The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog digging deterrent

The shelter dog I adopted in September has decided that there is a very good reason to dig up the gravel around a concrete block step. The gravel is probably a good 9" deep. I'm quite sure there is probably a mouse trying to live under the step and she's trying to get at the mouse.

I've already added more # 2 stone to the area and for the most part, the ground and gravel is pretty frozen. No snow covering though.

So I googled dog deterrent and came up with havahart's critter ridder.

http://www.havahart.com/store/animal...FYqZ4AodFWwALA

There are several on the list that might do the trick but then I thought about it and wondered if the Raplast that I had for the horses wouldn't also work.

http://www.jefferspet.com/rap-last/c...26234/cn/2555/

Does anyone have any thoughts on this and/or can you suggest another deterrent?

It's winter here in western NY and although the is only a dusting of snow where I am, I'm not sure if I did spray the area she's trying to dig if the Raplast would be effective in the cold temps (low teens at night and mid 20's during the day).
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Cayenne pepper...that's my go to. Liberally applied.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I've also found that if you put some fresh dog poop in the hole or area where they are digging they will avoid it.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I second the dog poo suggestion. Worked great for us. We also then taught our dog that it was only o.k. to dig in sand (at the park, at the beach etc). Worked like a charm. Might not work so well if you have a sand riding ring.

Right now finding 'fresh' dog poo isn't easy as it freezes pretty fast. Remember temps in the low teens to 20's.

Dog can't get at outdoor riding ring due to Invisible Fence and she really doesn't care to come to the barn with me to use the indoor. She prefers to stay up around the house and do her business on the grass, or snow-covered grass.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!