The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

ok, I made my 2nd trip to Costco, and came home with frozen wild salmon burgers, rotissiere chicken (for $5 !!), frozen stirfry veggies, bag of avocados, greek yogurt and of course, big bag of carrots for horsey. Thank goodness, i didnt have much time, or I would have come back home with alot more stuff !!

We ate the rotisseire chicken last night and it was excellent. Going to make chicken pot pie with the leftovers. I had a salmon burger with avocado for lunch and it was very good. Overall, it will save me a bunch of money if I eat the salmon burgers ($11 for 12 burgers) instead of going to Chipotle for lunch.

Has anybody tried the frozen black bean burgers ? I was tempted to try the Kirkland beer, but my beer snob got the better of me and ended up with a case of Sam Adams.

YES - their rotisserie chickens!! Better than any I've purchased from ANYWHERE else. Very lightly seasoned - neither salty nor bland - moist, juicy, & with decent skin. Yet something else I rarely leave Costco without.

(I knew I'd forget all sorts of stuff that we love from Costco - lol!)

We've been Costco members for almost twenty years now. I love that place and shop there at least twice a month. They have great deals on frozen peas, red apples, and romaine lettuce for the ducks and geese, dog food, cat food, cat litter, bird seed...some of the stores in California sell horse grain.

For us, I really enjoy their grass fed beef, fresh alaskan salmon (in season), Dubliner Irish cheese for macaroni, giant packs of brown eggs, muffins, torta bread, rotisserie chicken, they had ground bison last year that made excellent burgers on the grill. There is simply too much to list.

My Costco also gets in a lot of plants and I just bought four different varieties of blueberry plants to try for around $24.

I like the little bacon wrapped steaks that come individually wrapped and frozen. I think six to a package.

There are a couple of different shrimp salad type things in the refrigerator section that are good.

Kirkland brand salmon filets are good.

The packaged brown rice and quinoa is really good.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Our favorites:

-Nature's Domain dog food. Cheaper grain free food that the dogs LOVE, plus two different protein sources (Turkey and Salmon).

-Marinated artichoke hearts (so good on a pesto pizza!)

-dried fruits

-in season fruits like mangoes, nectarines, peaches. We only get these when they are perfectly ripe and we know we will go through the whole box in less than a week!

-seat covers for the ford truck (saved over $200 with this)

-sin dog bread by Dave's Killer bread

Oh, and costco muffins are delicious (and best served in quarters).

Ugh loved Costco when we had our membership and you are making me hungry! Is BJs really that much worse? It is the difference between a 20 min trip and 40 mins for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    We've been Costco members for almost twenty years now.
    We've been long-time members as well. Gosh - since the very first one (back then it was called "Price Club") opened up in our area on Long Island, NY - I'm thinking late 80's/early 90's. I know when we moved to VA in 1994, it was still "Price Club" in Winchester.

I know I sound like a bouncy cheerleader when it comes to this company, but we save SO much money on general required supplies & enjoy the non-general frou-frou stuff so much, that I can't help being like a bouncy cheerleader - lol!

I end up buying clothes there-this month tommy h shorts-$12.00, stretchy blank skirt-12.00 . Socks for DH, camisoles ,underwear for DH. My teenage son loves the wonton soup, I love the salmon burgers. I discovered a wonderful granola they have called" love crunch"- its chocolate flavored with dried strawberries and what appears to be little chunks of chocolate. It's a fabulous treat, I consider this a dessert! If you live out in the country Costco is a godsend.

Quote Originally Posted by arabracer View Post
    I end up buying clothes there-this month tommy h shorts-$12.00, stretchy blank skirt-12.00 . Socks for DH, camisoles ,underwear for DH.

I end up getting jeans there - particularly when they have good quality jeans like Lucky for $30 or so! Work socks for both of us too.

We love Costco! We live an hour away from the closest one and it's totally worth the drive. We love the stuffed shells! Spinach triangles! And coffee. And... drumroll... for those with allergies, like myself and my three kids, we get generic Costco brand Zyrtec - 365 tablets for $14. This stuff is $14 for 15 tablets at Walmart. I will make the drive to Costco just for the Allertec. The danish is to die for, but not cheap. I agree you need to be aware of what you pay at the grocery store, some stuff is not cheaper at Costco. And their corporate mentality - caring for employees, paying well, etc. is a bonus.
    blogging at HN: http://www.horsenation.com/
    check out my writing: http://jeseymour.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    We've been long-time members as well. Gosh - since the very first one (back then it was called "Price Club") opened up in our area on Long Island, NY - I'm thinking late 80's/early 90's. I know when we moved to VA in 1994, it was still "Price Club" in Winchester.

I know I sound like a bouncy cheerleader when it comes to this company, but we save SO much money on general required supplies & enjoy the non-general frou-frou stuff so much, that I can't help being like a bouncy cheerleader - lol!
    I remember Price Club on Long Island too, it was at the site of the old Johnny All-Weather Drive-In Theatre. When I moved to Washington, I think one of the first things I did was join Costco. Been a member since 1990. Their fruits and veggies can't be beat for quality. The Kirkland ham is out of this world delicious. I'll have to try the rotisserie chicken, that's one I haven't checked out yet.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Anybody see the Modern Family when Cam and Mitchell go to Costco? They hit the nail on the head with that one.

We buy all the usual dry goods: TP, paper towels, laundry detergent, etc. as well as some of their food. You might not always get the BEST price on the beef, but darn, those are quality steaks! I also LOVE the take and bake pizzas they make fresh there. They are GINORMOUS, and like $5 each. My favorite is the Margarita. I am also a fan of the shrimp wonton soup.

DH and I recently found out we are moving back to OKC this summer. They do not have a Costco. We will be making the trip to Dallas frequently!
    Last edited by eventerdiva; Feb. 5, 2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: wrong name!

Yup - a fan of the "take and bake" Margherita pizzas as well.

I buy some bigger ticket items because I can return them if they don't work out. no questions asked. got my roomba vacuum there and the battery does not hold out for a complete room (I live in an atmosphere of dog hair..) so I will return it after 6 months and they will happily refund my money and I will buy the upgrade.

I buy my oil for my horse there and I buy my wine by the case there. They carry Menage a Trois which I bought for the name originally but like it for the wine.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Yup - hubby bought our fancy-schmancy 5'-something flat-screen tv there last year at a price around $500 less than anywhere else. We should probably have a bronze plaque there somewhere for all the cash we drop - lol!! But it's always been worth it. I really can't think of anything we've purchased there that has disappointed us.

Not to mention, Costco has a great return policy. They'll refund your money at any time, for any reason. Unfortunately, for electronics they now limit returns to 90 days from purchase, but I still think that's pretty good. I may or may not have had a family member that ran over an expensive camera with his car, then returned it for a full refund...

I love the Ling-Ling Potstickers, and they're half as expensive as buying them at the regular grocery store. Too bad they give me pot-sticker burps afterwards, which is fairly unpleasant. Costco also sells these fruit-sorbet things, that come in fruit "shells". They're delicious.

Count me in as a Costco lover.

My dogs eat Kirkland's Lamb & Rice. (Is the Nature's Domain significantly better?)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE their clothes. The yoga pants make great hang-out-at-home and yard-work and Zumba clothes. The t-shirts and long-sleeved T's are great for riding.

Their dog beds are DA BOMB. Both dogs have one now.

It's just me and the dogs, but even for just myself I love some of the food:

That huge-donkey bag of apples for 10 bucks? Yeah, I eat it in a week.

Greek Yogurt, fresh Raspberries, and this awesome cranberry/pecan granola I get at Superstore (it's also gluten-free!) is my breakfast of choice. 2 big tubs of yogurt for 11 bucks, instead of one smaller tub for 5 bucks. Yeah, I now go to Costco a lot, for greek yogurt and fruit alone.

Their raspberries are generally nice. And it's double the size of the carton I can get for the same price at Safeway.

I can eat most of their 6-pack of romaine, but have found the last few months that the lettuce isn't very nice

Their grapes. YUMMMY.

I do find I can't get through a whole bag of peppers before they go bad. I wonder if a person could slice and freeze them?

Toilet paper. Laundry detergent.

And the Best. Brown rice. EVER is one I Found at Costco the last time I was there. It is a sprouted grain brown rice that is HONESTLY the best rice I've ever eaten. The kernel is about the size of wheat, and it is just sooooo yummy. I try to eat very low-glycemic so stick to carbs such as quinoa, or sprouted grain pasta/bread/etc...as a result I hadn't eaten rice in forever, and this is truly the best rice ever.

2-pack of Silver Hills sprouted grain bread same price as 1 loaf at Safeway. The only catch to these is Sprouted Grain bread doesn't keep very long at all. Like a couple of days. I freeze it, but it freezer burns in the freezer fairly quickly too. So I don't buy it all the time, only when I think I'm likely to use a lot of bread. It happens. I make my own croutons out of it.

Quinoa. In a big bag for a SIGNIFICANTLY lower price than the same amount in Safeway bulk. Like 30% less!

They also have ancient grain pasta. It's gluten-free, made with quinoa, amaranth, and brown rice flour. It's not bad...I over-cooked it and it got a bit pasty and it is VERY sticky when cooked, but I prefer it to "whole grain" pasta by far.

I love their meat - the steaks aren't cheaper, but they are significantly better quality. I bought as tuffed salmon there that was pretty darned good. I don't actually like fish, but am forcing myself to acquire a taste for it as I feel better if I eat fish a couple of times a week. Omega's, I guess!

On the fish scale - I picked up a marinated haddock that...well.I really liked the FISH. The marinade was black pepper and my bland-prefering tastebuds found it too spicy. Their kirkland salmon filets are fabulous for making maple glazed salmon, or other concoctions that I will actually eat.

Need to look into the frozen chicken, and the salmon patties. Anything healthy that I can heat easily at work is a plus.

I find all sorts of cool stuff every time I Go. The thing I hate MOST about costco is I never leave with JUST what I went in for. Last time, Lex got a new dog bed (hers was pretty destuffed), and I found this awesome 7 drawer organizing cart for beside my washer and dryer. I got my dad a really cool flashlight for christmas (turns out, though, he'd already bought himself one too!). We have those headlamps mentioned and they rock. I love their gift basket selections at Xmas.

I have a card on my parents business membership (LOVE being a farmers kid!) so my membership is free. If it wasn't, I'd still pay!

Trying to avoid going before the 15th this month, because I have no extraneous funds until then. Luckily, I still have two tubs of greek yogurt in the fridge from my last trip!

Oh, Costco..what do I NOT love about thee?

... Oh yeah. The way I always spend more than I intended when I visit you! You are definitely my most expensive friend.
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

Quote Originally Posted by birdistheword View Post
    Costco also sells these fruit-sorbet things, that come in fruit "shells". They're delicious.
    Ok, I NEED to know what these are called!

I also got these GREAT frozen yogurt bars there. Chocolate/rAspberry and Vanilla/Mango in the box. 2 weight watchers points for a bar the size of a full-sized revel. And they were/are GOOD. I think I Still have a box in my freezer.
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

Quote Originally Posted by BoldChance View Post

I do find I can't get through a whole bag of peppers before they go bad. I wonder if a person could slice and freeze them?
    One can slice and freeze bell peppers, but an even better way to deal with a surfeit of peppers is to roast and freeze them. http://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the_...-roast-pe.html

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BoldChance View Post
    Ok, I NEED to know what these are called!
    I don't know the name, but they are tropical sorbets in a real coconut shell, pineapple rind, lemon rind and there is one more that I can't remember, maybe a mango? They are so much fun to eat! At my Costco they are next to the frozen fruit.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products