The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question for vegetarians - Carbs

I'm working on eating less meat and adopting more of a vegetarian type diet. I've bought a couple vegetarian books to help with what I should and shouldn't eat. I already eat a healthy diet with whole grains, veggies and fruits. I buy organic where I can.

I've always tried to limit my carb intake to help maintain my weight. But with the vegetarian diet it seems very carb oriented.

As a vegetarian how do you maintain your weight?

Vegetarian diets that make an attempt to simply replace the meat are carb loaded because they rely heavily on pasta. For me, the trick is not to replace the meat with anything. If you do have pasta or potato, think of it more as a condiment. I think that the staple of any vegetarian diet should be beans and legumes. Full of fiber and protein and you don't need much to fill you up.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

1 members found this post helpful.

Get a book or two on veggy diets for diabetics. They minimize the "bad" carbs.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Ditto the legumes and beans. I've also started using a lot of quinoa instead of rice or pasta in dishes. It took me a few tries to cook it right, but now I prefer it to rice (still love a good pasta dish though).

Probably not the healthiest, but I also really like the Morning Star Farms Chik'n products... I always keep a box in the freezer for nights I just don't feel like cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    I think that the staple of any vegetarian diet should be beans and legumes. Full of fiber and protein and you don't need much to fill you up.
    This. I've been an "almost" vegetarian for a couple years now (my SO is a vegetarian, but sometimes I slip and have a hamburger). I really like tempeh, it's made with soybeans and/or various whole grains. I like it a lot better than tofu, and I just make the same healthy recipies I would make before, but substitute tempeh for meat. I find that I stay fuller for longer than when I eat the same amount in meat. Tempeh and tofu have a lot of protein per serving, are low in cholesterol and high in fiber.

Don't be put off by some of the strange recipes you might find online for vegetarian diets either, but like Frank said, a good cookbook can help you get on the right track.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

The trick is to not use carbs to replace meat. If you can, use different kinds of beans instead of rice or pasta. I know a lot of people who like to use spaghetti squash in pasta dishes as a replacement for pasta. Quinoa and potatoes are also good replacements for simple carbs like pastas and rice, when done in moderation.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post

Probably not the healthiest, but I also really like the Morning Star Farms Chik'n products... I always keep a box in the freezer for nights I just don't feel like cooking.
    Me too, mmm...

My best tip is not to think about "replacing" the meat but entirely revision your meals. Start with lots of proteins (beans, green leafy veg, etc.) and add to that.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Be careful of depending on soy for protein. Omega 6s are not the same as Omega 3s. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40014...d-omega-6.html

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast