The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unemployed for over 2 years. Own home and do not live near major city AND am well over 50, so figure both are strikes against me. Of course willing to relocate, but realize the location a definite negative. Background of insurance claims, real estate, and paralegal with years of experience. Applied to dozens of jobs I am well qualified for. I've been turned down, lowered my salary needs by a third, and nothing.

To drop way down means having to sell my home in a rural market, sell off most of what I own (green OTTB included) and hole up somewhere where I hope I can bring the dog and cat. Several agree with me age discrimination is rampant. And the insurance industry wants experienced people at beginning salaries. I keep seeing the same jobs offered repeatedly at barely above what they're offering trainees. And forget paralegal work. There are so many attorneys out there looking, the salaries are abysmal.

Have had to live off savings, sadly much of my 401k, but I still buy my own health insurance, and keeping my horse for now. He's a huge respite and the expenses are fairly under control. The lack of work has drained me substantially, but I'm lucky that I never ran up huge debts and my mortgage is relatively small. Am finally below 80% of the original mortgage, so my escrow just dropped, which helps for the here and now.

The hardest part has been, that I know I have made the right choices for my situation, and for my life. That just "taking anything" would still have me in a precarious financial situation. Even if it meant I had others' approval. But it is wearing to feel the disdain from others - particularly my family - who don't get that you just can no longer apply for a job in the paper, walk up, and begin the next day. They hear it every day in the papers. Unemployment is real and rampant and affects so many of us. Neither of my sisters have worked their entire lives, but depend on husbands' income. And are older, and got to retirement age before things got sticky. Even brother's business has had to have its lows supported by "new" wife's benefits from a long time job. It is NOT easy on your own whatsoever. But I'd rather be happy with the cat and dog in a hovel, than miserable in a huge place with huge debts and lousy partners. Kind of think I have the lesser of two evils.

SO - had always planned, as an alternative, to open my own adjusting company, and I am almost there. But the hoops I've had to jump through have taken me 17 months of preparation (while still applying for jobs), waiting to be turned down by state programs that will continue unemployment while you are a start up (the decision was found to be erroneous, but the funds gone by the time I appealed and won the decision), obtaining the proper legal entities, bonds and background checks, waiting for state agencies that have newly been consolidated, chasing after state offices who have "lost" paperwork, and now glitches with the website.

BUT! - I am about 98% ready to launch and frankly pretty excited, and pretty scared. Should be on my way within the month.

"Fortunately" both my son and I had fender benders this month, and my sister's family suffered damage to their home on LBI during Sandy. But what those recent experiences have demonstrated, is how understaffed the insurance carriers are. Which hopefully means plenty of work for me!

And relative to the brains vs beauty discussion? I've been convinced the past two years that beauty (and youth) is key. Makes me pretty irritated. But not so sure you could get a successful business together in NY State (or in many places!) without the brains!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree that age discrimination is a major problem... my mother got laid off a few years ago and was unable to find a new job in her field (marketing/PR), because she was over 50 and had too much experience. Young people entering into the field were cheap and plentiful. She ended up working for a bank and hates it.

I'm concerned about my prospects for teaching. I have seven years' experience, an MFA and three certifications, so I feel like a lot of districts are going to skip over me for a new young teacher who can start at the bottom of the scale...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Real estate legal assistant here and I've technically been unemployed since Feb 2010. After I got laid off I got my insurance license and tried AFLAC - lots of time spent with nothing to show for it. Don't bother if anybody's considering it unless you CAN sell snow to an eskimo which I can't. Kept looking and when I was totally depressed and circling the drane I applied and got a seasonal job at Yellowstone for the summer of 2011. It was a blast, but there's not a lot of pay involved. Came back and applied for six solid months and found nothing, so I went back this past summer to Yellowstone. I accepted a winter contract with them just in case, but when I got back I was finally able to find a temp position. I'm only here until the end of April and they haven't offered me full time position - which I'm not even sure I want because this job sucks - so I'm still looking. It does look like the real estate market is starting to improve, BUT, I'm in my late 50's and when I started doing this I was trained so I have no degree. Double whammy here, everybody wants a degree even though I have about 30 years of experience and I do believe my age is a factor.

If anybody has had luck applying out of their state please pass on the information. I am totally capable and willing to relocate, but I can't get anybody to talk to me. Knew of someone who looked for 2 years for a job in Colorado and couldn't find anything. Finally took the plunge, quit his job, moved and did find something within 2 weeks. Don't know what the secret is if you don't live in the area.

Job searching like we are does make you feel like a total loser. I've been working since I was 17, probably earlier since I did my share of babysitting, and to not be able to work is demoralizing to say the least.

And the worst, family and friends who are always asking, "did you try?...have you appled?....." Sweet Jesus folks, I've been trying EVERYTHING, and I am damned tired of defending myself.
    Last edited by Saidapal; Feb. 6, 2013 at 09:03 AM.

Oops

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Oh Dear! Don't give up.

I understand how difficult it can be. I have been unemployed in the past and will be again in about 2 weeks, when the business I work for is closing.

I dread it, I was unemployed for almost 2 years before I found this job, and now it is ending.. but as difficult as it is, it is not the end of your life and things do have a way of working out, sometimes it just takes a really long time.

You sound despondent, so please, do have a talk with your Physician.

You are not alone.
    Thank you, Sky! That was so very kind of you. I am so fed up that my idea of "rest" is employment.

Once a week I have been doing barn chores for a multi-millionaire lady. $56.00 a week sure does not pay the bills but it's better than a kick in the head. She wants me to work Mondays.

After my last post here, I got a temporary contract offer in an office. If I don't blow it (like I have a number of recent jobs for not catching on fast enough,) the job is good for about 3 months Mon. - Fri. Minimum wage, of course, but it beats the hell out of $0.00 an hour.

Later this month I will be feeding & mucking for another horse owner who has 4 of them. This is a five-day gig. I hope word will spread in the horse community that I am a good "slave." Unfortunately with the millionaire lady, I was fast enough picking the pasture and gathering hay nets but the second day I cleaned stalls. I thought I was fine but I was wrong. Otherwise, I could have been working Mon.-Fri., 30 hours @ $14.00/hr. Now I'm at $12.50/hr and one day a week. *sigh* I just e-mailed her to tell her that I will be working Mon - Fri for the next while. I offered to still do the chores on Saturdays. I believe she will decline that as she likes the work done on weekdays.

Come to think of it, the barn work came around when I posted a thread on my local horse council offering free barn work on Christmas Day. From that, I picked up some work here and there.

Sky, I am so very sorry that your job is winding down. I got laid off from my last job b/c the Sales Manager was freaking LAZY. He preferred to play computer games, come in late and leave early to go to strip bars.

May God bless us in our job hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Not unemployed, but it might be helpful if those who are stated what profession they were in, what area of the country, and whether or not they'd consider relocating. A lot of people are on this forum, and someone may know somewhere that's hiring.

Good luck!
    Sure, I'll give it a shot in the dark:

Main talent is that I am a data entry pro. I can do 11,000+ ksph with 99% accuracy. I was last tested this January. I am great with the written word and have an excellent understanding of grammar, punctuation and spelling.

The other thing going for me is that I have a fledgling leather cleaning business. My two customers have been thrilled. It is my fault that the business is quiet b/c I don't know how to promote it.

For now, that's all I can think of for how wonderful I am.

An earlier poster used a good word for this job hunting ordeal, "terrifying." Money cannot buy happiness but its absence can buy misery.

pony4me had the great idea of posting location/experience, so I'll take a stab at it as well:

I'm in the Berkshires of MA. I was an English major in college, and have years of freelance writing experience for magazines. I've worked in a publishing company (books) and did copy editing there. I have years of experience in customer service, am applauded on my phone and interpersonal skills, and have 3+ years of secretary/receptionist skills. Excellent attention to detail, organizational skills, multitasking abilities - I can get an incredible amount of work done in a short time, with accuracy. I'm looking for an office position which would let me put those skills to use. I love to write, so anything involving a bit of writing would also be nice, but I'm not picky!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Well, after 27 years in the business and 9 with the last company, I find myself unemployed since November. My year was a country western song, lost my husband to a home wrecker, lost my horse, lost my dog, and then lost my job.

It is frustrating, because I could not collect the absymally low unemployment funds from FL until the severance check ran out, and even then it is taking another month for that to move along.

The COBRA insurance that I had to take out for Dental because my dumb ex didn't cover my daughter for dental when I told him he had to take over and provide insurance. . . that took 6 weeks to get into place, and my daughter needs a root canal.

Well, enough griping. I'm applying for anything and everything. I work in IT as a systems/business analyst. I work from home because there are maybe a handful of companies in my neck of the woods that do IT work at all. I can't relocate because my daughter is still in school, and I can't sell this farm if I wanted to (neighbors farms have been on the market for 6 years unsold).

I'm working my network like a madwoman, using the career counseling service that as part of the package, and spending more time on LinkedIn than any other site. I've had my hopes up about some jobs, to find they were given to internal posters.

My former employer is posting 20 to 30 jobs PER DAY on their career section. I have applied for about 40 of them, just with that company alone.

And applying for some other assistance programs.

I'm hoping that this will all be a blessing in disguise.

Good luck to all of us job hunters!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Why not!

I'm in the Charlotte, NC area.

My degree is in Mass Media Communications, with concentrations in journalism and PR, both very focused on professional sports.

I have ten years of professional writing experience as a motorsports journalist. I also have six or seven years of editorial experience and over a year as a Managing Editor, overseeing staff along with my writing and editorial duties. I'm also the Social Media Manager for my Website. I have excellent phone and interview skills, and experience with Word, Excel, Power Point, and Publisher as well as with the editing platform that my site uses, including some HTML (but not a lot). I have won National Motorsports Press Association awards for both my columns and event coverage.

I also have extensive customer service experience as well as experience in public relations, human resources, event planning, and document handling/archiving. As a customer service representative in the health insurance field, I handled sensitive information and mentored new trainees. I have solid photography skills. I'm a certified teacher in NC, but I will not go back to the public school system.

I'm looking for anything in my area, but especially in sports journalism or PR. I wouldn't mind HR or nonprofit work. I'd consider teaching in a private school but would really enjoy doing admissions for a prep school or college.

Oh MunchkinsMom, I'm so sorry that things have been so difficult! Crossing my fingers that you find something soon!!

Resource sharing anyone?

Web sites that you may not have searched...

insidehighered.com
    schoolspring.comelance.com
    odesk.com
    ilostmyjob.com
    glassdoor.com

Before OT day closes - If you are behind or need assistance with paying your mortgage, see if your state qualifies for the Hardest Hit fund money. My advisor told me it started in the 5 hardest hit states in 2008, and it is now open in 48 states:

http://www.treasury.gov/initiatives/...s/default.aspx
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Also for job searches

FlexJobs.com
    eLance.com

Google virtual assistant for other sites.

Home Depot is hiring seasonal employees now. Yes it is seasonal work for springtime sales, but it could develop into permanent work if you work hard.

People should advise others of job openings if they know about them. Home Depot's announcement was a few ekes ago, and again today, Feb. 7th. if there is a HDepot near you, go check it out.

Don't touch Depot.

I have been working for them for 5 years, and they laid me off 2 years ago. I make maybe .70 cents more than when I started. Men will get hired at better rates, often dollars more (my SO of 4 years makes almost 5 dollars more than me, and has worked there less). I'm still on the books, and they love to call me in when things get busy in the spring, but then they cut my hours to zero as soon as the busy season is over with zero warning. They love denying me holiday pay to see if they can get away with it.

The managers get huge bonuses dependent on hours, so even though I've done overtime work for them/worked days and nights/etc., they cut any and all with no warning. In stores all over the country they had what we called a 'firing event' and fired all those making too much money so they could bring in some highschoolers and pay them minimum wage.

They will not keep temps. They told our temps last year the same bullcrap (maybe we'll keep you!) and as soon as their time was up they were gone.

Thankfully I found a new job, but wanted to warn others away from the headaches that are Home Depot! For some reason people who do not work there think they are a great company.
    Last edited by mayfieldk; Feb. 8, 2013 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Grammar

I have found the best source of leads on jobs is LinkedIn. If you don't already have a profile on LinkedIn do so, and join a few LinkedIn groups in your profession. You can search for jobs on LinkedIn, and I found my consultant position through a LinkedIn group.

Quote Originally Posted by Clear sailing View Post
    Funny, Ive been trying to HIRE and only get noodle heads and entitled young people...
    Our co pres just had to FIRE the secretary he hired about 1 year ago, why because she didnt show up for work for 2 WKS. This was after a leave of about 6 weeks in 2012, no one in HR breathes word but I think it was for drugs/alchohol dryout. And she wasnt doing her work at the end either we found out.

We dont pay Wall St wages but even for big city she got good benefits & decent pay. If anyone in NYC needs a job PM me, we are hiring several.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I'm currently taking a 'careers' course (needed the credit to graduate) and am at times flabbergasted. Most of my classmates have never worked a day in their life, can't be bothered to take the time to look up how to create a decent resume/coverletter (for a grade, let alone a job!), and think that a starting salary of anything less than 60k is something they'll be far above with their degree.

I fear for the future when so many young people believe that they get to start where their parents are, instead of working like their parents did. A girl I work with has decided that she doesn't like working 5 days a week because 'it's a pain to drive in every day'. Mind you, she works one job and isn't in school....I just....I don't get it.

ETA: Y'all may consider picking up the book '48 Days to the Work You Love' by Dan Miller -- it's pretty faith based, but the practical applications are excellent....I've watched the 'system' work over and over again!
    Last edited by randomequine; Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Adding
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Indeed.com is another good site. It combines ALL job posting from ALL other sites into one.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"