The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You have to take the tram over to Dun Laoghaire! It's the most adorable seaside suburb. You will get sick of all the tourists in Dublin, so it's great to get out and walk without battling the crowds. You MUST go to Ted's and get a 99! Anyone can tell you where it is.

Also, Queen of Tarts has the best breakfast. There's one in Temple Bar.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

This thread is making me nostalgic, and sarahandsam, your post made me actually weepy!
    I'd love to add something constructive to this thread but am apparently too tired and/or hormonal to do so right now :-)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    These are amazing! First off, your daughter is crazy cute. Then, I get to the pictures of the country side taken from your ride, and I got all teary-eyed! I've never been to Ireland, and I can't wait for the trip we're taking this Spring...I feel drawn to it.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    This thread is making me nostalgic, and sarahandsam, your post made me actually weepy!
    I'd love to add something constructive to this thread but am apparently too tired and/or hormonal to do so right now :-)
    It made me weepy too. I want a tuna and sweetcorn sandwich, a honeycomb Aero and a Cornetto from a SPAR, stat.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Tuna and sweetcorn sandwich?? Never heard of that before, but it sounds good!! And what is Cornetto?

All I want is someone to bring me back Lion bars, Dairy Milk, some bread and soup and some irish stew.......yummmmmmmmmm

My friend just went and I begged her to bring me back some Kinder Surprise Eggs.

I have a huge carb/sweet tooth.

BTW, the ride WILL make you teary eyed. Because its so windy up there, that you can't even see. The horses were getting pushed by the wind! It was insane!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    Tuna and sweetcorn sandwich?? Never heard of that before, but it sounds good!! And what is Cornetto?
    There are SPAR stores every ten feet or so in Dublin--the little convenience store. They sell pre-made sandwiches that I ate just about every day as a broke college student. The tuna and sweetcorn is awesome. There's also one with stuffing that is great. Cornetto are little pre-wrapped ice cream cones--I was addicted to the mint chip.

They say that food in Ireland is terrible, but I am perfectly happy to eat nothing but potatoes and beer and fried fish, so I was delighted with everything I ate there. If it's still open, there was a chips place called the Seashell on Lombard St. near Pearse St. that is only open late at night, but deep fries everything and anything. I loved the Seashell.

I've been there twice, and both times, my favorite city was Galway. The west coast is beautiful and Galway is a fantastic city. I'd highly recommend taking some time to visit there. From there you can take a day trip through the Burren to the Cliffs of Moher or through Connemara. I can also recommend a great/affordable B&B in Galway where my husband and I stayed on our honeymoon.

I'd also recommend a visit to Cork.

Near/in Dublin

National Archaeology Musem. In addition to all sorts of other cools stuff, it has ancient bits, and other horse equipment.

Tara - ancient seat of government, remains of forts, palaces and graves

Newgrange- Stone age monument, with a central camber into which the sun shines at the winter solstice

National Stud - including the museum

In the West

Dingle Peninsula

Galway, and the Connemara coast

Dysert Odea, just north of Lierick is less well known, but NOT TO BE MISSED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Dea_Castle
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysert_O%27Dea_Monastery
    http://www.dysertcastle.com/

A traditional "tower castle", a Romanseque (= very early) church, a gorgeous High Cross, a Sacred Well, two ring forts, remains of landowner's houses, and much more, all within beuatiful countryside.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I loved this thread we are going with a tour http://www.mairtinmusic.com/travel.htm Apr 7-14, then staying for 5 more days to travel on our own.
    Please keep the tips coming :-)

Just modified our travel plans to include two days in Galway! Plane tickets are purchased, hotel reservations all made, cars reserved (along with extra insurance)...now just have to wait 3 1/2 months to go!

I'm also going to Ireland this year, looks like end of July. Very excited to have all these travel tips. Right now my trip is loosely formed as 12-14 days, road-tripping around the countryside. My friend has driven all over Europe so he's confident about the roads and driving. Whereas the idea kind of scares me...

I lived in Dublin for a few years (Went to Trinity) and Loved it! What are your other interests? A few things DH loved last time we went. Kilmainham jail in Dublin is a very interesting tour if your interested in history. Swimming at the forty foot by the James Joyce tower is definitely an experience. If it's a sunny day when you're at Trinity- get lunch at the Pav (Pavillion Bar - at the end of the Cricket field) Sales support the sports clubs at trinity.

Dingle is awesome- we went scuba diving while there and while cold it was amazing! At least go out for a boat ride.

Kinsale outside or Cork is really pretty.

I love Lahinch, the burren and the cliffs of Moher.

I rode with Willie Lehay at darfield http://www.dartfield.com/ which was amazing!

I agree the murals in Belfast and Giant's Causeway are very cool.

It's been a while since I've been back and I miss it so much! Have a blast.

Driving places always seems to take way longer that you would think.

I love Ireland! I went to Dublin and Killarney. In Dublin, we bought a "hop on, hop off" bus pass which goes to all the major tourist attractions....Dublin zoo, Guinness brewery, kilmainham gaol....wasn't too pricy either. We took the train to Killarney (3hrs or so) and spent majority of our time there exploring the park. There was a tack shop there but I never got to it when it was open! This was in 2010 so my memory is fuzzy for pubs and restaurants...but we always found a great pub we were there in May and had a heat wave, but i highly recommend a waterpoof jacket have a wonderful trip!

I'm having so much fun reading this.

My son and I are actually learning to speak Irish. Long story why we chose that language, but our prof recommends an intensive course in the dialect we're learning (Connacht) once we get a chance to go. There is an Irish TV station we watch online to help us study that is in the Connacht region (major Irish speaking area). Look up "TG4". The only confusing part is that our prof pronounces things slightly differently because his family is from Galway. However, he is very good explaining the differences. The Irish government actually subsidizes universities in other countries (mainly the US and Germany) to teach Irish. It's a beautiful language and the songs are a lot fun, too.

We went to Ireland this past summer and had a blast. I rode and DH rented a car, took naps, and messed around. It was so much fun!
    We came back excited about Smithwicks Ale and bacon, both are wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    Swimming at the forty foot by the James Joyce tower is definitely an experience. If it's a sunny day when you're at Trinity- get lunch at the Pav (Pavillion Bar - at the end of the Cricket field) Sales support the sports clubs at trinity.
    I loved the Pav! I went swimming one "hot" day (i.e. around 60 degrees) at the forty-foot hole... it was too damn cold to get me into the water, so I sunbathed on a nice rock, and then discovered the tide had come in, along with a swarm of jellyfish. It was a very damp and careful climb across submerged walks to get back to shore, carrying all my friends' backpacks/cameras/towels (they'd been swimming), with a very entertained crowd gathered on the cliff to watch me...