The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Dad Said Not To View Post
    One can slice and freeze bell peppers, but an even better way to deal with a surfeit of peppers is to roast and freeze them. http://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the_...-roast-pe.html
    I don't slice them, but when I have a surfeit from the garden, what I do is chop/dice them, freeze them flat on a wax or parchment paper lined baking sheet, & when frozen, just put them in plastic Ziploc bags. Then when a recipe calls for chopped/diced peppers - voila.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was wondering that too. The bakery items are amazing. In the fall they have deliciously HUGE pumpkin cheesecake.

Quote Originally Posted by VTMorgan06 View Post
    How has no one mentioned thenALL AMERICAN CAKE yet?!? That's 7 pounds of amazing clocolately goodness. Stop. The. World. It's delicious, and only $16.99!

I love Costco, I stock up on hand a foot wormers each fall, love their mittens, and my ponies never complain when I get giant Costco bags of carrots! Plus, don't you just love eating dinner at Costco?! $1.50 for a giant hotdog and soda, woot woot!!

Costco is on my way home from work so I have to resist temptation. Usually I go in for dog food and milk. I get butter and bacon maybe twice a year. I love the 10# bag of carrots for the horses (Whinnie used to eat 30# of carrots per week in her final year) and I also love the butter lettuce for taco salads. I find the beef to be of much better quality than what the local grocery stores have and go through a lot of the frozen chicken breasts.

My newest "find" is Uncrustables (in the frozen breakfast/dessert aisle). They are frozen pb&j sandwiches - great for hiking or a quick breakfast. The fresh Costco made meatloaf and mashed potatos are yummy and the rotisserie chicken is delicious. And those muffins freeze fairly well.

The Kirkland shampoo and conditioner are great. My scalp is very sensitive and I don't itch with these. For the barn, try the big pack of shop towels (with the auto stuff) or they also have a value pack of hand towels in the towel aisle. Love them, especially now during the muddy season.

As for the membership cost.....I split mine with my "sister" who "lives with me but just moved in so that is why her driver's license says she lives in a different town".
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

There are NONE anywhere in upstate NY. Perhaps just as well. Have visited them in Mass. and my VA sister talks about them all the time. I'd be so tempted... Their stuff looks wonderful...

Used to have Sam's Club - great for dog food, and BJ's - good for basics, books and electronics. Miss the deals, and the convenience of having it in bulk when you live out in the boonies.

Went to renew my BJs membership a couple of years ago, which I originated back in my single days. Turns out my ex had continued to use it years past the divorce, and closed it down and opened in his name only! In the fake business he created. My account! I was so PO'd they gave me a few extra months when I opened up a "new" account.

Funny thing is, when the girl looked at my old one, her mouth gaped open, "You spent $11,000 here last year?!?" No, it was the ex. Who is still single. The one who was crying broke when he stopped paying his end of the settlement. We almost said in unison, "who spends $11,000 a year at BJs?!?"
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Yum - thanks for the pepper suggestions! Been buying them a lot lately, try to stock up on sale, but can't always use them before they turn. And also trying to really increase my veggie intake. This is great!

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Yum - thanks for the pepper suggestions! Been buying them a lot lately, try to stock up on sale, but can't always use them before they turn. And also trying to really increase my veggie intake. This is great!
    The only thing to keep in mind is that frozen peppers are really only useful in cooked dishes, as they lose most if not all of their texture/crunch after thawing. So fresh salad use is pretty much out.

I have a membership through my job (perks at a local pet shop? Yeah!) but I go there mainly for socks. Yep, socks. I'll browse their produce section, but I'm picky! I need to check on their coconut water/milk/oil/flakes prices actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    The only thing to keep in mind is that frozen peppers are really only useful in cooked dishes, as they lose most if not all of their texture/crunch after thawing. So fresh salad use is pretty much out.
    Yes - thanks - but true, better than tossing them out altogether, which I just did yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Yes - thanks - but true, better than tossing them out altogether, which I just did yesterday...
    Have you thought about stuffing them and then freezing them stuffed and uncooked? You can then take out and bake however many you want.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Have you thought about stuffing them and then freezing them stuffed and uncooked? You can then take out and bake however many you want.
    I've never tried that myself, but don't the peppers collapse before the stuffing is cooked/heated through?

Bacardi, I have had lots of stuffed peppers and they usually don't. Ones I ate had ground beef and tomato sauce type stuff in them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    I've never tried that myself, but don't the peppers collapse before the stuffing is cooked/heated through?
    I am a vegetarian so I do not stuff with meat. What I generally do is chop up peppers and onions, sautee that with spices. Mix with cooked brown rice or quinoa or rice pilaf. If I am feeling really exotic I might add some crumbled veggie sausage or suateed mushrooms. And then stuff that in the pepper.

Since the filling is precooked, you only have to bake it long enough to heat through and soften the pepper. I pull them out of the freezer, sprinkle cheese and bread crumbs on the top, and bake them for 15-25 minutes (depends how big the pepper is) until heated through.

As I said, I don't eat meat-- but if you precooked the meat in the filling BEFORE you stuffed the pepper... I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing.
    ~Veronica

where are the take and bake pizzas located ? I've only been 2x to Costco so far, and to be honest, the lack of signage drives me crazy !!! I am still finding my way around the store and since I am so starry-eyed and mesmerized at all the stuff there, I roll right past the stuff I am hunting for and have to go back.

I think I have to try the spinach ravolis and that bananas foster cake that someone mentioned.

The take-&-bake pizzas - at least at the Costco's around here, but I'm sure they're all modeled pretty much the same - are in the rear in the open refrigerated bins where they have their own prepared foods - the deli party platters, sushi, sandwiches, etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Costco is coming to Lexington...I can't wait!
    But it's in Hamburg

I do not AT ALL like the pizza they serve at the cafe in the store. Is the take home pizza the same?!
    ~Veronica