The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

They're currently building a Costco in the city DH and I are moving to upon my graduation in May -- I'm SO excited.

Right now we have a Sam's Club membership. Didn't shop there much to begin with (got it to save on some wedding food/cutlery/supplies/etc) and used to use it to get cheaper gas...now neither of us works on that side of town so there won't be a renewal this year!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

I will have to try the frozen pot stickers, kirkland kitty litter and spinach ravolis. The refrigerated grilled chicken cheese ravolis were alright, I probably wouldnt buy them again. The frozen shrimp wonton noodle soup was out of this world good. I bought the chicken breasts in the little pouches which was also very good. The pumpkin flax granola cereal was an excellent deal and we've gobbled it down for breakfast. I also got a giant bag of Scoops chips for $2.19 along with a jug of salsa for $3.

All the fruit and veggies were excellent. Horsey liked the deal on the 10 pound bag of carrots.

Overall, I've saved money so far. Typically, I would eat out during lunch and so far, I've been able to bring Costco items to work for lunch and saved some money.

Oh - & hubby has been bringing me home long-stem roses (in LOVELY pastel colors) & mixed floral bouquets from Costco for years, & they last FOREVER. I'm always amazed at how much longer they last than florist-shop flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky213 View Post
    I will have to try the frozen pot stickers, kirkland kitty litter and spinach ravolis.
    I'm not sure if Costco has their own "Kirkland" cat litter, but they DO sell "Scoop Away" at a better price than other places.

As for the potstickers, they usually carry a nice selection - pork, chicken, shrimp, vegetable - but don't always have every variety every time. We've just tried the chicken so far, but they're very good. I "think" the brand is "Ling-Ling", but could be wrong. Supermarkets sometimes carry that brand as well, but Costco's price is cheaper, you're getting a larger bag, & they last a long time in the freezer without losing quality.

Quote Originally Posted by drawstraws View Post
    As a braider, I was completely excited to find a 3-pack of headlamps for $9.99 and a 3-step ladder (instead of the usual 2-step) for $20.00!!
    I did get those as stocking stuffers last time I went with my son. They shop there a lot but I also see a lot of waste.

I find shopping for books, jackets, socks, jeans, yard furniture, sheets, towels, etc to really be a savings. The food is often packaged in larger quantities, but it makes it worth it ifen if you waste some. Just their double pack of Natures Own Whole Wheat bread is a bit less than a single loaf at the regular grocery store.

It is just my husband and I, and we only have one side by side fridge, no extra freezer, and I can still get a lot there.

Mango Peach Salsa is YUMMY - especially on baked potatoes!

Default Cat litter

I buy my cat litter at Costco (Costco brand). Used to buy the Scoop Away brand there but have switched over to the house brand in the big green container. Works well, and when you have "ahem" house kitties, ... I go through a container each week.

Also, I can recycle the green container, but not the mylar bag of Scoop Away

Halloween candy!

I buy all my paper products there, and every time I drive into my garage and see the shelves lined with rows of paper towels and t.p. it makes me smile. Simple pleasures, I guess.

And a big YES to the chocolate chocolate chip muffins. Huge, gooey deliciousness. I've never looked to see the calorie count, but I'm sure it's very high.

I get all of my Christmas wrap there, plus beautiful ribbon, and their Christmas gift tags are awesome.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I cannot justify getting a card for just me.
    I do hitchhike with friends on the rare occasion.
    Mostly the packaging is too much for just one person, but sometimes I can share with the cardholding friends.

I've seen Kirkland products at Aldi too - are the two related somehow?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

4th (or 5th?) vote for the spinach ravioli. We ate that for lunch today tossed with the Basil Pesto from the fresh-not-frozen section. So, so yummy. My 3 year old dances around yelling "PESTO PASTA!!!" while it cooks.

The price on organic sugar is super good compared to grocery store options, as is the quinoa.

Our other standards are frozen veggies - big bags of green beans, broccoli, mixed veggies - that we eat almost every day, and the wild salmon (individual servings, marinated in some YUMMY stuff; can't remember the name but box is black and red).

We could happily eat out of Costco, period. Yum.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky213 View Post
    I just joined Costco I suddenly decided I cant live without like frozen Shrimp Wonton Noodle soup
    WARNING: Shrimp Wonton Noodle Soup is VERY addictive. There is no turning back. WARNING WARNING Will Robinson!

I love this soup, and I just have to pass by, but oh the fond yummy memories of our days spent together in soup heaven. So easy, so fast, so there, so convenient, so good, so right. mmmm.

I was up to eating way too many EACH day. I had to stop, cold turkey. Those were the days. sniff.sniff. I hope to not fall off the wagon when I go next time. I may need a support group.

Oh oh you have to try the already cooked bacon, near the same area as the YUMMY soup. Open the package, and eat bacon right away. No cooking necessary. I think it is by hormel. Another horrible addictive thing. But very tasty. It is great come tomato season, a strip or 4 in a lettuce leaf, a swath of mayo (chipotle mayo is good) and a thick chunk of your garden fresh tomato. Fold and eat no bread necessary. BACON rocks!

moving on . . . . .

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paint hunter View Post
    I buy my cat litter at Costco (Costco brand). Used to buy the Scoop Away brand there but have switched over to the house brand in the big green container. Works well, and when you have "ahem" house kitties, ... I go through a container each week.

Also, I can recycle the green container, but not the mylar bag of Scoop Away
    Is Costco's own brand regular or scoop litter? I can't say that I've noticed it before, but will look for it next time I'm there. I'm definitely a "scoop" litter fan.

As for Scoop Away's change from those lovely plastic buckets to those stupid bags - I've been bummed about that since the change, but luckily, have about 2 dozen of those buckets saved & stacked in the basement. They've come in handy for SO many things. And since I find those stupid bags unwieldy, I just transfer them into a couple of my saved buckets before use.

How has no one mentioned thenALL AMERICAN CAKE yet?!? That's 7 pounds of amazing clocolately goodness. Stop. The. World. It's delicious, and only $16.99!

I love Costco, I stock up on hand a foot wormers each fall, love their mittens, and my ponies never complain when I get giant Costco bags of carrots! Plus, don't you just love eating dinner at Costco?! $1.50 for a giant hotdog and soda, woot woot!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh - & I also love the large-size containers of both Kirkland & McCormick herbs & spices. Sesame seeds, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, Telicherry black peppercorns, Italian Seasoning, Monterey Grill Chicken seasoning - all in large sizes that cost the same as the tiny little jars from the supermarket. And I save those containers for when I treat myself to mail-order herbs/spices from Penzey's.

And we do sometimes enjoy a quite decent slice or two of pizza if we're there around lunchtime. Also their frozen yogurt berry parfait.

I've only been a member for a couple of months so I'm taking notes on what to try next! I brought one of their chicken pot pies to a potluck last month and it was a big hit. I need to bring a dessert to year-end awards luncheon this weekend and was going to go on Thursday to see what I could find that might work. It has to be able to travel about 3 1/2 hours, so nothing that will melt!
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Is Costco's own brand regular or scoop litter? I can't say that I've noticed it before, but will look for it next time I'm there. I'm definitely a "scoop" litter fan.

As for Scoop Away's change from those lovely plastic buckets to those stupid bags - I've been bummed about that since the change, but luckily, have about 2 dozen of those buckets saved & stacked in the basement. They've come in handy for SO many things. And since I find those stupid bags unwieldy, I just transfer them into a couple of my saved buckets before use.
    Scoop. I like the Scoop Away but the Costco container is so big I can barely heft it.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by VTMorgan06 View Post
    How has no one mentioned thenALL AMERICAN CAKE yet?!? That's 7 pounds of amazing clocolately goodness. Stop. The. World. It's delicious, and only $16.99!
    I am very picky about desserts and don't love most chocolate things. But this month's special combined 2 of my all time favorite desserts-- bananas foster trifle. I am currently about to explode from eating it. Deeeeeeeeeeeelicious!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Scoop. I like the Scoop Away but the Costco container is so big I can barely heft it.
    I agree. That's probably the main reason I switched from Scoop Away to the Costco brand. The Scoop Away bag is 42 lbs (IIRC) and the strap handle is rather difficult to use comfortably. The Costco brand is 33 lbs and easier to carry.

I love the shampoo, conditioner and body wash that is the Kirkland brand. It's sulfate free, paraben free and vegan. I just spent a bunch of money there... My girls like the Mickey shaped chicken nuggets (they are actually not TOO bad for them and taste pretty good), and the giant boxes of Goldfish crackers are a great value too for us. And I love finding off the wall obscure yummy stuff too!

Their six-pack (or is it 8-pack?) of Kirkland solid white tuna in water is really delicious and high-quality for a great price.

They also have wonderful pre-cooked (but real) BACON!

For crockpot meals we buy cases of beans and corn. A case of cans doesn't take up a ton of room.

My big downfall is when I cut through the seasonal or home sections in the middle and come home with hoses, blankets, garden items, etc. that weren't on my list! Or socks. Or a new warm jacket. Or... or... !!!!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?