The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I love DA!

I will say I was more in love with first couple of seasons, especially the courting of season 1 and the hunt scenes. Still love it, but liked season 1 better.

"American" style soap opera? We didn't invent Upstairs Downstairs... (Or Coronation Street or Eastenders, come to that...)

And I also wonder if Daisy has ever figured out EXACTLY how Thomas is not a ladies' man--everyone else seems to know. The "Downton Abbey as bunnies" parody (done with cuddly-toy dolls in a dollhouse) has the Mrs Patmore character using increasingly hysterical, over-the-top euphemisms to try and get the point across...it's not actually that far off the show, really.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Fred, I find myself wanting to give Daisy a good shake at least once or twice an episode. Thank God Mrs. Patmore is there to do it for me!

Mary is growing on me. Somehow, I don't find her as insufferable as I did at first. Matthew has been good for her.

I really hope Edith finds some happiness. I could have killed that old goat for leaving her at the altar - even though it was the right thing to do.
    Yes, the Daisy character irritates me too. It's not just that she is not intelligent, she is without imagination and is stubbornly, relentlessly stupid. It was thanks to her idiocy after the death of the Turkish diplomat that O'Brian and Thomas and Edith found out. Then, when William was dying her dithering made me crazy.
    I would imagine too, that she has no idea that Thomas is gay, despite Mrs Patmore trying to spell it out for her.
    I think she has just given up on him as a potential boyfriend.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Then, when William was dying her dithering made me crazy.
    That didn't bother me. She'd been browbeaten into being "his girl", guilt-tripped into being his fiance, and now she was being harassed into marrying him. Yes, he was dying, but in her mind that didn't make it acceptable to keep compounding the lies. Mrs. Patmore should have been smacked upside the head long before for essentially railroading Daisy into the whole thing from the start. Yes, William was a nice guy who genuinely liked Daisy and was going off to war. That didn't mean he was ENTITLED to her like Mrs. Patmore seemed to think.

Say ,folks, please don't get so wrapped up in this thread that you give anything away - I'd hate a spoiler in case anybody has any insider information. I've watched a fair bit of DA, but the story has some gaps in it for me.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    "American" style soap opera? We didn't invent Upstairs Downstairs... (Or Coronation Street or Eastenders, come to that...)
    Precisely! I don't want to give anything away, but I think you'll see what I mean when you catch up. It was always Coronation Street in fancy dress, but it has clearly moved more into American-soap territory now in my opinion... or maybe British soaps are just catching up with the fantasy aspects of some of their American cousins, with the attendant focus on privileged lifestyles and melodrama. Regardless, I wasn't intending to malign the genre in either country in particular... I think they're all pretty much of the same par, regardless of origin.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Gah!

Thanks guys!
    I missed the shows when they were on tv, OH bought me the box set for Christmas and I'm halfway through series two!

Im loving DA, although I would like to slap the stupid out of Daisy quite often!
    No hugging dear. I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

[QUOTE=Impromptu;

Im loving DA, although I would like to slap the stupid out of Daisy quite often![/QUOTE]

lol - Impromptu, I love your signature line.

danceronice, I disagree. I was glad that Daisy married William, and that Mrs Patmore (as usual) was right.

As far as DA being a 'soap opera'? - the term is always a bit derogatory isn't it?
    But it doesn't pretend to be a documentary.
    But as far as being "American" - nothing American about it.
    It is 'Upstairs Downstairs' with more money, (great acting, beautifully shot, more plot development) and moves along with the same kind of addictive speed of Coronation Street.
    America didn't invent that.

5 members found this post helpful.

Decided to join the masses. Copying this season's episodes. Don't have high speed internet, got tired of waiting for it from my library system, so bought 1 & 2 last week at B & N. It's my early morning treadmill companion!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

3 members found this post helpful.

It's a period drama not a soap opera. Soap operas are those shows that make you want to stick pins in your eyes or is that just me?
    No hugging dear. I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

5 members found this post helpful.

I think Daisy is naive, in that she has no idea that something like homosexuality could exist.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    I think Daisy is naive, in that she has no idea that something like homosexuality could exist.
    That's true. I'm sure she has no idea.
    If the word 'urine' is too graphic for Lord Grantham, I'm pretty sure this isn't something that would be discussed.
    Even my mother - she had no idea that Liberace was gay.

One more day!

The previews show Bates coming home, Tom holding his baby....

I am worried about what is going to happen with Tom.
    Can anyone reassure me?

I don't know who's going to exit the show feet first next, so please don't tell me!
    Just let it NOT be Maggie Smith. She's the one comical relief (with Mrs Patmore and Matthew's mother, maybe) in the show!

Re: Sir Anthony leaving Edith at the altar...I thought it's because he's gay (even if he might not know it yet!). Am I totally off the mark here? lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Default Sir Anthony and Edith

He was standing at the alter, and heard two women discussing it, who were seated close by that he was too old for her, and he felt ridiculous. It was a terrible thing to do, but poor Edith! She did push him a lot, but remember, they have covered 8 years, and don't older men marry younger women a lot!? I feel very sorry for Edith. She isn't pretty, and is always ignored. Now she is probably emotionally crushed.

I don't want to read the spoilers either, but during Mary's wedding when she asked Robert how he felt, and he said his heart was about to burst through his chest, I thought that was a clue. In fact, the previews had the veil falling down the stairs, I thought he would die and the wedding woudnt happen.
    I realise it is only television, but isn't it terrific teleision?
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    I don't know who's going to exit the show feet first next, so please don't tell me!
    Just let it NOT be Maggie Smith. She's the one comical relief (with Mrs Patmore and Matthew's mother, maybe) in the show!

Re: Sir Anthony leaving Edith at the altar...I thought it's because he's gay (even if he might not know it yet!). Am I totally off the mark here? lol
    He was previously married to a woman named Maud, who died (see Season 1, I think episode 6, his conversation with Edith while he's taking her for a spin in his new car.) That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but he *was* married.

I think it's sad that he and Edith didn't get married. They seemed very suited to each other. And if he had turned out to be gay, I think she would have been very understanding.

(One thing I noticed... we know Lady G is half-Jewish, through her father. And Edith, in spite of her fair hair, has some Jewish ethnic features like curly hair and a big nose. I do wonder if this is part of the reason she's picked on so much, considered "ugly" etc. Anti-semitism was a way of life for those folks...)
    Last edited by quietann; Feb. 9, 2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: EDITH, not ETHEL!!!!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

This is my favorite parody. Welcome to Downton Sixby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEabHQWntg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcAWEQmzQC4

Chai, those are great...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    He was standing at the alter, and heard two women discussing it, who were seated close by that he was too old for her, and he felt ridiculous. It was a terrible thing to do, but poor Edith! She did push him a lot, but remember, they have covered 8 years, and don't older men marry younger women a lot!? I feel very sorry for Edith. She isn't pretty, and is always ignored. Now she is probably emotionally crushed.

I don't want to read the spoilers either, but during Mary's wedding when she asked Robert how he felt, and he said his heart was about to burst through his chest, I thought that was a clue. In fact, the previews had the veil falling down the stairs, I thought he would die and the wedding woudnt happen.
    I realise it is only television, but isn't it terrific teleision?
    I noticed that comment from Robert too, and was worried that it might be prophetic.
    While I'm out cleaning stalls, I think about possible plot developments...
    maybe something will happen to Matthew (I hope not!), but the law for inheritance will change, and Mary will be able to inherit Downton after all...and she will keep Baby Sybil and raise her....

But I am still worried about Tom.

It is terrific television, I agree.