The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Age and Social Media

As addictive as Facebook has been said to be, and as popular as Twitter is, I just don't seem to "get" them, and I don't know if it's my age (42), or the fact that I only have a few close friends and I don't really know or care whether they use Facebook or have Facebook pages, or what. I have a Twitter account, but I am not the least bit motivated to use it. Who would I follow? I have no idea.

I am somewhat curious as to whether others (mostly in my age group, I guess) use social media and what drives your use of it (membership in particular group, or checking up on your friends' doings or sharing your own doings, etc.)

I feel a little freaky and old-fogeyish because I just can't seem to embrace the whole social media thing.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't twitter.
    I am not that important to update every 5 seconds what I am doing, nor am I a follower by nature.

I also don't really do Facebook.
    It's way to connected for me. I did play some of the games very excessively...but NaNoWriMo pulled me out of that slump.

Facebook is a great way to share things like pictures with friends and family who are not 'there'. That's why I have two accounts that don't intersect much.

But you won't find a lot on my wall.

I don't have much of a life, but a lot more than to constantly post stuff there.

besides...all the issues connected with being networked....

But it's not an age thing. There are enough old people on FB who are pretty active, past farmville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

While I get it (and I got 20 years on you), I just refuse to follow the rest of the sheep. I see no logical reason to tell the whole world what you are doing every single minute of every day. I also don't like the FB policies of them owning what you post. Twitter was originally slated to be for news people but the rest of the world, with their insatiable desire to let everyone know that they had chicken salad sandwiches for lunch grabbed the thing and ran with it. Both entities went from good ideas to abject stupidity.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

1 members found this post helpful.

I think generally speaking social media is a lot of eqo trips and diarrhea of the mind. Blogs about a topic are interesting. Blogs about people's own lives are eqo trips. Facebook is fine for keeping up with friends quickly but do I really need to know when someone has arrived at the grocery store. Twitter is complete diarrhea.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

I'm close to your age and I really enjoy interacting with old friends and colleagues on Facebook, *especially* as we've moved out here to the country in the Deep South and I really do not fit in.

I don't use Twitter as much anymore -- it was more useful when I was immersed in open source and technology. It was how we coordinated things at conferences and shared links to interesting technical articles, etc.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

My mother's in her sixties and my Dad's in his seventies. They're both on Facebook (Dad mostly just plays Farmville, but Mom does that, Words With Friends, actually reads her timeline--I don't, usually, just visit my groups...) So it's not age.

I tweet, because it's really good for Etsy and Kindle authors and does seem to allow making 'new' connections more easily than Facebook. Same reason I use Pinterest, I stick my own products on Etsy on a DIY board. (Don't actually look at anything else.)

I think people who 'hate' them tend to have a very superficial experience of them--the free games are good on Facebook, as is the ability to form interest groups (join one Titanic group and next thing I know I'm messaging the guys who wrote the books I used as references for my lectures), you don't HAVE to sit there reading everyone's updates on where they went to lunch (and you can hide feeds from people who do nothing BUT post that.) Twitter, I don't sit there reading,b ut again if you're selling something, it's handy.

Pinterest I really don't get, but I'm not a 'picture' person, I'm a verbal person, so I suspect I'm not the target market.

LOVE Twitter. Facebook I use for picture sharing and getting/giving updates with my family.

I. Dont. Get. Pinterest.

I don't think it really has to do with your age, more with your level of interest and willingness to share weird stuff with people you may not know. Especially when it comes to Twitter and anyone can retweet your stuff.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

51 here, and I do use FB a lot because I have friends who are scattered hither and yon, and it's an easy way to keep in touch in a way that periodic phone calls and emails (which I'm horrible at) can't seem to do.

I don't get twitter though, because there isn't anyone other than friends that I'd want to follow, and I already do that via FB and more personal contact. I have no desire to follow celebrities or news organizations etc.

And, no you don't HAVE to tell people everything you are doing, nor do you HAVE to read all the posts from those who feel they must outline every last itch and twitch. That's what the 'hide' functions are for, or you drop the irritants off your list. I post something of my own maybe twice a week, if that. I comment here and there on someone else's posts. I hide a LOT of things. I also use FB Purity to customize my FB view so I don't see the ads, and it lets me filter a lot of the crap I don't want to read about.

{shrug} I like it, but I'm circumspect about what I post.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh Thank God it's not just me... (43)
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

I don't like twitter, have an account but haven't used it at all. I use facebook to keep up with friends and family that are scattered around the country and world. Most of the people on my friends list are people that I know in real life though. I don't just add people to bump up the friends count, and my account is set to private so only friends can see it. I don't like the idea of anybody under the sun seeing my pictures and status updates. I just started a pinterest account to save pictures of things that I'd like to build in my garden and recipe ideas. I'm not following anybody and don't have any followers, its just a place for me to gather ideas.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Well, I'm upper-mid-30's, and I'm finding myself enjoying FB more for the general business-related updates that come across my newsfeed-- traffic updates, weather updates, lunch specials for the places I like to eat, etc., etc. I'm glad FB is moving in that direction, so it's not all about what my friends are eating for lunch anymore, lol...
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

With Twitter, it's all about the accounts that you follow. I follow a lot of comedians, and last night during the Great Super Bowl Blackout of 2013, Twitter was HYSTERICAL. Like Bob Saget's (@bobsaget) post right after the lights came back on and play started up again: "You know what'd be great right now, if the sprinklers went off." Or after a commercial, comedy writer Guy Endore-Kaiser (@GuyEndoreKaiser) tweeted: "I don't know what this commercial is for, but I want to buy a farmer so bad now."

It also depends on what you want to use it FOR, too. I like that it puts me in direct contact with a lot of the services/companies I do business with. For example, this past fall I traveled to 11 cities, 27,000 flight miles, 6 straight weeks - and I was in Twitter communicado with American Airlines (updates on flights, etc), Holiday Inn (complimented them on a great stay at one of their hotels - got a $25 gift card in the mail from them shortly thereafter!), etc.

But outside of that, I use it to tweet bad jokes and say things like "Just dropped my phone on my face if anyone wants to know how my day is going so far." It's also been a great way to keep up with my brother who is a journalist living overseas. He posts links to his own column or other columns that he finds interesting - great way to see what he's up to and what he's reading.

Also, a couple weeks ago my coffee maker conked out on me, and my EMAIL to Keurig went unanswered....but I got a Twitter reply from them almost immediately.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

My wife and I have three decades on you and we each have a Facebook account. She uses it for a few close friends and family for incidental communication, and I use it to keep track of a couple of dozen horsey friends. Being able to access it VIA mobile is great at shows. All data in our profiles are bogus for obvious reasons.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    Also, a couple weeks ago my coffee maker conked out on me, and my EMAIL to Keurig went unanswered....but I got a Twitter reply from them almost immediately.
    Now THAT is sad....
    But not an unheard phenomenon....
    The head honcho of the national body of a sport conducted business in like fashion...email, etc went largely unanswered...but Twitter...BAM

Sorry, that is actually a bad side effect of twitter.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

56. I resisted FB forever. Thought it was a gossip line. However, I have learned to embrace the social site and now post photos, keep in touch with friends, have in depth conversations about serious issues like gun control, Obamacare, and such. FB keeps me in touch with family and friends that don't live near me anymore (or ever did). It's been a great connection tool for me and I've learned a lot from others.

Twitter I don't do, because I can only fit so much into my life and right now, it's FB.

I'm 40 and I really enjoy both Facebook and Twitter. Facebook allows me to connect regularly with family and friends I'd otherwise only see once or twice a year, and to share photos etc. with them. I play one or two games, nothing much, and my pet peeve is when people share every single game achievement on their feed. Ugh. I don't mind people sharing game posts when there's something in it for other players (i.e. one game I play gives other players extra energy when someone levels up and posts it), but if there isn't, keep it to yourself. Nobody cares.

Twitter is a lot of fun if you choose who you're going to follow carefully. I don't follow very many "regular" people, not even my friends. I do follow people within my industry and those I find entertaining. It's too important to what I do not to have it.

I don't use Pinterest etc. I do use Google+ occasionally for work stuff.

Like them or not, social media are a huge part of our culture right now. Being savvy on social media rapidly becoming a requirement for many jobs (I do the social media for the website I'm a minority owner of). The flip side if it is that it is KILLING the news industry from every side. I wish there was a way to strike a balance.

I'm in my late 30s, and I like FB. I use it like many of the other posters here--to stay in touch with family and friends that live around the globe. I like that I can see pics of my friends' children and pets, or their latest trips. I like that I can share pics of my pets and trips with them. I have my account set to private, visible to friends, and I don't share contact info on FB. Anyone that should have that info already has it. I also have a small friend list, made up of people I actually know, that post things I am interested in and that are interested in what I post.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    I'm 40 and I really enjoy both Facebook and Twitter. Facebook allows me to connect regularly with family and friends I'd otherwise only see once or twice a year, and to share photos etc. with them. I play one or two games, nothing much, and my pet peeve is when people share every single game achievement on their feed. Ugh. I don't mind people sharing game posts when there's something in it for other players (i.e. one game I play gives other players extra energy when someone levels up and posts it), but if there isn't, keep it to yourself. Nobody cares.

Twitter is a lot of fun if you choose who you're going to follow carefully. I don't follow very many "regular" people, not even my friends. I do follow people within my industry and those I find entertaining. It's too important to what I do not to have it.

I don't use Pinterest etc. I do use Google+ occasionally for work stuff.

Like them or not, social media are a huge part of our culture right now. Being savvy on social media rapidly becoming a requirement for many jobs (I do the social media for the website I'm a minority owner of). The flip side if it is that it is KILLING the news industry from every side. I wish there was a way to strike a balance.
    In all fairness, much of the 'news' industry needs to be killed....

I'm in your age group, OP, and while I do have a FB account, I never post anything on my wall. I agree with the poster who mentioned ego trips.

I only have a FB account in case people want to contact me, and to share pictures.
    I don't have a Twitter/Tumblr whatev-er account.
    I do most of my communication via email. I don't like phone calls either.

I don't think it's age related either - my 20 yo daughter hates social media too
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I'm 44 and did resist FB for quite some time. But I did join a few years ago and have to say I get a lot out of it.

I don't post too much on there, I'll pop a neat new photo or something up there sometimes. But I do love that I now know how my out of state cousins are all doing on an almost daily basis. I get to see all new photos of nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews. And a nice surprise was getting contacted by some old grade-high school friends I haven't seen or talked to in ages. I can now see their kids and chat from time to time. I helped my best friend from my childhood (neighbor, we literally played together from the cradle) get her Realtor license and I hadn't seen or heard from her in over 20 years.
    Plus I'm FB friends with some people I met on online horse BBs, it's nice getting to know them more. They're almost like family now...poor buggers, LOL!

I don't Tweet. It doesn't have any business benefit for me and I don't need the planet knowing "At grocery store" "leaving grocery store" "putting groceries away." I also don't much care what famous people Tweet about. So for me, Twitter doesn't fit me.

Pinterest...a lot of the FB people I know do that. I don't, but have to admit I've saved a bunch of their picture posts of nice kitchens or decorating ideas, etc.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte