The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr. 24, 1999
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,266

    Angry Unemployed? Check-in!

    How's everyone doing with the job hunt?

    Laid off since 7/1. Networking like crazy, hundreds of hours searching/reading job descriptions/applying, depressing as h-e-double-hockey-stcks!

    How's everyone else holding up?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May. 10, 2009
    Location
    NC piedmont
    Posts
    2,147

    Default

    Still looking after a year and a half. Still not getting any interviews, even for jobs I meet all the advertised criteria for and then some. Applying for anything and everything with nothing to show for it. Still winning national press awards while I wait (won my second one in January among people who are household names in my field)...

    If there is anything more capable of making a person feel completely worthless than a job search, I sincerely hope I never run into it. I pretty much feel like a complete waste of oxygen after months and months with not one single phone call. Especially when I see some of the people who get the jobs I'm looking for...

    As an aside...would it kill companies to take two minutes to acknowledge that they received your application? Heck, most of them are online; you can't set it up to send an automatic reply so I know that my hard work at least didn't disappear into some black hole? IMO, it's pretty unprofessional.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    5,871

    Default

    I'm with you on the please just send at least a robo-acknowledgement of an application! I am always paranoid that something didn't go through.

    I am (was... whatever) a teacher so I'm hoping for more opportunities coming up this spring. I applied for one education director position that I really really wanted and I thought I was super qualified for, but I think they hired someone else already (again, really wish I knew that my e-mailed resume had actually gone through). I feel utterly useless about life in general.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

    Graphite/Pastel Portraits



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    It's funny. When I was fully employed, I had calls from head hunters on an almost weekly basis usually offering me contract work/short time stuff. At the time, I just wasn't in a position to do that. My husband was not employed due to layoff so my income/insurance was covering the whole family. I just couldn't take the risk of having something short term. I interviewed with a few places that had short term to full options and was offered every job I interviewed for but had to decline. That was as recently as this summer!

    Now that I AM in the position to take these kinds of jobs? As in, unemployed by choice due to a move for my husband's new job, only going to be here short term and WANT contract work, all of the usual contacts seem to be rather dry of opportunities.

    I feel for you guys. I'm lucky in that I don't HAVE to work per se. But good gravy. I've hit up all of my contacts and everyone is saying "not this quarter".

    I think the debt ceiling thing is really playing a part as many of the businesses I'd be eligible to work for have gov't ties and are worried they'll lose their funding.

    Wish you all the best.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...



  5. #5
    Join Date
    May. 14, 2008
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Not unemployed, but always looking for a differant opportunity. I am at a fantastic place right now, so I am very picky about the places I would like to go. Of course, the same places I want are the same places everyone else wants.

    If you can, identify where you want to go and make friends. I can't tell you how many friends that were recently hired were all hired because they knew someone. The positions were all advertised (for the most part) but they knew who they wanted to begin with.

    Trends seem to reflect that too.



  6. #6

    Default

    Coming up on a year of searching. I'm now even looking into secretarial/admin jobs just to get off freaking unemployment and have something with insurance and that will pay the bills. Won't be the money I was used to, but I'll work a 2nd job if I have to.

    Problem is, I've been told no because I'm over qualified. Sigh.

    Actually had a conversation about the "lowering" unemployment rate with my son a few weeks ago. I explained to him that it's not necessarily that there are more jobs, just that people have expired their UC benefits, so it give a false statistic because they use the number of people on UC to determine the job rates.

    The other frustration is going to job fairs. Why bother? You stand in line to speak to the recruiter and they won't even take your resume - they just tell you to go on line and look at the openings they have posted.

    I heard the local casino is going to be hiring dealers this month. I'm hoping something comes of that. I'd love the job and I'm flexible with any hours they'd offer.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

    Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,284

    Default

    We're just heading into it-DH's company is ending by the end of March.

    He hopefully can find a job soon, supposed to hear back on one tomorrow, but it will mean we'll have to move and that's going to be a big mess.

    Scary stuff.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 27, 2010
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Two years searching, so discouraging!! I did finally get called for an interview, but never heard back, sadly. I willapply for almost anything, except fast food. I get so mad at people who say there are plenty of jobs, I see lots of signs looking for help. Yes, I have applied there!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    May. 13, 2008
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    598

    Default

    I've been unemployed since 11/12. It's frustrating and scary. I'm getting interviews for a few places, and there's one that sounds like it could potentially work out, but the commute is killer (about an hour by highway) and the gas I'll pay for will take a serious chunk out of the already low salary.

    I'm frustrated and tired of this (I've had to job hunt every year since graduating college) and am working on grad school applications, but almost wonder why I bother, because I'm really not even using my college degree right now.

    I feel for everyone - the job hunt is terrifying, frustrating, and I find it to be utterly depressing. Hoping that everyone finds something soon.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,644

    Default

    A lot of jobs are being advertised externally because it's a rule to do so, even if they have already decided on an internal candidate.

    Best advice IMO is to sign up with a temp agency. A lot of the assignments can turn into permanent jobs.

    That's how I was hired in my last 3 positions.
    It allowed me to "test drive" the job and allowed the employer to "like me" for the position.

    Good luck in your searches. And I believe it's getting better out there. Our HR department had several interviews set up today to fill new open positions.

    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"



  11. #11

    Default

    I lost my job in June 2011 and I am still looking for a full-time position with benefits. I've worked all my adult life, have a BA degree in Economics from a first tier university and was making six figures previously. Fortunately, I've found contractual work in my field but the hours aren't regular, there are no benefits and sometimes I wait 60 days to get paid.

    I'm beginning to become very discouraged. Some employers won't hire you unless you already are employed, which makes no sense whatsoever in this economy.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep. 19, 2009
    Location
    The Armpit of BC
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    Still looking after a year and a half. Still not getting any interviews, even for jobs I meet all the advertised criteria for and then some. Applying for anything and everything with nothing to show for it. Still winning national press awards while I wait (won my second one in January among people who are household names in my field)...

    If there is anything more capable of making a person feel completely worthless than a job search, I sincerely hope I never run into it. I pretty much feel like a complete waste of oxygen after months and months with not one single phone call. Especially when I see some of the people who get the jobs I'm looking for...

    As an aside...would it kill companies to take two minutes to acknowledge that they received your application? Heck, most of them are online; you can't set it up to send an automatic reply so I know that my hard work at least didn't disappear into some black hole? IMO, it's pretty unprofessional.
    Henry said my thoughts the best. A few times I have (after not getting a job offer) asked interviewers if they could critique me so that I could improve things for other jobs. Their responses are all the same. They just say that they hired someone with more qualifications. With people sue-happy, I am sure that they believe that their asses would be in slings if they said something less than glowing about my presentation.

    Even when employers have said, "Wow." or "You're at the top of the list," I have been in the trenches too long to believe that it will come to anything good.

    I am so bone-weary of struggling. I can't take it anymore. I usually try to avoid these threads but I visited anyway. If I can't get work (and I am trying anything) then I want death. This is not to be dramatic. I am running out of answers.
    Last edited by HorseShine; Feb. 5, 2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: grammar



  13. #13
    Join Date
    May. 9, 2001
    Location
    Lake County, IL
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    I have hired several people over the past 6 months at the college I work at. When I review applications, the jobs that require a lot of technical skill and education have just a handful of applications. I have two positions open right now that require a doctorate, and we've had to leave the search open because we can't find someone who meets minimum qualifications. Not even 1 person! Secretarial/clerical jobs have a lot of applications. Many of the applicants have advanced degrees and a lot of work experience, but none of it secretarial, which requires its own special set of skills and personality.

    Just my observations in my small corner. There are jobs out there for people.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2008
    Location
    Zone 2
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Funny, Ive been trying to HIRE and only get noodle heads and entitled young people...



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcella View Post
    I have hired several people over the past 6 months at the college I work at. When I review applications, the jobs that require a lot of technical skill and education have just a handful of applications. I have two positions open right now that require a doctorate, and we've had to leave the search open because we can't find someone who meets minimum qualifications. Not even 1 person! Secretarial/clerical jobs have a lot of applications. Many of the applicants have advanced degrees and a lot of work experience, but none of it secretarial, which requires its own special set of skills and personality.

    Just my observations in my small corner. There are jobs out there for people.
    Apparently for people with a doctorate (that apparently aren't interested in your positions), or for people who skipped advanced education (for which they probably caught some flack because you aren't supposed to want to be a secretary.) It's not very useful to say "jobs are out there" when the corollary is "for people with less or more education than you." I'm sure those people applying for secretarial posts aren't doing it for fun or out of a sudden desire to switch to clerical work, they're doing it because there aren't jobs for them.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec. 20, 2003
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    If there is anything more capable of making a person feel completely worthless than a job search, I sincerely hope I never run into it.
    I believe that would be our NC State legislature, who apparently have no understanding of what most unemployed are facing as they seek work. My favorite is employers who only hire those who are currently employed.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2005
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Me.

    I've been unemployed since last July when my internship/program ended. I was completely exhausted afterwards and then moved to cross country in August. Didn't REALLY start job hunting until October while my BF and I lived off of savings/borrowed money from family members.

    He's started working retail in January. I have applied to entry-level jobs, retail jobs, hotel jobs, babysitting jobs, non profit jobs (where I'm most qualified to work), and media jobs.

    Today I had my first interview for a position with a Hilton hotel. Just by partaking in the interview my interest in working in hotels was piqued. I am NOT getting my hopes up too high though. Expect to hear back "mid next week".

    Crafting my thank you note and email. It was just such a confidence boost to get an interview!

    Sending good vibes to all my fellow unemployed folks.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr. 24, 1999
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Confession: I played hookie from job hunting today. Took the kids to ski-school, hit the slopes for a few runs and hung out in the lodge with the other moms. Needed the break!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2011
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    4,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseShine View Post
    Henry said my thoughts the best. A few times I have (after not getting a job offer) asked interviewers if they could critique me so that I could improve things for other jobs. Their responses are all the same. They just say that they hired someone with more qualifications. With people sue-happy, I am sure that they believe that their asses would be in slings if they said something less than glowing about my presentation.

    Even when employers have said, "Wow." or "You're at the top of the list," I have been in the trenches too long to believe that it will come to anything good.

    I am so bone-weary of struggling. I can't take it anymore. I usually try to avoid these threads but I visited anyway. If I can't get work (and I am trying anything) then I want death. This is not to be dramatic. I am running out of answers.
    Oh Dear! Don't give up.

    I understand how difficult it can be. I have been unemployed in the past and will be again in about 2 weeks, when the business I work for is closing.

    I dread it, I was unemployed for almost 2 years before I found this job, and now it is ending.. but as difficult as it is, it is not the end of your life and things do have a way of working out, sometimes it just takes a really long time.

    You sound despondent, so please, do have a talk with your Physician.

    You are not alone.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,986

    Default

    Not unemployed, but it might be helpful if those who are stated what profession they were in, what area of the country, and whether or not they'd consider relocating. A lot of people are on this forum, and someone may know somewhere that's hiring.

    Good luck!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?


    4 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: Oct. 31, 2012, 12:17 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: May. 13, 2012, 09:49 AM
  3. Working, unemployed or otherwise miserable?
    By vacation1 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Sep. 6, 2011, 11:34 AM
  4. Unemployed? Underemployed? Hate your job? Teacher?
    By vacation1 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: Jun. 13, 2011, 12:36 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jan. 1, 2010, 09:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •