The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I told hubby I didn't want to start Season 3 til I'd seen the others so we no joke watched the other seasons back to back in a week long marathon. I think we watched 7 hours of it one Sunday so we'd be up to speed for the start of Season 3. LOL

We love it. Haven't seen last night's yet due to Super Bowl party, but we'll watch it tonight.

Really enjoy it.

The Bates thing is annoying. He's more about what he "doesn't say/do" than what he does. I find it intriguing, but let's get on with it already. Why does everyone seem to hate him?

Sybil's death sucked. She was such a shining light in the family. It's nice to see Mary more vulnerable and human.

O'Brien too.

Thomas just sucks and I can't wait for him to get nailed to the wall.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I just adore the Dowager Countess. Says her mind and keeps everyone in line!

I wasn't too sad when they killed off Sybil... I liked her, but she wasn't a huge part of the show anymore.

I'm enjoying the full on war between O'Brian and Thomas... feel bad the poor footman is stuck in the middle, though.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Cora starting to get to me a bit..she has to branch out in her facial expressions a bit..the pinched smile is getting to be a bit annoying!
    thank you, that's what I meant... she is getting to me too.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have already seen all of Season 3 (pre-ordered the bluray and got it last week).... can't wait for it to catch up here as I really want to talk about it!!!!! Well, beyond the most recent episodes.

I love this series and have watched Season 1 and 2 (which I also have on bluray) over and over again. Hubby thinks I'm obsessed. Who, me????

I just watched the entire series starting on late Friday night after I watched the remainder of the Season 3 episodes. Just finished it last night. Was an icky weekend here so nothing else to do!

I've officially joined the club You guys clued me in to watch this series some OT day I guess a year ago - I got seasons 1 & 2 on Netflix & got properly addicted

Now I've been missing bits & pieces of Season 3 - you surprised me with some news - but I'm the kind that likes to know what is coming up & you inspired me to catch up!

My special love is Mary - something so classy about her, I catch myself trying to carry myself & speak like she does LOL. But I adore them all, even the evil ones!

I still like it, too. Was sad to see Sybil go, I really liked her character, and Tom's. I hope we keep seeing him.

O'Brien and Thomas are so...machiavelic. I love to hate them!

Hubby is as obsessed as I am so we were able to watch it last night despite the Superbowl, which he doesn't care much for anyway.

Cora was always annoying to me, from the start. Love Cora's mother tho, and her interaction with the Dowager. That was fun to watch! Hopefully she'll come back in the picture.

I'm perfectly happy seeing one episode a week, because on the side, we've been watching a lot of great series: The Killing (the US version, which I'm told is not as good as the Danish one, but which I loved), Spiral (French original series, very dark, can't wait for next season), Kurt Wallander, The Borgia...so many choices, so little time!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

My only complaint with last nights season 3 premiere was that PBS shows 2 hours in a row. And it's almost more than I can take in one night!

I'm glad they killed someone off. Even if did seem like a fairly awful way to die. And it leaves her hubby in such a pickle.

The Dowager Countess rocks. Even though I am not happy she made the nice, local doctor eat crow for everyone else's sake.

Ooohh gay people!! That's gotta end up in a righteous mess. Although, they seem to be taking a bit of a stand on letting the 'prostitute' achieve redemption... But I have a hard time imaging that 2 guys together in this situation is going to lead to anything but tragedy. We'll see.

I feel sorry for dear old dad. Apparently he's an idiot who's done a shit job of running the (financial) place and run through the last of the family fortune.

love the Dowager and Thomas. The cook and O'Brian a pretty crafty gal.

Am glad they offed Sybil her character/actress offered nothing. Her storyline was good (and true to the original story of the house) BUT she carried it so ineptly so was a relief to have her gone. Sweet thing though. lol. But really her "love" of the chauffeur was terribly unrealistic.... The scene when she's in the garage with TOm. She's like we'll your my ticket out of there... ok you can kiss me....

Bates is interesting.... I mean he's a good guy AND a bad guy al wrapped up in one.

Maggie Smith really does eat up the screen, and her Dowager Countess is such an engaging character.
    I LOVED the scene at Mrs Crawley's house, where they all stood up to Robert, and in doing so supported Mrs Crawley and Ethel.
    I loved the Dowager's line: "it seems a shame to waste such a good pudding".
    I loathe the father of the soldier she slept with, and can only wish he dies- soon- as this enables Ethel to be a part of her son's life.
    It also fills me with righteous indignation!! that Ethel is ruined by sleeping with that jerk, but no one blames him.
    I know 'man's world' etc - but I hate the way she is treated, and love the kindness of Mrs Crawley towards her.

Mary has been to the doctor, and the subject of her getting pregnant keeps coming up, with her looking away.... and then it seemed a particularly poignant moment when Tom handed her baby Sybil.

I am hoping they don't kill Tom off in order to give the baby to Matthew and Mary....
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I keep thinking, why doesn't the new footman just tell Thomas he's not interested, rather than suffer in silence. I'm completely sucked in and find myself giving advice out loud to characters on the screen. My husband just looks at me. I'm already sad that season three is winding down, and we'll have wait a year for the next one!
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by RunningwaterWBs View Post
    If you haven't seen this, get ready for a giggle -- provided, that is, you have a sense of humor. Make sure to navigate to the next episode when you get to the bottom. They've done four episodes of season 3 so far:
    http://www.happyplace.com/20382/dowt...facebook-recap
    This is the best thing in the history of forever.

3 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone know why Sir Anthony jilted Edith at the altar? He called her "my darling' and then did a bunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    This is the best thing in the history of forever.
    loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Does anyone know why Sir Anthony jilted Edith at the altar? He called her "my darling' and then did a bunk.
    I think he knew he was too old for her and he didn't want Edith wasting her life taking care of him. There was a scene earlier in that episode where they were talking about that, and Edith was all like "its ok, I want to take care of you." Still, jilting her at the alter was pretty crappy.

Does anyone else think that's there is a serious dark side to Bates?

Wait! Please tell me you've all seen this and there are in fact 2 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5dMlXentLw

I love Downton Abbey BTW, but this made me laugh so much.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Clearly Mrs. Patmore could teach him a thing or to. Heck, if more people listened to her they'd have fewer problems
    OMG, yes. I adore Mrs. Patmore!

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    M

The Dowager Countess rocks. Even though I am not happy she made the nice, local doctor eat crow for everyone else's sake.
    THANK you. Another board I frequent, they're arguing that it's only fair because there was such a slim chance. I say let Cora and Robert work it out, or not. They're another Anglo-American money match, it's amazing they lasted that long.

Ooohh gay people!! That's gotta end up in a righteous mess. Although, they seem to be taking a bit of a stand on letting the 'prostitute' achieve redemption... But I have a hard time imaging that 2 guys together in this situation is going to lead to anything but tragedy. We'll see.
    Gay "person", singular. And Thomas has a worse track record with men than I do, plus he fails at subtle. EPIC FAIL. I give major props to his actor for making me alternately want to beat him and sympathize with him.

NRB--I have to laugh, they killed off Sybil because her actress has a movie career taking off and she wanted to focus on that.

[QUOTE=danceronice;6816929
    NRB--I have to laugh, they killed off Sybil because her actress has a movie career taking off and she wanted to focus on that.[/QUOTE]

yup we know all that, but we were still glad to see her go. By we I refer to the three of us that were happy to see her go, lol.

Another fan here. I'm probably more innocently positive toward the various characters and all the melodrama, though.

(And BTW -- from knowing a bit about high risk obstetrics since I work for a bunch of high risk OBs -- eclampsia can still be fatal. It was a very realistic portrayal of a death from it at that time... The treatment, IV magnesium sulfate (same stuff that might have killed that poor pony BTW) works most of the time, but carries its own risks and is pretty brutal, and was just barely starting to be used in the 1920s. I am sure the OBs I work for had to deal with a few panicky patients last week!)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I had toxemia and pre-eclampsia with my son back in 1986 - almost died. Had grand mal seizures and required an emergency cesarean. Was interesting to see the character go through that onscreen.

I think there's only one way a character leaves DA if they decide to pursue movies ... feet first. No coming back as the long-lost twin. No spoiler alert, but if you've read another major actor is leaving, another funeral's coming. Can't blame producer Julian Fellowes. Keeps the cast in line.