The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So I've done some research and I can get a cat sitter (who works at my vet's office!) to come once a day to feed/change litter/play as well as my BF to come once a day for snuggles. I think this sounds like a good plan??

Louise - I've been toying around with that one for a while! I was at my local shelter yesterday and saw a big chunk who I think would get along well with my big chunk! We shall see!

4 members found this post helpful.

Last edited by MumboJumbo; Feb. 4, 2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: double post

If you choose to keep kitty at home, what about leaving a TV on for some company during the hours between the pet sitter and BF?

Leave the cat at home with someone check on them once a day or once every other day. He will be fine for 9 days.

I also agree with get another cat option if you are going to be travelling a lot. My parents are out of town for 4/7 days a week and just leave the cats food and water and they are fine. They have each other for company, a few litter boxes, lots of food and water.

I still have my foster that I mentioned had lived the bachelor life for four whole months. And who lives with two other kitties. So he's proven for everything you need Shall I drop him off?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3089944...in/photostream

I've found all of mine did just fine with little-to-no interaction. My big fatty katty is an attention hog and sounds like he is DYING if I do something insane like take my shoes off before petting him when I come in. I live in a first floor apt and can hear him yelling for me when I come through the building entrance. But it's out of sight, out of mind for him. When I'm gone I think he barely notices the day change and just thinks "huh, you've been gone a while" when I come back.

1 members found this post helpful.

I use a pet sitter who comes in twice a day. Years ago, a couple of my neighbors convinced me that they would take wonderful care of the cats and dogs.

Neighbor #1: Sent the kids over. When I got home some days later, every . single . light in the house was on and all the doors were open at least some bit. Drawers in the bureau in the bedroom open. NEVER AGAIN

Neighbor #2: Said he'd be over twice a day to take care of them and play with them. When I got home, the cat food was covered in mold - that did NOT happen overnight. the water dishes were dry, the dogs were hungry. I called him and asked what hsppened. He said he was tired the night before and decided to just sleep. Sorry, had to have been more than just the night before I came home - and what about breakfast that day?

Uh uh, I now use a well paid and reliable pet sitter, comes in twice a day, brings treats for the dogs, feeds the horses carrots, plays with the cats. She and/or her husband are totally reliable - unlike unpaid neighbors or BF's, LOVES my animals and takes completely correct and reliable care of my animals - including one dog who needs pills twice a day.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

I read this as "Where would kitty like to go for a Cat-Centric Vacation?"

That's not what you have in mind. In fact, he won't be on vacation at all while you are.

How's the boarding facility? Is it Cat-Centric? Maybe talk to the cruise director there and see what they do for the cats to keep them entertained.

Or, are your friends willing to keep the dog at bay and/or go out of their way to make the introductions pleasant for both sides? Will they give kitteh some special lovin' each day so that he feels like he has family time? Unless the dog is a Cat Molester, I think Laid Back Dude would be happiest at your friends' place... at least after a couple of days.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

In my experience there are a lot of cats that don't do change well. So kitty boarding may go horribly wrong.

Last time we went away for about 5 days one of our friends stayed at the house and watched the herd. We have 2 dogs and 3 cats!

Back when we had just 1 cat and 1 dog we went on vacation for a week and were able to take the dog with us. We had someone come in and check on our cat, refill the food and water bowl and clean the cat box every day. By the time we got home he was super talkative and rubbing against me. I think he missed us and he doesn't like other people so I can only imagine what he was saying! We got him kitty friends after that
    "There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience."

Board him. My mom's cat was terribly lonely when she went on vacation. I came 2x a day, but it didn't help and she started messing all over in retaliation( even after mom got home). Your friend is nice to offer but I would be worried about the cat possibly getting out or something.

We use a pet sitter & our kitts love her. Do get some references though & ask what they'll do, how long they stay, etc. The 1st service we used was not good - they missed a day & then showed up after we had returned home. I heard a key in the front lock & it was the cat sitter with a huge dog & a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. We were like uhm, we're home! She said, "oh, my bad - next visit is free" Never used them again! A good pet sitter will ask all the right info - emergency vet contact info, emergency family member, neighbor's #, etc.

So after much thought, I think I am going to leave kitty at home. I have a cat sitter (also a vet tech!) lined up to come in every morning to feed/water/clean litter box/cuddle with kitty. BF is going to stop by in the afternoons/evenings to hang out with kitty for an hour or so, so he should be ok.

I'm still going to worry, but I'd worry no matter what the situation!

I would vote for trying to find an in-house sitter or visitor.

My kitty would probably handle being in a boarding situation fine (he's a nervous type but loooooooooooves attention and would likely man-whore himself to the employees after a day of adjustment ), but I always worry what stress will do to his sensitive urinary system.

I've been lucky enough to have my aunt visit once a day to feed and give him attention when I've had to go out of town, and thankfully she loves the little booger and doesn't mind. I'll be searching for a house sitter first thing when I move to SC as I might be back in Ohio for the July 4th weekend.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

OP, that is similar to the arrangement I had for my dogs when I had to be away for a few days. The paid person gave me assurance that the person would be there since they wanted to get paid - and they knew another person was coming daily, so it wouild be hard to fake it! My friend also came but I felt relieved that if there was an issue, they didnt have to be there at a specific time.
    Doggies have a dog door and locked run. They are used to me being away all day for work, so that wasnt so different. And they knew both people who were caring for them, so that helped too!
    So if my dogs could handle it well, I think your kitty can too. And how much personal attention would a pet get in most boarding situations?

You said your BF could come in during the day ... could he stay at your place while you're gone or spend a few nights? That might be more convenient for him than dropping by occasionally, depending on how far from your place he lives and works ...

Alternative: could you stay at a pet-friendly hotel on your trip? Some are more friendly than others; some allow pets; I stayed at a lovely hotel once long-term and it was very pet-friendly. Everyone on the staff (except for one animal-phobic housekeeper) loved their animal guests (and she was kind, just phobic).
    Rack on!

Quote Originally Posted by MumboJumbo View Post
    So I've done some research and I can get a cat sitter (who works at my vet's office!) to come once a day to feed/change litter/play as well as my BF to come once a day for snuggles. I think this sounds like a good plan??

Louise - I've been toying around with that one for a while! I was at my local shelter yesterday and saw a big chunk who I think would get along well with my big chunk! We shall see!
    Sounds great--just wait 'til you get back to introduce new big chunk!
    Rack on!

I always stress about this, too!

I had a recommended and insured professional cat sitter feed/care for my cat once when I went on a weeks vacation and came home to the littler box top having been put on backwards with the opening facing the wall two days prior (they came in the morning and I got home the next evening) and my cat instead used my bed as his litter box. The pet sitter said they would pay to have my mattress cleaned but not a new mattress. Yuck.

Leaving him alone is ok for about 2 days, then I think he has a mental meltdown (or eats all his food at once, ha ha) and can start acting out due to the stress - usually by using the bathroom outside his box.

My cat does ok with boarding at the vets office. He does get stressed, but at least I know he's definitely being taken care of and monitored.

I have had trusted friends stay at my house and that was an ideal situation. Go with this one, if possible. That way the kitty has a friend to hang out with and the friend can monitor weird behavior and clean up any messes.

MumboJumbo
    So after much thought, I think I am going to leave kitty at home. I have a cat sitter (also a vet tech!) lined up to come in every morning to feed/water/clean litter box/cuddle with kitty. BF is going to stop by in the afternoons/evenings to hang out with kitty for an hour or so, so he should be ok.

I'm still going to worry, but I'd worry no matter what the situation!
    I just don't know how you can resist this ever-so-cute boy!!! posted by LarissaL

Quote Originally Posted by LarissaL View Post
    I still have my foster that I mentioned had lived the bachelor life for four whole months. And who lives with two other kitties. So he's proven for everything you need Shall I drop him off?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3089944...in/photostream