The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default feline idiopathic cystitis - update, has stones

My 9 yr old male cat has had outside the box issues for about 3 years (sometimes spraying on vertical surfaces & sometimes just plain old peeing). He's had a UTI & struvite crystals in the past (separate incidents) - last time his urinalysis came back clean & he was diagnosed with FIC & put on RX dry food & we supplement with wet food. Basically he has an episode & we try something different & it works for a few months & then we have a reoccurrence. Last night he jumped into bed & peed right next to me He's going back to the vet tonight. Has anyone cured this? Should I try subcutaneous fluids (vet suggested this last time) or an all wet diet? I've been reluctant to go to all wet b/c we have his sister & she can't have his wet rx food (she has idiopathic hypercalcemia) so we'd have to do separate feedings. Both cats are quasi feral (they come to you, but it's a #$%& of a time catching them) so separate feedings will be difficult. At this point, I'll try anything. Suggestions please.

Updated -radiograph shows 5 stones which need surgically removed. We were quoted $1500 - 2k. I don't think I have time to price this, but this seems high. (Their price for kitty cosequin was $33 for 60 pills - 30 day supply). If we do the surgery, how do I know the stones won't come back? I wasn't prepared for this & just want to know my odds of reoccurrence going in. Thanks all!
    Last edited by ken; Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM.

I would go with an all wet diet and kitty cosequin.

I'd also ditch the RX diet, unless it's for the stones?

All of my kitty peeing problems disappeared overnight when I finally stopped feeding any dry food.

I also have two cats that eat separately (one is fat and on a diet, one gets special food) and I have small dog crates for them. They go in, the door gets shut and they get let out when they're done. After two or three days they were both sitting in their respective crates waiting for their meals. Perhaps that would work for you as well?

Cosequin for Cats. It works amazing. You can open the capsule and mix in the wet food.

If its particularly bad, metacam and/or buprenorphine also helps them get over the initial inflammation.

I can barely justify the cost for the horse! But I'm @ the vets now & I'll ask. Thanks! The science diet c/d is apparently no longer working

Kitty cosequin is cheap! Only about 15 bucks for 80 days.

Last time my kid had it, we did the metacam and buprenorphine and our employee vet suggested adding more water to his wet food. I put a can of food in a bowl, add water, and stir it up. He has been great ever since. I haven't had to go to the Cosequin, but that was my next move. I have a few cats that have different dietary needs and am able to separate them in crates, etc for meals. They have no problems with it.

I also crate one cat that needs to be fed separately. He has a huge dog crate with a bed, dishes and litterbox that he gets locked in for a few hours twice daily for his food and meds. Works great and he figued it out in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    Updated -radiograph shows 5 stones which need surgically removed. We were quoted $1500 - 2k. I don't think I have time to price this, but this seems high. (Their price for kitty cosequin was $33 for 60 pills - 30 day supply). If we do the surgery, how do I know the stones won't come back? I wasn't prepared for this & just want to know my odds of reoccurrence going in. Thanks all!
    What kind of stones? Presumably calcium oxalate if they have to be removed?

Both struvite and calcium oxalate stone can be managed with diet. Struvite stones will dissolve on their own if the diet is address. Calcium oxalate stones will not, but you can keep them from reforming. I believe that c/d is counter-indicated in calcium oxalate stones?

Royal Canin Urinary SO works for some stones, but you have to know what kind. http://www.chewy.com/cat/food-treats...FUdxQgodSgoABA There is both dry and wet food.
    Just had a large stones removed from my Corgi's bladder and kidney. Surgery would of been $3500, but we got it for $1200, because my husband is friends with the veterinary surgeon.

The vet said calcium phosphate. When I searched around, it said these stones were most often found in the kidneys, but from the x-ray, his are in the bladder. I would like to clear this once & for all - poor boy has obviously been in discomfort. He's on phenoxybenzamine now - took me 20 minutes this morning to catch him & get it down. Then as I was getting ready to leave, I found the pill on the carpet. I *think* he got it the 2nd time....little bugger refuses to swallow.