The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I don't know how effective (or not) the hotwire might be.

I have working border collies, and I know that things that normally scare them silly (like thunderstorms) don't even make a blip on the radar screen when they're working sheep.

OTOH, I've heard horror stories of collies getting traumatized into neurotic behavior by electric shock. For example, I know of one who will no longer leave the front porch because her owner got one of those stupid invisible fences.

And I've always heard the quickest way to ruin a collie for stock work is to use an electric training collar.

However, I'm told cattle dogs are much "harder" dogs than collies, in that they seem better able to blow through a correction. So I don't know, sorry.

I read your latest post and I'm still not clear whether or not you've sat down with the dog owner and said "I need you to confine the dogs on your property because they are a danger to my horses?" If so, what was the answer? I'm having a hard time understanding how the owner can justify letting her dogs roam loose when her actions clearly demonstrate she understands they are a hazard to horses.
    Last edited by pAin't_Misbehavin'; Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    I read your latest post and I'm still not clear whether or not you've sat down with the dog owner and said "I need you to confine the dogs on your property because they are a danger to my horses?"
    No, I have not.
    Her answer to AC, neighbors, and myself is that her dogs don't run loose/off the property. That's what she told me in response to me telling her that they were on my property and to keep them off and away from my dogs. When she's out there, they don't. Short of me getting video, I don't think she'd believe me. And as I said in one of my earlier posts, I can't get reliable photos/videos of those little bastards at night.

Have you considered getting a game camera to provide proof to her and animal control that they do leave her property when she is not out there supervising them. Game cameras can (depending on model) take photos at night and do not require you to supervise them, they are activated by the motion of the dogs.

I don't think I'd go to the trouble of proving anything to the dog owner. I'd just tell her I'd found her dogs at my barn twice in the early morning. And ask her if she can or will keep her dogs confined at night because yes ma'am those dogs do stay around as long as you're out there, but at night they're coming over to my place and I'm sorry but that's just got to stop.

I'd put it on her to come up with a solution to the problem. If she won't or can't, then, OP, I guess you have to do something. But I'd sure try my best to motivate her to do the right thing before I spent any of my money.

Wouldn't you just love to have a cute, braying, dog stomping donkey ?
    http://donkeyrescue.donordrive.com/

Care and feeding; https://donkeyrescue.donordrive.com/...$/100/1023.pdf
    Last edited by Equibrit; Feb. 7, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I've spoken to an AC rep and they also suggested a live trap, given this owner has several complaints filed against her already. I didn't know, but it's illegal in the parish for dogs to be off leash/not contained, so she's in the wrong already by having her dogs live freely outside. They said trap the dog(s), bring it in, and the owner will have to pay to get it back, plus they'll likely be fined, which given the past complaints against her, may be up to $5k.

1 members found this post helpful.

Do you have access to that size humane trap?

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    I've spoken to an AC rep and they also suggested a live trap, given this owner has several complaints filed against her already. I didn't know, but it's illegal in the parish for dogs to be off leash/not contained, so she's in the wrong already by having her dogs live freely outside. They said trap the dog(s), bring it in, and the owner will have to pay to get it back, plus they'll likely be fined, which given the past complaints against her, may be up to $5k.
    This is what I would do.

I remember AC had traps you could use for a set period of time in the last city I lived in. Perhaps there is a similar thing through the extension office if your AC doesn't have them?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    ... They said trap the dog(s), bring it in, and the owner will have to pay to get it back, plus they'll likely be fined, which given the past complaints against her, may be up to $5k.
    This sounds like a great solution. That kind of money would get their attention. I think I'd be tempted, though, one final attempt to keep a good neighbor vibe with these folks-- apart from the dog issue seems like you have a cordial relationship and that's worth preserving. (? if things are already poisoned, then just trap and let AC take care of it). An infrared game camera is cheap, would catch the dogs in the act without you having to sit out there night after night in the dark You can bring the photos to your neighbor with a no-fault tone of voice: "hey I can tell you've worked hard to train them to stay on the property, and but seems like they're straying at night when you're not around. We need to find some solution so that the dogs do not enter my property."

Whatever you do, don't let them suck you into a debate whether the dogs will actually chase the horses/whether the horses are really at risk. I can totally predict the owner that says her dogs would not leave the property at night will also say that you don't need to worry anyway because her dogs won't hurt anything. Just keep firm that you do not need to justify your reasons to them. "Because I said so" is perfectly legitimate
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

The trick will be getting the dog(s) to enter the trap.

Says the woman who still occasionally sees the feral Katrina rescue chow who scaled her chain-link fence upon arrival, never to be touched by human hand again, roaming the fields and woods near her farm.

"Trap, schmap," said that dog. "You'll never take me alive!!!"

And unlike these cattle dogs, he wasn't getting regular meals.

Can you bait the trap with small horse?

What a crappy situation. I'm responding because I'm disappointed in the dog owner... I own a red heeler, and I really can't stand it when people have these dogs and let them turn into monsters. Once they are monsters... they really are atrocious. Especially if there is more than one of them.

From my experience, hot wire won't work for a jazzed ACD. I've seen them run through various forms of electric shocks because they know it is only temporary, and it will stop when they get to the other side.

In an ideal situation, look at reinforcing your fence with wire (no climb, which shouldn't be an issue of safety for hooves), approach your neighbors again and officially know where you stand on things now, and that you will have to take things to the authorities if you can't work something out together. Then, go to the authorities if you need to. Be prepared to stay on top of things with AC until the resolve the situation. Simultaneously, learn your local laws and what you can do to protect your property.

Sorry this is happening. My advice is the same as many others. You are just going to have to move forward if you want it to be resolved... I'm afraid the timing of turning your horses out, in the long run, will have little impact.
    My boy, "Mr. Nice Guy"

Ask me about Final Furlong, Inc. - promoting "Responsible retirement for thoroughbred racehorses through the racing industry".