The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Protandim?

Has anyone heard of it? Used it? Thoughts?

Someone mentioned it to me the other day (they are a distributor). And I usually don't pay much attention to supplements (or distributors), but..

1. The person was someone who I respect

2. His wife has cystic fibrosis. Since she has started taking it (about a year ago), she hasn't had to be hospitalized once for her CF. (for those of you that know about CF- you know this is huge- if you don't know about CF- generally, people with CF are hospitalized a few times a year (usually for a few weeks) for complications associated with it).

Anyway, I am considering trying it out, but wanted to know if anyone here had any experience with it.

There are some trials that were done on it that are published on PubMed- but nothing that I noted as being particularly amazing.

Yes I have heard of it - I'm going to try it - I know a couple of distributors as well. They are supposed to be coming out very shortly with an animal version.
    I've seen a video of a dog they tried it on- absolutely amazing.
    If it works on me as well as I think it will - I am likely to become a distributor myself. I'll let you know -if you let me know!! LOL

Ok, sounds good!

Default Re: Protandim---yes, it works

Regarding HORSES and Protandim, one of my colleagues has collected a half dozen horse testimonials---including one from a vet---just in his customer base alone. I would be happy to email you those testimonials in PDF form, if you call me at 617-794-8619 to tell me your email address.

The scientific studies are extremely impressive; no other nutritional supplement has 14 peer-reviewed studies on the NIH database, www.pubmed.gov. Most importantly, it is clinically proven to reduce oxidative stress by 40% in 30 days. See the ABC Prime Time TV report at www.abchealthreport.com

I'm a distributor and have several wonderful testimonials from customers who use it and report improvements re: a wide array of illnesses ranging from fibromyalgia to dementia to arthritis. And there are many, many more testimonials available on other medical issues. I can send you a link to the web site of a reputable MD who collects Protandim testimonials.

And, the company has just come out with a product for dogs, called Canine Health.

Sincerely,
    Joy

1 members found this post helpful.

I became a distributor for it as well. I put myself on it for the moment.
    I am totally amazed at how good I feel. I may have to dial it down a little bit and take like 3/4 of a pill instead of a whole one. If I have any caffeine I'm a little over the top.
    My horse is going on it as well as my dog.
    I got to be on a call the other night with Dr. Marvin.
    I'm also using the skin cream - I've been getting lots of compliments about how good I look.
    Now if I could just lose those pesky 20 lbs. I'll be stunningly healthy and happy. WOOHOO

Quote Originally Posted by RangerReo View Post
    Regarding HORSES and Protandim, one of my colleagues has collected a half dozen horse testimonials---including one from a vet---just in his customer base alone. I would be happy to email you those testimonials in PDF form, if you call me at 617-794-8619 to tell me your email address.

The scientific studies are extremely impressive; no other nutritional supplement has 14 peer-reviewed studies on the NIH database, www.pubmed.gov. Most importantly, it is clinically proven to reduce oxidative stress by 40% in 30 days. See the ABC Prime Time TV report at www.abchealthreport.com

I'm a distributor and have several wonderful testimonials from customers who use it and report improvements re: a wide array of illnesses ranging from fibromyalgia to dementia to arthritis. And there are many, many more testimonials available on other medical issues. I can send you a link to the web site of a reputable MD who collects Protandim testimonials.

And, the company has just come out with a product for dogs, called Canine Health.

Sincerely,
    Joy

Default Observations from a protandim user-not a distributor

I have a friend that is a protandim distributor. She offered for me to try the product on my old warmblood that had laminitis. He had "recovered" from the acute stage but was walking minimally, and having difficulty turning. I gave him 1/2 tablet, just like they gave this horse "Zamora" on the youtube video. You can search the video by keywords "Zamora Protandim". After 3 days, I went out to feed in the morning and my old boy was dancing at his feed tub like he had always done before the founder. After a few weeks, I had to turn him out. I give him 1 tablet per day, crushed in his feed. I don't know how this stuff works but he will be on it permanently. He is on no anti inflammatory drugs or any other meds. It took 3 days. Before I gave it to him, I was considering when I should have him humanely put down.

2 members found this post helpful.

Can someone here elaborate on what it is, exactly?

5 members found this post helpful.

Here's am interesting website, for what it's worth. http://www.lazymanandmoney.com/lifev...rotandim-scam/

Gah! I knew someone would post that. mht - why would you take the word of someone who calls himself lazyman to begin with over 14 independent published peer reviewed medical studies done at prestigious universities worldwide? Are you also a vaccine hater? Lazyman earns his living by getting clicks on his site - that's why it's worth it to him to pay for the pumped up SEO - so that his garbage comes up before everything else in a google search. Protandim is not a scam and it's worth noting that (it's also not a supplement, but that's another story and a long one) lazyman is a former LifeVantage distributor and was FIRED by the company for unethical sales practices. He has an axe to grind, hence the spew on his site. Believe it if you must, but it is entirely false. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone threw that in my face. Heavy sigh.

There's a wikipedia page. It's a dietary supplement. Sounds like it "works" for some people (or at least some people think so). Also sounds like they had some pretty major QC issues. Many fairly broad claims made, not much substance to back that up. As with anything unproven, I'd take claims with a grain of salt. I happen to really not be into multi-level marketing but YMMV.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

2 members found this post helpful.

This is from a blog, so, one person's opinion, but it seems pretty thorough and you may want to read it before you try this product. I have never heard of it before this thread, so I only know what I read, but, as a born sceptic, I certainly would do some more research before I tried this product.

Protandim
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Gah! I knew someone would post that. mht - why would you take the word of someone who calls himself lazyman to begin with over 14 independent published peer reviewed medical studies done at prestigious universities worldwide? Are you also a vaccine hater? Lazyman earns his living by getting clicks on his site - that's why it's worth it to him to pay for the pumped up SEO - so that his garbage comes up before everything else in a google search. Protandim is not a scam and it's worth noting that (it's also not a supplement, but that's another story and a long one) lazyman is a former LifeVantage distributor and was FIRED by the company for unethical sales practices. He has an axe to grind, hence the spew on his site. Believe it if you must, but it is entirely false. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone threw that in my face. Heavy sigh.
    Did you miss the part where I wrote 'for what it's worth?' Me thinks the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

OMG - the Wiki page can be changed by anyone and every single time the corporate office tries to correct the lies on the Wiki page - (it's not a "supplement" it's an NRF2 pathway trigger, do your science homework) lazyman changes it back. Yes, he's the one responsible for the crap on the Wikipedia page too. The "editors" (I use the word loosely) of Wikipedia refuse to block him from making his unfounded changes. I am not a fan of MLM either as a rule, but it is a giant leap from disliking the method of distribution to assuming therefore that the product is snake oil. Over 40 years of clinical research and study has gone into Protandim, it works. It should also be noted that LifeVantage is publicly traded on the NYSE and that Protandim is distributed by quite a number of respected physicians, especially cardiologists. Yes, Google can be your friend, but don't believe everything you read on the internet. The reason direct marketing is the chosen distribution channel is because the science behind Protandim and its sister products is quite complex. It won't fit into a 60 second commercial, it just sat on the GNC and Super Supplement shelves for its initial years because no one knew what it was. It's legit, it works and every mammal on this planet would do well to take it. I've taken it, given it to my dogs cats and horses for years and will never go without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    OMG - the Wiki page can be changed by anyone and every single time the corporate office tries to correct the lies on the Wiki page - (it's not a "supplement" it's an NRF2 pathway trigger, do your science homework) lazyman changes it back. Yes, he's the one responsible for the crap on the Wikipedia page too. The "editors" (I use the word loosely) of Wikipedia refuse to block him from making his unfounded changes. I am not a fan of MLM either as a rule, but it is a giant leap from disliking the method of distribution to assuming therefore that the product is snake oil. Over 40 years of clinical research and study has gone into Protandim, it works. It should also be noted that LifeVantage is publicly traded on the NYSE and that Protandim is distributed by quite a number of respected physicians, especially cardiologists. Yes, Google can be your friend, but don't believe everything you read on the internet. The reason direct marketing is the chosen distribution channel is because the science behind Protandim and its sister products is quite complex. It won't fit into a 60 second commercial, it just sat on the GNC and Super Supplement shelves for its initial years because no one knew what it was. It's legit, it works and every mammal on this planet would do well to take it. I've taken it, given it to my dogs cats and horses for years and will never go without it.

Um, it's a supplement. Which is why it can be marketed and sold without FDA approval. Unless you think the FDA is also in on some grand conspiracy...

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm331258.htm

Oh wait, the company who sells the product itself called the product a dietary supplement in its certification to the FDA...

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/doc...091-vol142.pdf

It's interesting that for a product that's been on the market for so long, there's never been a large human study over time. Since it seems like such a magic bullet and the company knows all its consumers through multi-level marketing, it wouldn't even be hard to set up such a study?! Instead there's been a handful of company-run-and- funded animal/test tube studies that were mostly inconclusive?!

Let me guess Mondo, you sell the stuff

Take it if you want, whatever floats your boat. But let's not pretend that there's reliable scientific data out there when there really isn't. Or that calling it "not a supplement" means it's somehow better or more magical. It's 5 common herbs that are in many other anti-aging supplements. You wanna pay a lot for green tea extract and tumeric in a jazzy bottle... be my guest!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

9 members found this post helpful.

Like everything else, it should be determined who pays for the studies and what they actually show. The vast majority of studies were never conducted on humans and were paid for by the company making Protandim so those studies are completely meaningless.

The fact that they are 'peer reviewed' depends on which journals published the studies. Pubmed does not determine the veracity of the study. It is a clearinghouse.

4 members found this post helpful.

Be careful if you have a ragweed allergy. It contains milk thistle.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Oh, no, you mean this supplement isn't going to make me fitter, thinner, prettier and smarter ?

3 members found this post helpful.

Of COURSE they call it a dietary supplement - they have to because it's not a drug (only 5 herbal ingredients). There is a very good reason the FDA hasn't approved it - because the inventors of the substance worked very hard to keep any pharmaceutical companies from buying it, though many tried. Of course there are numerous human studies. Here since you appear to be so smart:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Protandim

I did your homework for you. Not everything is snake oil. There was one recall - yes because someone claimed to have found a metal shard in one of the tablets. They recalled and destroyed the entire lot, even though no evidence was found that the alleged metal shard occurred in manufacture.

"It's 5 common herbs that are in many other anti-aging supplements." True and false. The ingredients are not found in this combination in these specific amounts (the culmination of all of those years of testing). Also you are incorrect in that it is an "anti-aging" supplement. Nor is it a vitamin or anything else. What this formulation does is stimulate the body's own enzymes (that NrF2 pathway again) to eliminate oxidative stress. Completely eliminate it. And if you know anything about the science behind it you understand what oxidative stress is. Most people don't. "Antioxidants" do not have the same effect. In fact, if you are trying to take antioxidants and/or ingest foods that supposedly have antioxidant properties, you are trying to put out a house fire with a Dixie cup. You can scoff at me all you want, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. So ridiculing someone when you have no information seems a little...well whatever floats your boat.

And no, I don't sell it.

"The vast majority of studies were never conducted on humans and were paid for by the company making Protandim..." patently false. The "vast majority" were independent studies, not paid for by LifeVantage.