The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cagey22 View Post
    Wait! Please tell me you've all seen this and there are in fact 2 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5dMlXentLw

I love Downton Abbey BTW, but this made me laugh so much.
    Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3YYo_5rxFE
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    I think he knew he was too old for her and he didn't want Edith wasting her life taking care of him. There was a scene earlier in that episode where they were talking about that, and Edith was all like "its ok, I want to take care of you." Still, jilting her at the alter was pretty crappy.

Does anyone else think that's there is a serious dark side to Bates?
    I do think there is a serious dark side to Bates, which helps to make him a more interesting character. If he were just noble and stoic all the time, he would be a huge pain in the butt.

Back to Edith and Sir Anthony, Edith knows that too, but as she told Robert, most of the young men of her generation were lost in the war - there aren't a lot of suitable young men around, and Edith isn't the beauty that both Mary and Sybil are.
    And she did seem to love Sir Anthony. Plus, lots of women marry older men.
    If she doesn't marry, her prospects (as she has alluded to) look like being the spinster daughter who lives with her parents and takes care of them...
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    yup we know all that, but we were still glad to see her go. By we I refer to the three of us that were happy to see her go, lol.
    LOL NRB.

I am one of the masses who absolutely loved Sybil from the beginning, and I thought she did move the plot (and the background of social change) forward.
    I loved that she was so kind and brave, quite fearless in fact to break out of the mold and strictures of life in as a young woman of her class.*
    She was kind to the maid who wanted to move out of service, she worked as a nurse, wanted to learn to cook, she was interested in politics and thought about the world outside of what she was going to wear to lunch.
    Unlike Mary, who is completely self-obscessed.

I am worried about who is going to leave Downton feet first next, and have heard rumblings that it might be Matthew or Maggie Smith....

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo7777 View Post
    I'm completely sucked in and find myself giving advice out loud to characters on the screen. My husband just looks at me. I'm already sad that season three is winding down, and we'll have wait a year for the next one!
    Me too, mojo.
    My husband is used to me however, but he does have to remind me that "these are just actors, plot devices..." when I am upset about someone dying, offering advice, or yelling (mostly at Daisy whom I find unbearably stupid).

1 members found this post helpful.

Fred, I find myself wanting to give Daisy a good shake at least once or twice an episode. Thank God Mrs. Patmore is there to do it for me!

Mary is growing on me. Somehow, I don't find her as insufferable as I did at first. Matthew has been good for her.

I really hope Edith finds some happiness. I could have killed that old goat for leaving her at the altar - even though it was the right thing to do.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! this series! Character development is phenomenal, and I adore Maggie Smith!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    I had toxemia and pre-eclampsia with my son back in 1986 - almost died. Had grand mal seizures and required an emergency cesarean. Was interesting to see the character go through that onscreen.

I think there's only one way a character leaves DA if they decide to pursue movies ... feet first. No coming back as the long-lost twin. No spoiler alert, but if you've read another major actor is leaving, another funeral's coming. Can't blame producer Julian Fellowes. Keeps the cast in line.
    Lol, BOTH actors asked to leave, so I doubt it's about scaring them. UK shows, actors tend to go sooner than they would on American shows. (Unless it was Last of the Summer Wine and then the only way most left was feet first...the actors, not the characters.) And some characters, if they really want to shoot, timeline-wise, for World War II, are going to HAVE to leave "feet first", realistically. Just not the ones they've been offing so far!

You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

I give major props to his actor for making me alternately want to beat him and sympathize with him.
    omg I know. I alternate between urging Lord Grantham to fire him and feeling kind of sorry for him. He is very good at being bad.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    They also spoofed Upstairs Downstairs many years ago!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Lol, BOTH actors asked to leave, so I doubt it's about scaring them. UK shows, actors tend to go sooner than they would on American shows. (Unless it was Last of the Summer Wine and then the only way most left was feet first...the actors, not the characters.) And some characters, if they really want to shoot, timeline-wise, for World War II, are going to HAVE to leave "feet first", realistically. Just not the ones they've been offing so far!
    I know who leaves "feet first" next and I'm really unhappy about it... should never have read the stupid spoilers!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo7777 View Post
    I keep thinking, why doesn't the new footman just tell Thomas he's not interested, rather than suffer in silence.
    Well for one O'Brien has threatened him that Thomas has the Earls ear as his valet and could get him fired [which I am sure you know]. While she eggs Thomas on re: the footman. She is setting up some fireworks show, for sure.

But, I also don't think the new footman knows Thomas is gay, I think he thinks Thomas is just a touchy-feely sort and that's all.

Actually, I don't think Daisy knows either,... still.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Well for one O'Brien has threatened him that Thomas has the Earls ear as his valet and could get him fired [which I am sure you know]. While she eggs Thomas on re: the footman. She is setting up some fireworks show, for sure.

But, I also don't think the new footman knows Thomas is gay, I think he thinks Thomas is just a touchy-feely sort and that's all.

Actually, I don't think Daisy knows either,... still.
    I found myself almost liking Thomas in Season 2, when the blind soldier he'd cared for and befriended committed suicide; Thomas reacted with genuine tears. He is definitely a complex character.

Thomas is a great character--he's so vile and awful at some points, but at the same time, he's a smart and ambitious guy who's limited to a life in service, and he's got just about zero chance of having any romance in his life due to homosexuality being so repressed and verboten at the time. He genuinely does have a heart somewhere down deep inside, but he's so messed up that it's hard to access.

Sybil was great on paper, but I just never really emotionally connected to her. She was just too static--all the rebellion was nice for gender and class commentary and all, but she never developed into anything more complex. Didn't stop me from bawling my eyes out for the entire death episode.

If the Dowager kicks the bucket I am going to go homicidal.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I found myself almost liking Thomas in Season 2, when the blind soldier he'd cared for and befriended committed suicide; Thomas reacted with genuine tears. He is definitely a complex character.
    Well, no one gets the way they are in a vacuum, if you know what I mean.
    Being gay in that time [and before, and heck, since] must have been incredibly hard... I wish they would delve a bit deeper into that.
    I think if they gave us some back story that made those 'I see moments of humanity in him' stronger, he would be an even more attractive villain.
    In a way, Thomas thinks he's a smarty conniver like O'Brien... remember hiding Isis? DOH! But he's not as smart as he thinks he is... and/or doesn't think it through, and WHAM! It bites him in the heiney.

And how did O'Brien get to be the way she is? Background on her would be interesting as well.

Just caught up last night. I would say that Season 3 episode 5 (6 in the UK) is the "Lord Grantham loses his sh*t" episode. He's truly... ridiculous. I do have some sympathy for him, though, as he's hardly the brightest bulb in the package, his world is getting turned upside down, and he's *just* starting to see that acting the authoritarian paterfamilias (however kindhearted) just doesn't work anymore. It would have been perfect for him if he'd died before WWI, secure in the knowledge that the Victorian/Edwardian approach was the Right Way Always. For g-d's sake, his *mother* is the epitome of a Victorian matriarch, and she's more adaptable than he is!
    Last edited by quietann; Feb. 5, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Did anyone watch the special on the "real" Downton Abby - Highclere Castle?

They interviewed the current Lord and Lady - all I can say is that guy should buy a pair of nose hair trimmers immediately! OMG!!

As most of us addicts know, the series is based on Lord Carnarvan - the backer behind Howard Carters discovery of King Tut's tomb. i hope they work that into the series!

Love love love Maggie Smith! My favorite line from her is from season 1 when Matthew says that he will get to know the runnings of the estate on the weekend and she asks "what is a weekend?" Classic line to make the point that one group of people had no idea how many others lived!

I do not think the Granthams are based on the Carnarvons- just the house.

At this time Lord Carnarvon wasn't just failing to manage the estate effectively, he was spending money hand over fist on fast cars, fast horses, and digs in Egypt.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

3 members found this post helpful.

I too have read who else leaves this season. It is pretty shocking But from what I've read it ties up story lines well.

Hmmm. I loved this series in the early days because I thought it touched on some aspects of British history that aren't often highlighted, and it did so with a degree of nuance and complexity.

I won't spoil it for anyone, but sadly, this year's Christmas Special really took it from historical drama to complete over-the-top American-style soap opera. I believe the phrase "jumped the shark" is apt.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.