The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default older folks with gray hair

How the heck do you keep the frizz out! I mean, really. I've tried different shampoos, conditioners, hair stuff. I've used Morocan oil which does help. I really don't want to color my hair and at this time its a cost I don't need.

I see other older folks with smooth gray hair and I would appreciate any advice. I know it's probably 60% genetic, but I would love the tame the 40% Albert Einstein look.

So, what product have you had good luck with?

Oh, I know this pain well. I finally gave in and went with a short pixie cut. That, at least, doesn't emphasize the frizz like my longer hair did. For special times, it's easy to blow dry and smooth out a bit. One other thing that helped my hair was conditioning it every single time I washed, which I never had to do when I was younger. I don't know if the kind of conditioner makes a difference but, I use Hydrolage's Hydrating Balm Conditioner with some success.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I use a very basic 2 in 1 shampoo conditioner and lightly blow dry and it does great, get many compliments.

Most supermarkets carry it, in a dark navy bottle, called Finesse.
    I tried all kinds of fancy ones and for me, that one works best.

One problem for my gray hair is that some is thick and curly, some thin and flat and it is hard to get all under control.

Won't hurt to try that one, if you are not having any luck with others.

Gray hair + pixie cut = so cute!!! That is totally what I am going to do when it gets to that point.

I am in my early 30's but have a lot of gray.... still luckier than my sister who went nearly all gray at 20. Our hair is thick and frizzy to begin with and the grays are very wiry. (I box color but it doesn't help the frizziness.)

I use the moraccan oil too. Lately I have found a new product, Garnier Triple Nutrition Spray. It's like $4 at Target. It's less greasy than the moroccan oil. My hair just soaks it right up and doesn't look oily.

Also maybe this is old news to everyone else but I finally realized that rotating products helps a lot. Ever try a new shampoo/conditioner and you're like 'omg this is amazing' only to find your hair kind of gets crummy again after a while? Now I rotate every few weeks between shampoo/cond.

Also occassionally doing the weird home treatments like slathering mayo or olive oil on your hair does help too.

btw, coloring at the salon is expensive but I have had good results with Nice and Easy. And I have tried every box color out there; my hair is resistant to taking color (especially the grays) and they would be showing again in a week.

not so with the Nice and Easy. It is stinky, but it sticks to the grays and a lasts a long time. They also include a huge bottle of really good conditioner to use weekly until the next color and it really does last 8+ weeks. And it's about $8. I just get a dark brown similar to my natural color and it looks natural.

I've had the best luck with limited use of shampoo (only twice a week; the rest of the time is water + conditioner only), the use of shampoos / conditioners that have no simethecone or dimethicone amongst the ingredients (very drying, even though they make your hair feel smooth), and use of a really good oil-type styling aid. Add in a good hair cut and my hair stays fairly well-behaved ... of course all bets are off in the winter, when the dry air and almost constant wearing of a stocking cap ruins everything.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Hair dresser checking in! Yes, it's mostly genetics, but there are a few things you can do to help. Most gray hair is much coarser than your natural hair, which is why it gets frizzy. Those few lucky ladies who have smooth, silvery fine gray hairs, well...they suck As far as color/treatments go, if you don't want to actually change the color and deal with maintaining roots, try a clear, or a "gloss". It's basically hair color, without the color on it. It just makes it super soft and smooth, like coloring would do, but it doesn't put any pigments in your hair.

As far as shampoo, I would recommend using a seperate shampoo AND conditioner, every time. They are designed to work together; shampoo opens up your hair cuticle, and strips all the oils/moisture/gunk out of your hair. Conditioner goes back in and smooths the hair cuticle back down, making your hair softer, and puts moisture back in it. So if you skip comditioner, your hair is going to be ultra stripped out/dry feeling. This also makes me question how well 2 in 1's work

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    Hair dresser checking in! Yes, it's mostly genetics, but there are a few things you can do to help. Most gray hair is much coarser than your natural hair, which is why it gets frizzy. Those few lucky ladies who have smooth, silvery fine gray hairs, well...they suck As far as color/treatments go, if you don't want to actually change the color and deal with maintaining roots, try a clear, or a "gloss". It's basically hair color, without the color on it. It just makes it super soft and smooth, like coloring would do, but it doesn't put any pigments in your hair.

As far as shampoo, I would recommend using a seperate shampoo AND conditioner, every time. They are designed to work together; shampoo opens up your hair cuticle, and strips all the oils/moisture/gunk out of your hair. Conditioner goes back in and smooths the hair cuticle back down, making your hair softer, and puts moisture back in it. So if you skip comditioner, your hair is going to be ultra stripped out/dry feeling. This also makes me question how well 2 in 1's work

Good luck!
    I know, 2 in 1 don't make sense, but if it works ...
    A good friend is a beautician and she too questioned if it works, but she tells me my hair looks wonderful, so for me, it does.

I have tried so many others and combinations over the years and somehow, that one brand of 2 in 1 is way above the others.
    It also comes in separated bottles in a light blue color, but it does the same as the 2 n 1, so that is what I get, easier to use.
    I think it also works for many other people, as it flies off the shelves, they have to keep filling up from that brand, they tell me.

I have been using that one on and off for years now, when I can get it.
    I wonder if our very hard water has something to do with how any one shampoo may work for us, compared with other water types.

Then, everyone's hair is a bit different, that is why different products work for different heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I know, 2 in 1 don't make sense, but if it works ...
    A good friend is a beautician and she too questioned if it works, but she tells me my hair looks wonderful, so for me, it does.

I have tried so many others and combinations over the years and somehow, that one brand of 2 in 1 is way above the others.
    It also comes in separated bottles in a light blue color, but it does the same as the 2 n 1, so that is what I get, easier to use.
    I think it also works for many other people, as it flies off the shelves, they have to keep filling up from that brand, they tell me.

I have been using that one on and off for years now, when I can get it.
    I wonder if our very hard water has something to do with how any one shampoo may work for us, compared with other water types.

Then, everyone's hair is a bit different, that is why different products work for different heads.
    Very true! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I have a few clients that use C R A P at home, stuff I would never ever be ok with them using. But their hair, for whatever reason, loves it. Always looks great and feels healthy. So go for it

I have long hair and enough gray to look roan. Unfortunately, the gray hair is as fine and board straight as the rest of it. I also use a shampoo + conditioner although I know it shouldn't work but it is the best thing I have used in a long time; I tried it out of desperation when Clairol quit making the Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner for long hair. I really miss that conditioner, was like Show Sheen for humans - the baby fine hair I have tends to mat like a long haired cat's coat will. And it's all genetics.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

HAve you tried the anti frizz serums out there? You jyst have to be careful because some can be super heavy.

I also use Rusk deep shine oil. That stuff is fantastic. I tried Argan Oil and it didn't do squat.
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Anybody got any tips for helping grey hair hold colour! Doesn't matter which brand I try (salon or off the shelf) those darn greys are showing after less than 2 weeks. It's always right at the base of the hair, by my scalp and no matter what shampoo I try the colour just won't last. My hair isn't all over grey, just at the roots and my hair is dark brown so of couse it shows up right away!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

eclipse,
    I can't tell if you are being serious or not. If you solve that issue, you'll make a fortune

My hair has always been thick and frizzy, the grey only makes it worse.
    I have had good luck using sulfate free products and avoiding heat styling.

I wash and condition (or sometimes just condition) my hair, towel dry it apply some leave-in conditioner or gel and then do a loose sock bun until it is completely dry. When I take the sock bun out I have soft, controlled, wavy curls.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    eclipse,
    I can't tell if you are being serious or not. If you solve that issue, you'll make a fortune

My hair has always been thick and frizzy, the grey only makes it worse.
    I have had good luck using sulfate free products and avoiding heat styling.

I wash and condition (or sometimes just condition) my hair, towel dry it apply some leave-in conditioner or gel and then do a loose sock bun until it is completely dry. When I take the sock bun out I have soft, controlled, wavy curls.
    Sadly I am being serious.......even down to only washing every 3 or 4 days......that damn grey still shows after less than 2 weeks and my wallet doesn't want to keep paying anymore hahahahahaha
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

The good news is your hair grows fast. The bad news is your hair grows fast.

That is called regrowth. It is just your hair growing.
    I think there are pencils that you can use for touch up, I just pull my hair back.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

The best use for 2 in one shampoos (Pert +) is on your horse.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    The good news is your hair grows fast. The bad news is your hair grows fast.

That is called regrowth. It is just your hair growing.
    I think there are pencils that you can use for touch up, I just pull my hair back.
    Yep

As far as grays being stubborn and not holding color, make sure (if you DIY) you buy permanent, not semi-permanent. Semi wont cover grays very well, it more just blends them. If you go to a salon, ask your stylist about drops you can add to color (there are different brands) for SUPER resistant grays.

What about investing in a straightener? It would smooth the cuticle and assuming you don't wash every day, would last a few days.

I've been intrigued by this product as well, might be worth looking into.
    http://www.johnfrieda.com/en-US/Prod...-Styling-Spray

1 members found this post helpful.

I've found the best luck with covering greys on my hair is to leave it on extra long-first root covering for 30 minutes, then 10 for the rest, and rinse thoroughly with warm water, not scalding. I used to use Nice 'n Easy, but the smell killed my nose. I then changed to Color Silk, then they discontinued that, so I went to Color Stay. That didn't seem to last on my hair, even with the extra time for resistant grays. I switched to L'Oreal, and even though it's a little whiffy, it works for me. I think you just need to try different brands, follow the directions exactly (don't ask how I found that out), and then try different shades if you find a brand that works well and lasts. I did have to switch shades when I changed brands, but that wasn't too bad.

Using a timer exactly is good also, or it ends up a color you never wanted, and I won't tell you how I found that out either.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White