The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Downton Abbey Addicts?

Well, Season Three is underway here in North America. My friends in the UK and Ireland have been good about not giving away what happens.

I am verklempft about Sybil dying. I knew it was going to happen from a previous OTD thread, and had to keep reminding myself she is a 'character', the actress was leaving, and they HAD to write her out.
    Even so,it was very sad.
    But, the plot continues to thicken..
    What will happen with Tom?
    the baby?
    can Mary get pregnant?
    who is going to die next?
    Does Bates get out of prison?
    Is Thomas going to get sacked for his attraction to young James?
    Will that stupid girl leave the kitchen for the farm?

Sigh.
    Anyone else?
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Missed last nights episode (dang freakball)... Will watch it Thursday night:-(

Very sad about Sybil :-(

2 members found this post helpful.

Last night's episode was excellent CS.
    It had one of my favourite scenes EVER! (but I won't spoil it for you)
    I think the PBS we get here in Canada (Boston) reruns DA on Tuesday as well.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Love the show. I have seen all of season 3 since my sister sent me the link to watch it on the computer.

My friend wants to watch it the traditional way so I have to have her describe what happens before we can discuss it. I can never remember what all happened in what episode.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I'm really not feeling it this season like I did the previous seasons. Now I kind of feel like they are trying too hard to keep people interested, but I get like this with lots of shows. Love it for a season or 2, then I'm done with it.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

The one thing that is sort of starting to bother me - the characters are not aging at all. It's been 8 years since the start, 1912-1920.

Other than that, I'm still hooked.

How do you guys have the PATIENCE to wait?!? I've already seen all of Season 3, got it episode by episode as it aired in the UK. And the Christmas special!

Love the show. I couldn't believe they killed Sybil off either. Was it really because the actress wanted to leave? Wish they had just sent them back to Ireland and left the door open for her return.

Looks like Mr. Bates gets home next week. Thank goodness - I really didn't like that subplot.

I also hope that Daisy takes the farm.

1 members found this post helpful.

Downton still has moments of greatness, but this season is really beyond the pale to me, and I've seen all of the episodes. It is SO melodramatic and over the top, and the whole Bates storyline is beyond tedious. I love the actors but I'm afraid it's turning into the soap opera we pretended it wasn't when it was first on.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, I know all the spoilers, so I wasn't surprised much, but man, I wanted to slap Sir Harley Street Physician (and I'm moderately annoyed with the Dowager getting Dr. Clarkson to take the fall just to patch things up.) Liked Mary this episode--she might defend her father to Matthew but in private she doesn't hesitate to tell him when he's wrong.

And I do hope Daisy takes the farm, and Alfred not only wises up but grows a spine and looks into cooking, no matter how many red-faced old women (to quote O'Brien) he has to work under. Clearly Mrs. Patmore could teach him a thing or to. Heck, if more people listened to her they'd have fewer problems ("You're all in love with the wrong people!" indeed. Even back in S1, she was TRYING to tell Daisy Thomas was not worth her time--"He's not like other men. He's not a ladies' man!" Are she and O'Brien the only ones who boarded the clue train there?)

I love it too! Super what? I watched DA, and have looked everywhere for Clydesdale commercial can't find it.
    Back to DA. I agree I don't like the subplot with Bates in prison. I am LOVING the quiet war between the creepy gay valet whose name I cannot even remember at the moment, and O'Brien. I didn't care so much for season two, but this season has been terrific. Conflict between Robert and Matthew, with Mary in the middle, and all the hubbub downstairs. Yes it is terrific.
    Another killer of threads

3 members found this post helpful.

I still love the show, too. Rob James-Collier is really doing Thomas, the creepy valet well, just hope he doesn't meet the same bad end he did in his last series; too bad he wears greasy kids' stuff in his hair because he is much better looking with his normal hair.

I like the Bates storyline for some reason. It makes no sense to the rest of the story but I like it. I do see some angst coming for both upstairs and downstairs when Bates returns. Carson is going to be apoplectic with the combination of jailbird and ex-prostitute on staff at both households.

I now get a wonderful addition to Downton Abbey - Knowledge Network from British Columbia runs Monarch of the Glen which shows another talent of Julian Fellowes. Fellowes is also a very good actor and he really shines as Kilwillie, a fairly pompous and inept lord.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post

I like the Bates storyline for some reason. It makes no sense to the rest of the story but I like it. I do see some angst coming for both upstairs and downstairs when Bates returns. Carson is going to be apoplectic with the combination of jailbird and ex-prostitute on staff at both households..
    Only if he's done a 180 personality change regarding Bates--he and pretty much the whole staff (even Thomas and O'Brien) all think Bates was innocent and wrongly imprisoned, at least those who knew him. Thomas's only problem will be keeping his job, though I can see Bates actually being generous there and insisting himself on not bulling his way back in. Even he and O'Brien felt guilty when the whole thing went down, especially O'Brien as her testimony helped the prosecution (mostly because Bates' s lawyers were downright inept in prepping her, Mrs. Hughs, and his lordship as witnesses...) OTOH, Carson knows why Ethel was fired in the first place and the mess she caused, so while he's being overly unreasonable, he doesn't really have much evidence of Ethel's good character to go on, while with Bates he always figured he was innocent.

I don't get why the other guy in prison with Bates has it in for him so badly. Can someone enlighten me?
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

We got the DVD's of series three, so we already watched the whole thing. I got addicted just after Christmas, and thankfully we had series one and two on DVD already so I flew right through them!

To answer an earlier question regarding Sybil, yes, the actress who portrayed her wanted to leave the show. I thought that too about sending her away, and I won't say my theory right now about why I don't think they did that because it will give too much away.

Anybody else watching closely the horses in this series?
    I liked the foxhunt in the first series and do watch for
    the carriages in series 3 (I don't think that gives anything
    away). I hope there will be more equestrian scenes in
    the 4th series.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I also got the link to watch Season 3 on line and went through it in two or three days. I still watch it every Sunday.
    I love Bates and Anna. I have moments when I do not like Mary at all and I have started not to like Cora so much. She is too "soft" at times.. I can't explain it, but her "smile" gets to me. I love the Dowager!
    Thomas... I like him better by the end of Season 3, but I cannot stand O'brien.

...if you have not had enough of Maggie Smith, you should go see her in 'Quartet' - it is more for oldies, and the theatre was packed with the white haired lot, but it is unusual when an audience claps after a show, and I've not met anybody who did not ike it, yet.

I, too, wonder what the significance of Bates' cellmate is - it's kind of creepy.
    I thought the letters being delivered en masse was very sad. Can imagine what they wee thinking before they got them.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

If you haven't seen this, get ready for a giggle -- provided, that is, you have a sense of humor. Make sure to navigate to the next episode when you get to the bottom. They've done four episodes of season 3 so far:
    http://www.happyplace.com/20382/dowt...facebook-recap
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

4 members found this post helpful.

Serioulsy addicted here. I have no time to sit and watch while it is on and my kids keep buggering up my PVR selections so I have just bought the DVD's at Costco and watched them by myself late at night when everyone else is in bed. My home internet is painfully slow so this works for me.

Watched season 1 and 2 around Christmas and New Year and just bought Season 3. Friends at work spilled the beans about Sybil!

Cannot tear my eyes away from Maggie Smith, that woman just eats up the screen, doesn't she? Cora starting to get to me a bit..she has to branch out in her facial expressions a bit..the pinched smile is getting to be a bit annoying!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.