The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I do get mine done occasionally, toes more often because I get ingrowns quickly if not taken care of but honestly my nails are absolutely horrible, even if I don't put any polish on them for months and just trim they're still chipping and cracking. Anyone have solutions for this? I'm only 16 so it's not like this is an aging thing.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I've never had either a pedicure or manicure. I don't like the feel of nail polish on my fingers, and I keep my nails very short because they get in the way playing piano, gardening, dealing with horses and barn chores, typing on the computer...etc. etc.

But if a pedicure includes a foot massage I might just try one!

MTA, Hunterrider, look into nutrition. There's probably something lacking from your diet if you have brittle nails.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

1 members found this post helpful.

How is your diet? Just like we feed hoof supplements to grow better hooves, you need the proper nutrition & maybe supplement to grow healthy nails. It takes time, but if you try, you may see much better nails growing in within a month!

Hasty-I've never had either one. You're not the only person.

Sophie-I think a pedicure does involve a foot massage, and I'm sure you can tell them no polish. A lady at work told me that the place to go is a spa, not just some nail place in the strip mall.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Do you recommend any certain brand for the gel systems? What do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    The good gel manicures hold up to just about anything.

I do claws in the winter and paws in the summer. Rarely both at the same time. In winter I can keep my nails decent, real or artificial, because I'm not doing as much outside and am wearing gloves most of the time outside. I don't bother with feet in the winter since they're under 2 pairs of socks and stuffed in boots or slippers.

In summer my hands go through hell and back, if I do the nails then I end up looking like a bad drag Queen. Scrapes, cuts, bruises and layers of thick callouses do not look good with nice nails. But I will do my feet.

I do my own...I have the light and polishes for gel color at home and the supplies to do gel or acrylic artificial nails home too. (I used to work in a salon eons ago) I also do my own pedis...I have horrid ground manners when it comes to having my feet done. I kick.

(wicked ticklish feet)

Do try the gel colors on your nails. You can get a home kit if you like it, saves time and money. They make mainstream ones now for about $60 I think. And the best part with gel colors...they're immediately dry and rock hard. No waiting, you can finish a manicure and immediately stuff your hands in gloves, dig around in your purse or whatever.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

I've never had either, I just don't feel like paying for something that frivolous, and something I could just as easily accomplish myself.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Manicures/Pedicures-- Do you get them regularly?

No never, neither. I rather spend $ elsewhere.

I just got a pedicure a few days ago and loved it! I have been missing out! haha. I got a manicure once back in high school for prom. It actually lasted a good little while but haven't gotten one since. I'm around the barn so much that I don't paint my fingernails much. Every once in a while I do it. I do keep my nails short and filed neatly but that's about it.
    "There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience."

I'm a permanent makeup artist and I feel like my hands must look nice. I wear rubber gloves when I groom or clean tack- not a bad idea in general when your horse has"green stains" . I used to have acrylics but finally lost the patience to sit thru that procedure! Revlon has a nail polish called top speed that I like but I end up giving myself a manicure 2x a week,which is time consuming. I've fallen in love with gel polish manicures,but at $35 they are too pricey. Ulta has a gel manicure kit called "red carpet manicure" that retails for around $80.00. I've purchased it and am going to practice my technique- they have many good tutorials on you tube. Living in the south my toes are always painted! Don't be embarrassed about what your feet look like, the pedicurist has seen them all.

Do you recommend any certain brand for the gel systems? What do you use?
    I use the OPI home system, you can get the whole kit (light included) for about $160.

But if you're starting out doing your own at home, get the Sally Hanson kit. CVS has 2 different sets...one is a liquid set, no light. It's only $10, small box. Has the base coat, color and topcoat. All of them set with a liquid you brush on instead of a light. Good for 3-4 manicures. You can get the bigger set with the light for $40-$50 I think.

Or Sensationail has a full kit for a little less than Sally hansons. Also pretty great.

You can order these online or find some of the kits at places like Nordstroms. Or if you have them near you, at Sally Beauty stores.

I got the OPI set as a gift from one of my sisters, LOL! She hates going for manicures and has no patience to do them herself so she comes over every other week and I give her a manicure.

All of the sets work as well as salon sets. (OPI is a salon set usually) And really, it's the same as painting your nails. If you can paint a nail, you can gel it. And don't file down your nail surface for them. Just a quick buff to smooth out any ridges.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    I had a pedicure once while staying at a spa. It was nice but I can't honestly say it would be worth paying for one on a regular basis. I can afford it, but it still seems like a waste of money to me. (I can, and do, polish my own toenails....so it's not that I don't like the way it looks).

As for manicure, no, I've never had one. I play piano and can't deal with nails at all when I'm playing, so it seems like a big waste of money. Maybe if having nails wasn't a problem I might get one....

In general, I feel like I barely have time to schedule the appointments I need, let alone the frivolous ones I don't.
    Ditto. Except for playing the piano. I keep my nails shorter in the winter (because cold causes them to break) but long in the summer because they grow like weeds and are very strong. They look fine. Pedicures, nope, just for my wedding.

Never had either. Nor a massage. My horse however....
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I used to get both. I even had gel nails. The thought makes me laugh, now.

Then I started getting smarter about $, stopped the manicures & got pedicures in the summer. I would never, ever let me feet be seen without them looking decent.

Then I got a horse. No $, even for summer pedicures. So toes are ugly these days, which is fine b/c I never go out, never wear sandals nor do I have dates who might see my naked feet, since all of my time & money is used up by horse. (Yes, it was a good trade.)

I am obsessed with keeping toenails short, to the point where I think it may be some sort of psych thing. I can't stand if they even brush against the sheets & am constantly trimming them as short as possible. If there is any edge that is not part of the nail bed (I don't mean hanging over, I mean ANY edge not attached to the skin), I am skeezed out.
    I am grossed out.

As much as I can, which means if I have the $, yes

My feet get awful in the spring/summer when I start wearing sandals, so it's a necessity. I also have the worst cuticles, and I can't take care of them myself.

Besides that, it's just relaxing to take an hour and get pampered.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Manicures aren't my thing, i LOVE when they look nice, but then immediately get just as bummed when they chip... too much of an emotional roller coaster (exaggerating, but but only a little).
    Pedicures are just so incredibly uncomfortable for me. Too ticklish and i have one toenail that got seriously messed up when I was sixteen (dont wear toe rings while around horses, even in paddock boots!) And it's only become tolerable to handle in the last year or so (but even still the cuticle area on that toe HURTS when poked). And just this summer I had melanoma on my pinky toe ('mela-toe-ma' MrB coined it) and now I only have 3/4 of that pinky toe. Of course mrb also said that i should be eligible for a 10% discount on pedicures.... but i still feel self conscious about it enough in yoga class, i don't need a stranger inches away from my scarred up foot!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Now, massages, on the other hand..... I'll never say no to one of those!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Ha...having had my farm for so long I gave up on the nails/feet a long time ago.

I figured I'd have to give myself a mani or pedi before I would show up at a salon. They'd probably either refuse me or double charge me. Sort of like cleaning your house before the housecleaner comes.

These procedures involve strangers touching me, right? Touching. My bare feets. With their hands. Ahhhhhhhh no!
    Quarry Rat

I knew someone who was studying to be a cosmotologist, and part of her training was manicures/pedicures. She told some awful stories about both, but especially the nasty feet some people had.

Instead of pedicures I just go after the rough spots with a pumice stone, take a shower, and then put some great moisturizing creme on them. Then I either hang my feet off the bed til they dry, or put on socks. It makes a difference for my feet. When I lived in Enterprise, AL I used to buy a great creme called Gardener's Love. They made it right in town, and driving by the little shop on Wednesdays when they were making the cremes and soaps was heavenly. I liked going through the Boll Weevil (no I'm not kidding about the name, it's a local thing) Soap Company store was always fun to check out the new soap flavors. I don't think I'd like a stranger messing with my feet either, but I know a lot of people that live for their mani/pedis, and have them regularly.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I get pedis every once in a while.

The only way I can keep my nails looking really nice is to have fake gel nails with polish on top. The polish never chips and it lasts forever. Gel polish doesn't work as well on me and my nails can't stay even a tad long that way.