The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Web hosting and DIY design sites?

Business is growing and it's time to get a website for my small business. An acquaintance tells me she likes Yahoo Web Hosting. I like her site and I'm inclined to pursue this, but I wanted to see other's opinions.

If you have a small business and did your own web design but aren't TOO techy/ savvy, please share. Thanks in advance..

I use Intuit, both to host and to DIY design my sites. They're not perfect (don't support drop-down menus, the blog captchas are tough for users), but the design software is simple drag-and-drop stuff, and there are lots of options in terms of premade templates or graphics to design your own. And at $20/month for both sites, they're very affordable.

Here's one I did using one of their premade templates:

And here's one where I started from scratch using their graphic plug-ins:

Good luck! I find web design both fun and irritating ;-)
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person

I am not sure if it counts, but I use weebly for my class website and love it. Very easy for me to update and manage and looks okay for a free site. Only issue is that the domain name is because I wasn't willing to pay for an actual domain name. I figure that parents know I am poor.

Pm me if you would like the address to check it out.

I have a Mac and used iWeb to design our site, and currently use for web hosting. I paid for a domain name (wasn't expensive, depends on what you pick). I switched to from and sort of regret it, the godaddy customer service was better and my site never went down. I haven't been great about updating the site though and haven't sat down to actually switch back. hasn't been terrible, but I think was better. And, for the record, I know NOTHING about web design, iWeb is super user-friendly. Probably the site would look better if we had someone who knew what they were doing, but I think for a total ignoramus it looks ok . I'm sure there are Windows equivalent programs if you aren't an Apple person. Here's our site:

Westchester County, NY

Like the poster above, I use Intuit. I am a real novice at computers, but was able to put my site together with the information my customers need.