The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

They're going to have their hands full with Rose at Downton...should be interesting!

I actually won't miss Matthew too much. He and Mary were becoming totally irritating "Do you know how much I love you" etc. etc. *roll eyes*

I hope they write in an interesting love interest character for Tom. I really like him.
    Oh,m and more horses / riding scenes please! Come on writers, we're in England! Let the characters go foxhunting, at least!!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post

That shows how utterly invested I am in this show...
    ah

My husband has to keep reminding me that this is 'just a show', and the characters are 'plot devices'.

While I was typing this I just saw a trailer for an upcoming show/film on HBO and the male character looked a lot like Matthew....
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

A coupelof thoughts about O'Brien.

Supposedly the Granthams (including O'Brien as lady's maid) have been visiting Duneagles almost every year.

And it appears that Wilkins has been Susan's (Lady Flintshire) lady's maid for many years, including overseas postings(reference to the heat and gyppy tummy).

But Wilkins and O'Brien act as if they are meeting for the first time.

O'Brien is obviously interested in the travel that Wilkins dreads. One has to wonder if O'Brien will take Wilkins's place. I think Susan and O'Brien deserve each other!

If so, who will take O'Brien's place.

I think Tom (Branson) will take a more prominent role next season, as the only surviving male of that generation, and father of the grand daughter.

I have to wonder where Rose is going.

I found Shrimpie' comment about Robert (and Mathew's) modernizing a little odd. Only one year in, would it be THAT clear that it had made the estate profitable?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I think that O'Brien will become Susan's lady's maid - her position at Downton has to be uncomfortable now that she knows that others know about the soap, and she has that hanging over her head.

What to do about Rose?
    How 'bout Tom?

I love love love O'Brien and her evil laser beam dead aim and delicious pursuit of her evil plans. She's like a cross between the evil witch in the snow white fairy tale combined with Mr. Burns from the Simpsons. Luv her. Hope she doesnt go to the stag people.
    missed a few things:
    What happened to the new pretty maid and Branson?
    Edith was offered a job by the ppl who adopted Charlie?

I think thomas will get a romantic interest eventually.

I am looking forward to the heavy drama that certainly must be coming with these new babies, and the heir to be.
    "Lighten up, Francis." -Stripes

The pretty new maid was asked to leave and given references, because of the way that she was behaving towards Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes.

It was not Edith, but Ethel who went to work for a lady who lives in the same town where her sons' grandparents live.

Lady Edith is about to become involved with a married man.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by 867-5309 View Post
    Edith was offered a job by the ppl who adopted Charlie?
    Not Edith. Ethel.

She was offered a job NEAR Charlie's grandparents. Not WITH or BY them.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

missed a few things:
    What happened to the new pretty maid and Branson?
    She was making a way too obvious play for him.

What about Tom and Rose?!

As for the actor, Dan Stevens, who played Mathew, he is a graduate of Cambridge. Apparently, he only signed on for three years. A google search said that he is now the Editor of a paper or magazine. He did not want to just be an actor. I will miss his handsome face and beautiful blue eyes.

At least, the Sixty Minutes interview with Maggie Smith revealed that she is doing season four. I do not know if I could watch Downton, without her comic relief.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Not Edith. Ethel.

She was offered a job NEAR Charlie's grandparents. Not WITH or BY them.
    Yes yes yes I meant Ethel whoops! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by arabracer View Post
    Yes, that's what I meant. Tom and Rose.

[QUOTE=867-5309;6843342]Yes yes yes I meant Ethel whoops! Thank you.[/QUOTE

I think the horrible Mr. will die, and Ethel will go to live with Charlie and his nice grandmother.

Quote Originally Posted by arabracer View Post
    Now there's a theory to chew on! I could see that. I see an Up stairs downstairs romance eventually as well.
    Oh and was mrs pattmores grocer beau a cad in the end? I'm telling you I dozed. Oops.

YIKES! Caution googling Dan Stevens. I just did it, picked an interesting looking article near the top - and yikes, it went to something nasty, and my virus protection kicked in.

Quote Originally Posted by RainyDayRide View Post
    She was making a way too obvious play for him.
    Yep. Mrs. Hughes sacked her, rightly pointing out that if she can't control herself this is not the job for her. They already had one maid wind up a hooker out of sheer stupidity, this one was cruising for trouble on purpose.

Which is only reasonable, and why I can't really let Thomas's previous jackwagonry slide just because he's gay and that's tough. Well, tough. Everyone has problems and more to the point, EVERYONE who's a servant gives up their personal life. The Granthams are being QUITE liberal allowing Bates and Anna to stay on. Mrs Hughes and Mrs Patmore are "Mrs" by courtesy title, remember--people making a career of service don't marry and stay in service. Thomas can't have a life? No one else can, either, unless they want to leave. (Again, Anna and Bates are a BIG exception and were originally planning to leave service when they'd saved up, and Daisy they obviously knew that "marriage" was going to be brief.) And in any case, NONE of it gives Thomas excuses for the deliberate campaign against Bates, dragging Daisy into it by using her crush on him, and his overt vicious treatment of William when William's *mother had just died*. Never mind the theft and the attempt to weasel his way into a cushy military position (though karma paid him back there.) "I'm gay and therefore unhappy" is not a get out of jail free card for behaving like a sociopath. However, he's now been paid back, a LOT, everyone knows his "secret" (how much of a secret it was, who knows, considering Mrs Patmore was trying to explain to Daisy why Thomas was not the man for her back in series 1) and he's demonstrated some degree of growth.

I don't think he's going to get a 'relationship' any more than O'Brien will go to India just because for that to work, he really couldn't stay in his job and I don't think they want to get rid of either actor. They've gone way too far over backwards to come up with ways Thomas and O'Brien DON'T get fired when they should. Besides, Thomas has worse luck with men than I do, and what are the odds ANYONE at Downton (other than maybe, hold your breath, cross your fingers, Anna and Bates) are allowed to just reach a happy place and stay there?

2 members found this post helpful.

Cool I missed OTD all day!

And I was hoping it would be open just for DA!
    My thoughts:
    Well, I knew someone was going to die, but I didn't know who, and the previews made me think it would be someone hunting with the guns. Maybe a misfire, somehow Rose would be involved? Or that evil Wilkins, tryng to out evil O'Brien? That was rich.
    I have to keep reminding myself, it is only tv, they arent real. Then I briefly thought it could be Mary, but I soon realised they culdn't lose two daughters to childbirth. I do agree, I was sure it would be a boy, and the way they kept making googly eyes at each other, gah!
    But as soon as I saw him in the car..... in fact, when Anna told Carson to take Matthew's car to the station, I was pretty sure it would be him. I am glad I knew it was coming, it would have been unbearable if I didn't.
    I too will miss his blue eyes.
    Tom is growing, and he is showing responsibility in this new job.
    I don't think Shrimpy meant they were in the chips, just that he could see what Matthew had suggested was working, and Robert if you remember, was dragged kicking and screaming along.
    Another killer of threads

When Shrimpy's wife Susan came on screen I thought she looked like Cordelia in Brideshead Revisited (the best one with Jeremy Irons starring). And it indeed is! So good to see her in something after all these years.

So that's why she looked so familiar! Good catch.

Now there's a theory to chew on! I could see that. I see an Up stairs downstairs romance eventually as well.
    Oh and was mrs pattmores grocer beau a cad in the end? I'm telling you I dozed. Oops.
    I really hope Tom and Rose don't happen. I found Rose so utterly annoying I wanted to fast forward through every scene she was in. And Tom is just so lovely... I can't imagine the thought of him being with her... especially with respect for Sybil.

3 members found this post helpful.