The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how fast does it take you to run a mile

just started running. very new to it but ive been curious what everyone started out running and how long it took them to improve. right now i run between 5.5 and 6 mph on the treadmill.

If I'm running multiple miles...I'd say I'm in the 9:15-9:30 range. If asked to just run a mile as fast as I can, that's a not-blazing 8:00 or so. When I decided I wanted to get faster, intervals helped me. Run all out pace for 30 seconds, recover for 2 minutes with a moderate jog, repeat until I totaled about 2.5 - 3 miles.

Getting really into weight training helped a huge amount - lots of heavy-ish squatting, regular workouts that incorporated 400m and 800m runs as part of a timed workout, things like that. I'm a CrossFit person, but any high intensity interval training type of program could offer similar results.

I either run about 6 miles in an hour (but over very rough terrain so there's places you really HAVE to slow down), or I do short sprint sets (100 meters), which I can cover at impressive speeds. Weight-lifting and sprinting up hills are what really improves your sprinting speed.
    I've never actually tried to just run ONE mile as fast as I could, so I can't really say.
    Note if you're running on a treadmill only, that often treadmill running does not carry over into real running- many a person who can run well on a treadmill can't make it around the block without keeling over.

Run? I run when chased. LOL

4 knee surgeries later, I don't run much.

But I can walk a mile very quickly. Almost as fast as I used to jog it. I take about 10-12 min of fast walking to do a mile now. With two big dogs. I walk FAST.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a note from my surgeon that says I never have to run again. YEAH! Taking the pack test to be a wildland firefighter, I walked 3 15-min miles, does that count? You're not allowed to run for that.

i typically only run when being chased too but have signed up to do a 5k with a friend so want to not embarass myself to much. i should probably even clarify i would consider myself more a jogger than runner.

I've got a bum knee, so I had to give up running any sort of distance. Last week I just wanted to see how I could do, so I went one mile. 9:30 at a reasonable pace. I wasn't really looking for speed, I just wanted to see if I could still do it.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Buddyroo beat me to it. It depends on the size and ferocity of what is chasing me.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

4 members found this post helpful.

I have only been running for a year or so. I run a little over a 10 minute mile on the street. I am NOT fast at all, but I am pretty consistent. I have never pushed for speed and I run further then a mile each time. Treadmill running is way different then running outside though. My treadmill is very broken (none of the gages work and it is always at a steep incline), but it still performs its basic function, I just know I can run for a much longer time on the treadmill then I can run on the street.
    Impossible is nothing.

I've never sprinted a whole mile as fast as I could. My best 5K time was 29 mins, so that's about 9 minute miles (6.6 mph).

I've run 2 marathons but I was pretty slow - 12 minute miles overall, included some walking (thinking why the h*ll did I sign up for this!) lol

The trouble with sprinting at my age is it can hurt something - then I lose the pleasure of my 2-3 mile jogs 3-4 times a week. I enjoy those at about 5-6 mph- just enough not to hurt too much & give me some endorphin highs

If you are running to lose weight, speed does help - as long as you inch up gradually.

When I was 20, I could run a single mile in about 5:40.

I ran a 5K with my daughter and some of her friends (Girls On The Run) last April and got in right around the 31 min mark, but I was trying to motivate some of the girls to finish. Had I been by myself I probably would have done it slightly under 30. However my right knee has not been the same since and it is trashed.

Now, I won't even try.

In my car, between work, home, and the barn!

When I was in junior high, we had to finish a mile in under 15 minutes in order to pass that unit in phys ed class. I failed - I couldn't do it, and the teacher laughed and said I was probably just "naturally unathletic". In my late 20s I got into running seriously and my mile time is down to around 5:45... so those gym teachers don't know everything!

There'd better be something fast and ferocious chasing me AND someone dangling a Klondike bar in front of me...

I can walk a mile (into town) in about 17 minutes, but I'm not sure it's exactly a mile.
    Quarry Rat

I used to be a long distance runner before the knee surgeries. My best time was 6.5 minute miles, but I never ran less than 5 miles at a clip. Are you sprinting or going for distance.

One of my most memorable running experiences was when I was probably the most fit I've ever been and training for a marathon. I was running my usual route and I heard an elderly main huffing and puffing behind me. I was worried he wasn't going to make it up the hill. I shouldn't have been worried...he passed me. It was a very humbling experience.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I usually run between 10-12 minute miles depending on the terrain. Most of my runs are in the state park where there are several "bitch" hills...those really slow my time down.

I can do the 1st mile of 3 in ~8:40. The other two I try to keep around 10 minutes. We had to run a timed mile for a class which is why I tried to do it faster but I realized even when I do my 3 miles every night, I like to push myself for the first one.

I can run a single mile in around 8 minutes, but if I'm running multiples (3-4 miles), I average between 8:30-9 mins per mile. My average pace used to be around a 10 minute mile, and my goal has been to get faster and still maintain the same stamina, which I've been able to do. Interval training is what got me there.

There's a "Riders Who Run" thread going in the Off Course forum that also has some helpful info. As far as how fast I (57 year old beginner) can run a mile, well, I can't run the whole mile without a break yet, but I can walk/jog a mile in about 13 minutes. I'd like to do a 5K this spring.

If you haven't been fitted for good running shoes, please do so. I was running in regular sneakers, but my knee was hurting a bit. I went to Fleet Feet, and they fitted me with good shoes that provided more support so my knees would feel better. No more knee issues since then.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Around 9:45 is my usual mile time.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

If all I had to do is run one mile, I could do it in about 7 minutes. When I run between 5-8 of them, I can run about a 9:45-10:00 average. I ran 20 of them last Saturday, and my average pace was 11:15.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/