The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    ... maybe something will happen to Matthew (I hope not!),... but the law for inheritance will change, and Mary will be able to inherit Downton after all...
    But will he get Mary pregnant FIRST, then there would be no need to change the inheritance rules.

According to Wikipedia
    Fee tail was abolished by the Law of Property Act in England (as a legal estate) in 1925
    so another 5 years to go.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    He was standing at the alter, and heard two women discussing it, who were seated close by that he was too old for her, and he felt ridiculous.
    ....The "two old women" were the Dowager Countess and IIRC she was talking to the vicar. The Dowager was sort of hot and cold (or lukewarm and cold) on the whole matter, agreeing with Robert on principle but also sympathizing with Edith being the red-headed stepchild (so to speak) and realizing Edith was right, a whole lot of the marriageable young men were dead from the war.

Seriously, though, if I had a dollar for all the times I've seen the "He doesn't want to marry her, must be gay!" "theory", I could pay my mortgage off. There are a lot of other reasons to get cold feet, and he already has a boatload (the sense her family's not supportive, the fact he apparently did love his late wife and might feel guilty, the social stigma of being a "cripple" or married to one...)

Um...sophie, I can sorta reassure you. You're still going to get a gut punch, though.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    ....The "two old women" were the Dowager Countess and IIRC she was talking to the vicar. The Dowager was sort of hot and cold (or lukewarm and cold) on the whole matter, agreeing with Robert on principle but also sympathizing with Edith being the red-headed stepchild (so to speak) and realizing Edith was right, a whole lot of the marriageable young men were dead from the war..
    The two talking at the wedding, I thought, were the Dowager Countess [Violet] and Coras mother [Shirley Maclaine]... ??

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Seriously, though, if I had a dollar for all the times I've seen the "He doesn't want to marry her, must be gay!" "theory", I could pay my mortgage off. There are a lot of other reasons to get cold feet, and he already has a boatload (the sense her family's not supportive, the fact he apparently did love his late wife and might feel guilty, the social stigma of being a "cripple" or married to one...)

Um...sophie, I can sorta reassure you. You're still going to get a gut punch, though.
    Yes, he has plenty of reasons to not want to marry her, and I didn't mean it that way but only that from the first time I "met" his character in the series I thought he must be gay (or maybe he is in real life? Like Sheldon from BBT? haha). At that time it was not unheard of to be married as well. Again, I am probably way off.

As for the "punch"...please say no more!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    But will he get Mary pregnant FIRST, then there would be no need to change the inheritance rules.

According to Wikipedia

so another 5 years to go.
    thanks Janet - so, that might be a possiblity....

I'm still wondering what is going to happen with Ethel.

And maybe, left to their own devices, Edith and Sir Anthony might still marry....

Off to do my night barn so I can be back in, ready to watch!
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

This week's episode is starting...

Default WOW

Isis got a lot of air time tonight. I don't know anything about cricket. Did the house win? [Trying not to give anything away.]
    Another killer of threads

Dear Mods:
    Please leave OT up long enough for all the time zones to check in & discuss this week's episode.
    Thanks!

2 members found this post helpful.

I have had people from the UK and about three other Commonwealth countries attempt to explain cricket to me and...I'm still not sure what was going on there.

Thomas, why would you trust ANYTHING O'Brien said? Why? (Though I have to say, you're not foul because you're gay. The prior blackmailing, petty theft, attempt at black marketeering and repeated attempts to get Bates fired for getting the valet job, plus the constant baiting of William and yanking Daisy's chain to mess with him...that OTOH is harder to justify.)

I love how the Dowager dealt with naughty Rose. But is Edith going to fall into an affair with a married man? Looks like it according to the previews!

Darn it - why is the season so short???
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Thomas told Bates to say to O'Brien 'the bar of soap....'
    I have almost forgiven O'Brien for her misdeeds. I woudn't want to be on the wrong side of her!
    Another killer of threads

Wow, that was quite the episode!

Cricket is beyond me too. I used to live in the UK, and it would be on television, it seemed, for days. One match. Or maybe it just felt like it.

I am happy to see Ethel moving on to a happier situation. Happy to see Tom being accepted and able to show his strengths and his quality.

Edith too.

The whole Thomas/Jimmy/Alfred/O'Brien mess.
    Look what happens when you are mean and conniving....

Gaah. I can't believe next week is the last episode.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Gobsmacked at the finale of Season 3. Curses upon Mr. Fellowes.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm SO GLAD I found this thread... I am completely and utterly addicted to this show.

So has everyone watched the finale yet?! Has anyone else picked their jaws up off the floor yet....

I am not happy. I know the actor was leaving but jeez, couldn't one baby have both parents survive more than 20 minutes?

I am glad that housemaid was sacked - I did not like where it looked like they were taking Tom's storyline for a minute.

I still love the show but I do wish it would stop breaking my heart.

Oh, and I need a new cat to name Mrs. Patmore.

Just my random thoughts after last night.

I don't know how but can someone add spoiler alert to the title of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    I am not happy. I know the actor was leaving but jeez, couldn't one baby have both parents survive more than 20 minutes?

I am glad that housemaid was sacked - I did not like where it looked like they were taking Tom's storyline for a minute.

I still love the show but I do wish it would stop breaking my heart.

Oh, and I need a new cat to name Mrs. Patmore.

Just my random thoughts after last night.
    My thoughts exactly! I agree with you... I know he was leaving so I'm not really sure what else they could have done... but the way they depicted his death was just plain merciless.

I almost would have rathered they killed him off over the hiatus and opened with his funeral or something. Let the viewers fill in some happy family time for Matthew and Mary with their imagination. This exit was just so cruel and obvious really. I didn't know he was leaving but as soon as I saw him driving, I knew he was toast.

4 members found this post helpful.

lcw....
    "I still love the show but I do wish it would stop breaking my heart."

I feel exactly the same way.

And, oh, my gosh, after last night. Maybe I can't hack watching Downton. Sybil nearly did me in, and with this final episode/Season 3, I was... well, I had to come find some 'people' to talk to about it. It is heartbreak for these lovely, caring people, who work hard to do it right.

When I saw Matthew driving joyously through the woods, and the music was calm, I thought he had a chance. But, it was awful, awful.

3 members found this post helpful.

Am I the only one that wanted Mrs. Crawley to encourage the Doctor? I really enjoyed their awkward "courting" scenes.