The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bogs boots

Do they fit like Muddruckers?

I am looking for a little different fit and have never tried Bogs.

Muddruckers 9 is a bit small and 10 is a bit big.

How would Bogs compare?

I love my Bogs and they tend to run a little small.

I can't compare to Muddruckers. I usually wear 7.5 or 8 shoes and usually buy size 8 boots. I bought size 8 Bogs and they are TIGHT. They are starting to loosen up and break in - after a year - but I can only wear them with super thin socks which is not what a size 8 boot to me usually means.

I actually found that mine have run a little big. But I have some reason to believe that they might have been mislabeled, so my input might not be of much help. If it makes any difference, when I called customer service about the sizing, I was informed that most people feel that they run true to size.

I adore my bogs (even though they are a little big). They just as durable as other muck boots out there, but they are so much more comfortable.

I bought the tall orginal bog boots in the fall. I LOVE them. They keep my legs so warm. When the rest of me is freezing my legs are still nice and toasty. Very comfy.

I usually wear a 7.5 in shoes and first bought a size 7 and then sent those back and got a 8. The 7 fit but were just a bit too snug and the 8's are perfect. So they probably run just a tad small.

I have some bogs and while they are comfy on my feet they rub the front on my shins right at the top of the boot. They can rub me raw. Does anyone else have that problem?

BTW, I do wear high socks and stuff my pants down inside also.

The taller bogs fit narrower than the ankle length ones, so you might find you need a larger size in the taller for the width. I like the bogs because they are on the narrower size vs other makes of similar boots, but if you don't have narrow feet it is something to consider.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Mine are a 9 and I wear 8.5 to 9's. They fit perfectly with a Smartwool sock. I think they are narrow in the heel, but I need that. I can't compare them to other brands, sorry.

I like them because they are snug at the feet instead of wide and have some arch support but i can see if you have a wide foot it might not work. The only problem I had with rubs was if I wore ill fitting socks (lol I sneak dh's away from him sometimes) it will rub my heel. I have a very prominent heel bone (rubs out most of the padding out of most of my shoes at the heel) though. It doesn't bother me though if I wear thin fitting socks, smartwool or barefoot.

I only tuck my pants in half of the time..if it's really muddy or if I'm doing stalls. Tucking jeans in looks bulky.

I've found that the fit varies between models. Can't compare Bogs to Mudruckers as I've not tried the latter, but I do have Muck Boots and found the Bogs Rider and my Muck Tack boots are similar in foot size. The Muck might run just slightly larger. I have the Bogs Rider and Bogs Taylor in my normal size 7 and they fit great. Don't find the foot narrow at all. But I tried a pair of Bogs Mattie (low boot/shoe) in a 7 and those were super tight in length and width.

I love the Bogs Rider boots and wear them constantly around here. I don't ride in them, but do use them for all my barn work and like the less slippery sole on them compared to the Taylor boots. Helps that I got them for a killer deal too!

Love. They rubbed my heel maybe the first two times, then broke in and now are perfect. I got them on mad sale (tall version). I'm a half size (9.5) and I think I got the 9 and it fits well.

I was wondering about Bogs too. I am looking for a tall version of some comfy muck boots suitable for working in winter in Canada. The problem is that I have tiny ankles and very thin calves...like 12". Bogs are 15" in the calf. Anything run smaller than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    I was wondering about Bogs too. I am looking for a tall version of some comfy muck boots suitable for working in winter in Canada. The problem is that I have tiny ankles and very thin calves...like 12". Bogs are 15" in the calf. Anything run smaller than that?
    If you wear tall thick socks and tuck in your jeans (which are bulkier than breeches in tall boots) you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    The taller bogs fit narrower than the ankle length ones, so you might find you need a larger size in the taller for the width. I like the bogs because they are on the narrower size vs other makes of similar boots, but if you don't have narrow feet it is something to consider.
    I had the same experience. I usually wear an 8.5 but an 8 in bogs (tall ones) is perfect for me. The length is generous but the width is snug - I have narrow feet so it works perfectly for me.

Just wanted to bump this back up with a report on my recent (good!) experience with Bogs. My Rider boots had cracked at the instep after less than a year of service and I was really bummed as I wear those boots EVERY DAY here in the wet NW. So I contacted Bogs via the website and found out they are covered under the warranty. I just had to send them pictures and information and they are now shipping me a brand new pair of boots. I first contacted them last Thursday and got the message about new boots shipping today, so they were very responsive. So, while i was really disappointed in the longevity of the boots, I'm hoping I just got a bum pair, and I'm thrilled with the company's customer service.

Good to know about the warranty!

I have an update too. I just bought the Bogs tall plimsoll boots and I love them even though the calf is very wide for me. I usually wear an 8.5 but bought a 9 and they are perfect. I would say they run a bit on the narrow side. I have moderately narrow feet and they fit me well in the foot bed, which is unusual. So if you have wide feet I don't think they would fit great.

Ugh! I wish I knew about the warranty. I had a pair of Bogs that cracked within a year of use. I was super disappointed as they boots were so cute, I don't wear them everyday and they are kept indoors in my mudroom. This happened two years ago....but I still have the boots in my closet (I was going to try caulking them as they were so cute!). Wonder if I could still get them replaced? I'll contact them.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Just wanted to bump this back up with a report on my recent (good!) experience with Bogs. My Rider boots had cracked at the instep after less than a year of service and I was really bummed as I wear those boots EVERY DAY here in the wet NW. So I contacted Bogs via the website and found out they are covered under the warranty. I just had to send them pictures and information and they are now shipping me a brand new pair of boots. I first contacted them last Thursday and got the message about new boots shipping today, so they were very responsive. So, while i was really disappointed in the longevity of the boots, I'm hoping I just got a bum pair, and I'm thrilled with the company's customer service.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html