The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default running away from home at 53

the more we discuss it the more dh and i are both intrigued and excited about not buying another home. this one is for sale and we've been looking at options in our price range, but we keep waliking away and muttering that we really don't want another mortgage. and property taxes.
    and worry about fences, neighbors, propane, etc.
    we've got a summer camp lined up which we're totally infatuated with, and cannot wait for summer. we're actually thinking we can stay here summers near our friends and loved ones and live in florida or texas or california for the rest of the year, visitng other loved ones finally.
    i know there are millions of snowbirds in this country, we may become snowbirds and full time rv-ers.
    now to find the most comfortable rig with living quarters my one ton dually can manage.
    or heck, maybe we'll trade that in too and go even bigger on the road!
    whee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

of course if we find the right house we'll reconsider staying and building the business now instead of later. but dh feels well now, so now is our window of opportunity i believe.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    the more we discuss it the more dh and i are both intrigued and excited about not buying another home. this one is for sale and we've been looking at options in our price range, but we keep waliking away and muttering that we really don't want another mortgage. and property taxes.
    and worry about fences, neighbors, propane, etc.
    we've got a summer camp lined up which we're totally infatuated with, and cannot wait for summer. we're actually thinking we can stay here summers near our friends and loved ones and live in florida or texas or california for the rest of the year, visitng other loved ones finally.
    i know there are millions of snowbirds in this country, we may become snowbirds and full time rv-ers.
    now to find the most comfortable rig with living quarters my one ton dually can manage.
    or heck, maybe we'll trade that in too and go even bigger on the road!
    whee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

of course if we find the right house we'll reconsider staying and building the business now instead of later. but dh feels well now, so now is our window of opportunity i believe.
    Go for it Suz! There will be a million naysayers out there, but really, if you feel good, DH feels good, and you can swing it financially, you should do it now, while you can.

I know there are a ton of snowbird forums, I'd suggest doing a lot of reading before you decide where to land and when.

Good luck to you.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Do it now, while you're still young enough to enjoy it. We all have to build up those good memories that we can enjoy when we're unable to travel any longer.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Glad to hear things are looking good to go. Yes, now or never! Just don't forget to check in and give us some stories from the road!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Louise and CVPeg are exactly right. You have the money, it's is OK for work, and if you don't go for it now you never will. You can always change your mind and settle somewhere. In this economy I wouldn't buy unless you find your forever home that won't ever be sold, or that you can set on for years before selling. There are people that RV or trailer around the country constantly and love it. There are all kinds of conventions (Good Sam, etc) you can go to for fun, and to meet people, and there are many that travel during spring and fall, and settle down for a few months in winter and summer. You might try it and get tired of it, but you might love it and want to spend the rest of your life doing this also. And you could eventually find a home base, and then still travel a lot with somewhere to come back to. You can do it, so why not!
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Doesnt that just sound like the most fun? It doesnt have to be for the rest of your life, just for as long as you enjoy it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Another gypsy. Love it. I'll be retiring in about a year, and guess I'll stay put for a while (Ed is 83, so as long as he's alive). THEN - if I still can, I'd really like to just travel and stay with friends in various parts of the country. I'd keep some sort of permanent address in NY, as it does not tax SS or pension. A BIG plus, despite all the naysayers. San Francisco, Birmingham, Columbia... and some places with no friends, but maybe get one or two to join me - New Orleans...

I can dream, can't I?

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I have to find a link, but there are whole snowbird towns sponsored by Amazon during the holiday season, the snowbirds get a little extra $$ and the company gets a pretty reliable and competent workforce.

"Workamping" http://www.snowbirdrvtrails.com/workkamping.htm
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

There are also big snowbird trailer parks in places like Southern Arizona (or used to be) and places like Yuma AZ get huge in the winter from the snowbirds. A lot of people have permanent trailers, and live in them during the winter. If you don't like moving around (some RV campground networks apparently limit you stay at each location), then you can always find the place you like the most and set down roots there.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

well as of this week dh isn't well enough to travel until he gets another few rounds of chemo.
    of course i'm very worried about him, he is is full of tumours from the leukemia and the next couple of months are not going to be easy for my poor guy.

so in addition to taking him to chemo a few days a week i have to get this place sold by may first.
    i'm scared but excited, worried but anticipating the future; basically i'm working hard not to be a total wreck.
    the truth is when he dies i'll be alone and homeless if i choose to think about it that way.
    i'll be alone yes, but will have a bit of money in the bank and assumably a pretty decent size rig in which the cats and the dog and my horse and i can live.
    and i can work almost anywhere as i am a caregiver for mildly disabled people and i used to be a cracker jack waitress.

yikes, the future is so bright i gotta wear shades!!!!!!!!!!!

Suz, I'm sending healing thoughts for your husband your way. I know it can't be easy to watch your life partner go through leukemia, tumors and chemo.

I met two people a few years ago who spent three years on the road traveling with their two mules and one horse. They told me they never paid for a campground but lived in BLM campgrounds etc. In fact they wrote two books on it explaining where to go and how to do it. Sounded great but I admit I never read the books. The authors names are Mike and Alison Walstad and the name of the books are "Outdoor Guide to Western Adventure Vol.1" and then there is Vol.2. I do have their email address to order the books. Send a private post if you are interested as I don't want to put their personal email on a public forum. Of course, googling the title would probably get you to a place like Amazon where it could be ordered. Best of luck with the travel plan. Husband and I would love to do that too but with four equine its probably not going to happen.