The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Manicures/Pedicures-- Do you get them regularly?

I don't, since I have a tough time keeping my fingernails from getting beat up. I have horses at home. I never paint my fingernails myself at home but will do my toenails for the spring/summer when I'm going to be at the pool or wearing sandals. I've gone a few times for mani's/pedi's but very rarely, mostly for special occasions like weddings.

I went this weekend with a friend, as I had bought groupons for us to get mani's/pedi's together for Xmas (she gets hers done regularly). It was nice, and my fingernails will perhaps last a few more days since I'm mostly wearing gloves around the farm right now, but I don't see how active horsepeople can keep their fingernails looking nice!

Just curious as to how many people here get them regularly... it seems to be something most of my "non-horse" peeps do. I felt a little out of place with all the girly-girl women at the salon!

I am a chef so getting a manicure isn't of much use for me...no nail polish at all, even clear. Pedicures however are fantastic because I am on my feet all day and I find the massage helps and I do get a chance to use some pretty polish!

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

I do it all the time. If you get the Gellac manicure it will last through anything you do at the barn. I've literally gone from the salon to the barn where I pulled all the mats out of my trailer and scrubbed them - not a even a chip in the polish!

And I seriously can't live without pedicures! I'm not a super girly-girl either.

Yes - but I have fake nails. I stretch them out to every 3 weeks instead of every 2, since I have to drive 45 minutes to a decent place.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

I'm on my feet a lot so I do treat myself to pedicures. I will also second the recommendation for gel manicures. They really protect your nails and last up to 6 weeks without chipping.

I too care for my horses and type all day for work. I get a Shellac manicure and pedicure every two weeks (although I could go as much as 4 weeks). Shellac holds up to anything I dish out and keeps my nails from breaking/splitting. Worth the extra $5 to get.

Regular manicures only lasted a day or two for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

The good gel manicures hold up to just about anything.

I do claws in the winter and paws in the summer. Rarely both at the same time. In winter I can keep my nails decent, real or artificial, because I'm not doing as much outside and am wearing gloves most of the time outside. I don't bother with feet in the winter since they're under 2 pairs of socks and stuffed in boots or slippers.

In summer my hands go through hell and back, if I do the nails then I end up looking like a bad drag Queen. Scrapes, cuts, bruises and layers of thick callouses do not look good with nice nails. But I will do my feet.

I do my own...I have the light and polishes for gel color at home and the supplies to do gel or acrylic artificial nails home too. (I used to work in a salon eons ago) I also do my own pedis...I have horrid ground manners when it comes to having my feet done. I kick.

(wicked ticklish feet)

Do try the gel colors on your nails. You can get a home kit if you like it, saves time and money. They make mainstream ones now for about $60 I think. And the best part with gel colors...they're immediately dry and rock hard. No waiting, you can finish a manicure and immediately stuff your hands in gloves, dig around in your purse or whatever.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I love pedicures and usually go about once a month. I am not a girly girl either (I get my hair cut once every six months, never really buy makeup) so I justify it as my one "beauty" expense. Love the foot massage and how cute my toes look after. As far as manicures go- will second the shellac/gel manicure suggestion- I've gotten two now and they last FOREVER, through anything. I can't wear polish at school, so I only get it on vacations, but it's awesome and lasts through all the barn crap that usually destroys them. Plus, your nails are dry as soon as they're done painting them, no messing them up as soon as you get in the car (which is usually what happens when I get manicures!).
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I had a manicure once - never again! Cost too much & had to cut the ends off the day after, they just got in my way.

Guess I'm too much of a tomboy to handle a pro manicure!

I keep just nails short as possible to avoid the dirt. I do paint finger & toenails sometimes just for a lark in the summer, that's enough for me.

3 members found this post helpful.

I let my fingers be, since I chew my nails. Gotta have pretty toes though... I do my own though, since I like to change it up pretty often.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

The gel manicures really hold up to the abuse. Around here they cost more than double the price of a regular manicure, though! I stopped doing the gel manicures because they filed my nails wayyyy too thin - to the point they got sensitive! The chemical soaks skeeved me out and they often skipped the nice lotion-y hand massage.

Gel manicures should not chip almost at all for about 2-3 weeks or it's not done right.

When they figure out how to do gel without the chemical soak and filing the nail bed, I'll go back.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I had a pedicure once while staying at a spa. It was nice but I can't honestly say it would be worth paying for one on a regular basis. I can afford it, but it still seems like a waste of money to me. (I can, and do, polish my own toenails....so it's not that I don't like the way it looks).

As for manicure, no, I've never had one. I play piano and can't deal with nails at all when I'm playing, so it seems like a big waste of money. Maybe if having nails wasn't a problem I might get one....

In general, I feel like I barely have time to schedule the appointments I need, let alone the frivolous ones I don't.

i dont do the manicures but i love a good pedicure. i mostly do it just for the massage and the "scraping" of my feet. its one of the few extravegances i indulge in.

I don't do manicures often, because my job is very hands on and it'd be ruined within minutes!

My mom and I do like to go get pedicures together though...probably once every month and a half or so. It's a nice little bonding session, and oh so relaxing!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

I must be the only person left who has never had either one. The thought of someone unknown messing around with my feet and hands with sharp items is rather off putting. I tried painting my nails with clear polish to strengthen them and even that felt weird and I would scrape it off with my teeth ( I was a teenager). I have managed to have painted toe nails a few times but I keep wondering whose feet those are and it just makes me feel uncomfortable.

Yes I've had both done. I do my own nails usually every Sunday or once a week ...I'm pretty good at it so they look like they were done at a salon. Though in the summer not so much as I'm busier with the horses, etc. I do wear gloves a lot in the barn for chores and riding, etc.
    Been doing my own since high school (more than 20 years ago).

Anyway....ladies just because you need short nails doesn't mean they can't look pretty with nice polish on them

I don't particularly like pedicures because I think it's a demeaning job....I don't know why I think that but there is just something off to me with people getting after gross feet. I keep my feet nice with my own scrubby and exfoliating scrub at home

This all sounds so lovely.

I'm older and very self-conscious about asking someone to take care of my poor old feet. I visualize you all as adorable young women with adorable feet and think "You can't possible inflict 50yo feet on some poor pedicure person."

LOL Anne, my thoughts exactly - I have a couple of deformed tonails from getting stepped on , I have to very gingerly clip those thickened scarred toenails - would be scary to let someone else try - and embarrassing!

But I mentioned that to a regular pedi customer and she said they do very elderly all the time. In fact my mom was a nurse in a nursing home and apparently keeping toenails clipped is a sign of good care of elderly, so they would have someone come it to do it. So apparently they've seen everything!

Still would rather spend that $10-20 on another horse book or dvd tho

Huh... interesting variety of replies!

I can't really fathom doing the gel nails or fake nails... either just seems unhealthy to me, I guess. The place we went to (and the only ones I've been to) do "natural nails", and mine are fairly short. They just shape what you have and polish them. The one thing I like about this place is it is VERY sanitary-- I have heard horror stories of some that aren't. It's a bit more expensive but to me, the peace of mind is worth it.

I may invest in a few more pedicures for spring/summer because my feet really do look and feel good. And I hear you guys on the grossness of feet-- no way could I do that job, feet skeeve me out in general! I do have corns on my little toes and felt bad for the girl having to file them, but I'm sure they've seen worse!

AnnFS...ages ago when I used to give manis and pedis...the average client for pedis were mature women. With thick nails.
    And even back then...men were also pretty common. Young men with girlfriends who took one look at their feet and said, "Get those things fixed!" LOL!

Pedicurists have seen everything. And most people who go, go for feet issues more than for just prettying up cute feet. Ingrown nails, yellow nails, corns, scaly feet...dancers feet! Nobody has feet like a full time dancer!

So don't feel embarassed by your feet, dollars to donuts the pedicurist has seen 10 sets a lot worse than yours just that week.

The gel manicures really hold up to the abuse. Around here they cost more than double the price of a regular manicure, though! I stopped doing the gel manicures because they filed my nails wayyyy too thin - to the point they got sensitive! The chemical soaks skeeved me out and they often skipped the nice lotion-y hand massage.

Gel manicures should not chip almost at all for about 2-3 weeks or it's not done right.

When they figure out how to do gel without the chemical soak and filing the nail bed, I'll go back.
    No need to file the nail bad or to chemical soak. Go to CVS and look for the home gel kits. There's a small kit for $10 that doesn't require a light and that lasts pretty well too. Limited colors, but popular colors.

Or for $40-$50 Kiss and a couple others make small lights that work at home. They come with the activator polish and the top coat polish. You can also buy the gel color polish...but honestly if you use the base and the topcoat gel polish you can use any type of color. Just takes a little longer because you have to wait for the middle layer to dry before using the light on the topcoat. Or you can buy the gel color too.

Just regular manicure prep...I would use a white buff block to buff the nail face to make it smooth. Just a light buff though to remove ridges.

To remove gel polish at home...soak cotton balls or cotton pads with some regular acetone polish remover. Break into little pieces just big enough to cover the nail. Lay damp piece on top of nail, wrap with a 2x2 inch square of tinfoil to hold it on. Set timer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, grab tinfoil in firm grip, twist back and forth twice and slide it off. Your nail should be clean. If anything still sticks, just rub off with more remover.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte