and it was the size of a lemon. Apparently, if you can get a brain tumor, it was the best you can get. She went through the surgery with no problems. She did have to be on some serious medications afterwards (for at least 3 years). She had to relearn how to write and had memory problems.

It's been 5.5 years since she had the surgery and she is doing well. Still works for her husband even though she threatens to retire often lol!

Many jingles. I hope everything works well for you.

No advice...just wishing you the best!

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Cowboymom, I just have to say, I love your posts ! She is right OP, sometimes life throws you some "crap" your way and you need to deal with it. It sucks but you also have an opportunity to resolve this thing, and be done with it.
    I agree, what she said and well said.

I wanted to pop in with an update and let you all know that I got a second opinion.

Ultimately, I decided to stick with the original neurosurgeon, and my craniotomy is scheduled for April the 2nd.

I feel a lot better now that it's scheduled. Still freaking out about leaving the horses in my dad's care, but I've got someone who will check in every now and then. Biggest thing now is mourning the fact that my boy is going to have so much time off!! He won't care, of course

Thanks again for all the encouragment!

Prayers and nothing but good thought to you.

Good luck!

Nothing to compare to brain surgery- but when I was in college I got knee surgery and I can still hear one the students saying in a very heavy Russian accent "may I see your plica?" I was creeped out by all of the students too.

But a few decades later my knees are awesome and when I wear shorts I still think of Mr May I see your Plica.

I hope everything goes well and you are on a road to recovery quickly.

Wishing you a boring procedure and a quick recovery. Who knows maybe your dad will take up riding...