The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Costco !!!

I just joined Costco (and got the cashback Amex card) and made my first trip a week ago. I used to belong to BJs and Costco just blows BJs away. I did notice that BJs does have better variety in basic items like contact lense solution, body wash, more shampoos, soaps, and toothpaste. But, Costco has way better off the wall items that I suddenly decided I cant live without like frozen Shrimp Wonton Noodle soup and frozen veggie stir fry mix. The produce at Costco is amazing. I bought avocados, apples, carrots and grapefruit that are super premium quality at lower than supermarket prices. And the cheeses !!! As someone at work said, its like eating like a king at pauper prices !!

I wanted to know what items you discovered that are good to try ? My co-worker said the frozen deep dish pizza was amazing, but I didnt see it. The place is like a maze.

I did try the grilled chicken and cheese ravoli and thought it was only ok.

I enjoy going with a friend, but no way will I buy a membership. i will spend way too much money there! Plus I have to add the cost of membership and gas to get there. At $1.30/litre... nope, not going to happen. Plus I don't have enough storage for the big quantities you have to buy!

The dried fruit is a really good value. I love the Kirkland dried cherries, they're like crack. Greek yogurt is also at a better value than I can find anywhere else, although they don't carry my preferred brand. And frozen fruit. Oh, and the salad greens in clamshells (like Spring Mix etc), can't find them cheaper than at Costco!

1 members found this post helpful.

We went a lot when wehad family home, but $400.00 is way to much for us two fuddies per trip...it is so tempting.

Spectacles, prescriptions, dog food...famous for those.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I'm headed there tonight actually. We use their grain free dog food, and we love it!

We also out frozen Foster Farms chicken breasts there. They are high quality and cook wonderfully. My husband really like to the get 18 ct package of Hoagie Rolls for $3, and we use them for french bread, sandwiches, etc.

In the summer we get local blueberries and strawberries really cheap too.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Costco is coming to Lexington...I can't wait!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

My hints about COSTCO: Know the "usual" prices of things per unit/lb at your regular grocery store. Not everything at Costco is a good deal.

The Costco brand laundry detergent is actually really good. I've used TIDE forever, but I like their brand. Nice fresh smell and does a good job. Even if you buy the name brands, it is definitely cheaper per unit.

COFFEE!!! You can get starbuck's coffee for way cheap there.

Paper products: if you have room for a refrigerator sized case of toilet paper or paper towels, it's worth it.

Cereal: Again, if you have the storage space, it's good.

Dishwasher "pod type" detergent: WAY FREAKING CHEAPER!

Meat: This is iffy. Sometimes it's a good deal, sometimes not. Never had an issue with quality though. And if you use chicken breasts much, this is a FAR better way to buy it because the individually wrapped portions are in plastic that actually does protect from freezer burn. It's not always a lot cheaper but you don't have to worry about waste.

I really do think that having a good sense of normal pricing before you go in is important as well as having a good handle on what kind of space you have available for storage. It might SEEM like a great deal to buy a crap ton (ha ha) of TP at a time, but if you don't have room, you don't have room.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I love Costco. The membership pays for itself with savings. I get over $200 back each year with my card. I do my basic staples run there each week. Can't get lower cost quality veggies, meat or milk.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

The produce is AMAZING and mostly the only thing I buy-- but makes the membership totally worth it.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Even though it's just the 2 of us, Costco is our "go to" for SO many things!

Their own Kirkland brand of paper towels & toilet paper, Scoop-Away cat litter, gallon-size extra-virgin olive oil, Kirkland marinated artichoke hearts, Kirkland Marinara sauce (all of their own Costco "Kirkland" brand stuff that we've tried is fantastic & blows many national brands away in quality), frozen Spanokopita triangles, frozen spinach & cheese raviolis, frozen Asian potsticker dumplings, frozen shrimp - both raw & cooked, the fresh cheeses, pastas, produce, marinated items (mozzarella balls, olive mixes, etc.), fine wines, over-the-counter meds like Advil, etc., vitamins - the list is really endless. Oh, & Costco's "Kirkland" brand of vitamins & supplements have received very high marks compared to other brands. (In fact, their fish oil capsules were rated one of the very best for quality, healthy sustainable ingredients, no filler junk, cost, etc., in an independent survey.)

Oh - & from the "fresh seafood" stand where they sell lobster tails, crab legs, clams, HUGE shrimp, mussels, etc. (some locations don't have this stand up all the time - just on weekends &/or holidays), we recently bought a sack of the most swoon-worth Prince Edward Island mussels we've ever enjoyed in our lives. They've frankly spoiled us for other mussels.

Guess you can tell that we're real hard-core Costco fans - lol!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I must say, with just two of us, the produce and many items have too much in them. We end up wasting. And...honestly...some of the prices (canned goods and the like) aren't cheaper than our local grocery stores. Shop with some working knowledge of your regular grocery prices and a calculator.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

As a braider, I was completely excited to find a 3-pack of headlamps for $9.99 and a 3-step ladder (instead of the usual 2-step) for $20.00!!
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

My husband bought that 3-pack of headlamps too!! Have found them useful for all sorts of stuff.

[QUOTE=LovelyBay;6815518]I'm headed there tonight actually. We use their grain free dog food, and we love it!

We also out frozen Foster Farms chicken breasts there. They are high quality and cook wonderfully. QUOTE]

We used to buy the foster farms chicken until I checked the package and they have added salt and water at a higher percentage than the Kirkland brand. I always thought there was something "off" tasting in the foster farms brand. The Kirkland is much better at the same or close to price.

We do love their dog food. I compared the label and it's the exact same ingredients in the same quantities as Natural Balance which we were feeding at $45 for 35 lb. bag.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Nobody mentioned costco muffins? I can't believe it. All your daily calories in one big ol' scrumptious muffin, chocolate chip was my fave.

We used to buy specific things there, like someone else already said not everything there is a good value and you really have to watch out for the waste factor, but for dry goods like diapers and shampoo and conditioner they can be pretty good.

I'm looking forward to the one in Lexington too!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

If they don't hurry up and get to Rochester, I may just throw a tantrum. Besides being a terrific value, word is that they treat their workers fairly.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

[QUOTE=Mtn trails;6815881]
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyBay View Post
    I'm headed there tonight actually. We use their grain free dog food, and we love it!

We also out frozen Foster Farms chicken breasts there. They are high quality and cook wonderfully. QUOTE]

We used to buy the foster farms chicken until I checked the package and they have added salt and water at a higher percentage than the Kirkland brand. I always thought there was something "off" tasting in the foster farms brand. The Kirkland is much better at the same or close to price.

We do love their dog food. I compared the label and it's the exact same ingredients in the same quantities as Natural Balance which we were feeding at $45 for 35 lb. bag.
    Ugh I had no idea. I'll have to read the bags tonight when we go. Around here the FF ones are a $2 cheaper than the Kirkland brand, which I did think was strange.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Frozen spinach ravioli is wonderful. I save a ton of money there on fruit & fresh veggies.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    Frozen spinach ravioli is wonderful.
    Isn't it? I don't remember the brand & I don't have a bag of it on hand at the moment (note to self - spinach & cheese ravioli next Costco trip. . . .), but it's very very good. The raviolis are triangular rather than square or round, & come in a large recloseable bag, but not "industrial" size. In addition, they include a number of small packets of Italian seasoning in the bag as well.

The grain-free salmon & sweet potato dog food is awesome!

They also have Cosequin MSM for way cheap.

A must try: Wholly Guacamole. 48 ounces for about $8, and it's almost ALL avocado (no mayo or anything). There are huge whole pieces in there! It comes in 4 separate 12-ounce sealed packages, so you don't have to worry about having to eat it all at once before it spoils.