The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone have a Sleep Number bed?

I need a new bed and my chiropractor told me to check out Sleep Number beds. Anyone have one, and how do you like it?

Not sure what kind of issues you have but I've found sleeping with a body pillow has done wonders for me. I also like a softer bed so I do like some sort of topper on my mattress even if it is just a thinner piece of memory foam or down topper. I've slept on a sleep number before and wasn't impressed. Try a body pillow while lying on your side put part between your knees, then I usually "hug" it, and then put my head at the top if that makes sense.

Have one and like it...some days I like it firmer than others. Got the hard plastic type box spring thingie that comes with it and the mattress shifts a lot. Wish I had kept the old box spring. It was less than a year....we were replacing a new
    piece of junk Serta that neither Penneys or Serta would stand behind. DH likes
    his side soft so this way we each get what we want. Bought a mid-priced set
    but a little more topping might be nice (the more topping, the more $).

It's lightweight and easy to lift when changing dust ruffles.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

I have one and love it. My DH's sleep number an 80 and mine is a 25--so it was a great solution for us.

I have something simular called a Comfortaire ( came out before less marketing) mattress, less $$ and you can the controls by 1's instead be 5's. I love it. Guess I've had it for about 10yrs now, the only thing I would change on it if give the chance I would have bought a box spring instead of just putting it my old waterbed frame. With tax return getting box spring...
    Friend of bar .ka

We had one that stopped working after 6 months. Company did not stand behind it. It is now in a landfill somewhere. Now have a tempurpedic. He likes it, I find it too hard.

LOVE ours. It's 2+ yrs old and works fine.

We have two, my mother has one. They are all between 10-15 years old. The only problem we ever had was when one controller stopped working (after 10 years), and they sent us a new one for free.
    I love mine and have trouble sleeping on anything else. Our other one is in the guest bedroom and guests seem to really like it - enough that they tell me about it without me asking.
    I really want the new one with the cool fabric tech, but there's nothing wrong with ours. Sometimes I wish one would break.
    You are what you dare.

I have one, I loved it for a while, and now I don't. I'm not sure why. I am happier now that I put a memory foam topper on it. I have had it for 4-5 years I think and had no problems with it.

Best money we ever spent. 13 years and still as nice as the day we got it.

I'm a 35 - 50. Mr. C'mare is a steady 75

Light weight, so changing sheets on a king is easy.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Had one. Hated it. I was a 70, husband was a 35. The difference in numbers left a "cliff" in the middle of the bed. It was fine if we stayed on our own sides, but make it nearly impossible to comfortably get close. We stayed on one at a Radisson hotel this weekend and I was reminded of just how awful it was when we owned one.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I just bought a Habitat Furnishings Arise air bed about a month ago (got very high online reviews and was considerably cheaper than Sleep Number). I'm still on the fence. I think now I should have gone for the Ascend model (which is more $$) because it is softer. Both my husband and I have it set at pretty much the lowest setting, but I still feel like it is too firm! For about a week, my back hurt less, but its back to hurting again. I can safely say, though, that I no longer wake up in the middle of the night due to severe back pain, so maybe it'll just take more time. The other nice thing about the Habitat beds is that there's a YEAR-long no-questions-asked return policy. I actually was planning to call them today to see what I can do about making it softer. I already added a 2-in layer of memory foam (3-in made it even firmer).
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Default How are these working out for you guys?

DH and I have had one for just under 2 years. This is the second one he's had.
    We are kind of disappointed in the wear condition. It is really "soggy" - dips way down and not just in the middle between the two halves of the std king.
    I think it is like a marshmallow.
    The air sections are working fine, not leaking or doing something odd, but even pumped up to 100, just don't firm it up.
    We have had the company send us replacement foam sections (didn't help) and now they sent us a different foam insert to use UNDER the air sections.
    I'm thinking we will have to try ditching the memory and maybe other foam parts that are near the top level of the bed.
    Reading on the forum, the experiences folks have seem to vary all over the place.
    Let me know if you have succeeded in correcting any of this "soggy" condition or have any tips on these!

We have one. My husband loves it. I do not. I feel I sink towards the center, and no matter what number I choose, I don't feel much support. It's not horrible, but not something I would have ever bought (it was a wedding present).
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

We have one and added the adjustable frame. Love it!

I have hated pretty much every mattress I have had, it's worth noting that I have not used a sleep number. I decided to try an unconventional solution, after much protest from DH against it, and bought a make your own buckwheat mattress kit online at openyoureyesbedding.com

I love this mattress, it is so comfortable and I sleep so deeply, I now vividly remember my dreams and wake up pain free ( I had shoulder pain before). It's not for everybody as you have to fluff it frequently and little bits of buckwheat slip out and onto the floor. Also it took me 4 hours to make it. But even DH sings its praises now!

Have two - a queen and a full - going on 13 years now. The only problem I have had was the remote on full be went dark. Like any "red blodded American" I googled it and found a wonderful YouTube video and fixed it with a hair dryer and screw driver in less than 15 minutes. The inflation/deflation worked screen was blank. I like the freedom of having the ability to hard or soft depending how I feel that day. I would purchase again.

We had one for 2-3 years. We did not care for it at all. When we each turned our side up it left a dip all down the middle that was horrible. Then my husband's side stopped working completely and he was left sleeping in a huge hole. Glad it's gone.

I slept on one during my last vacation (admittedly for only three nights). My cousin and I had been sleeping in grandma's guest beds before going to the beach house with the sleep number. Cousin actually started sleeping on the couch at grandma's because the beds were too hard for her, but I liked the harder mattress.
    When we were using the sleep number she was on 30 and I was on 90! We both were happy with the bed this way.
    My parents have a select comfort and they appreciate it for the same reason, my mom prefers soft mattresses and my dad doesn't. There is kind of a hill in the center of each mattress, which I think is hard to avoid when you have two separate air bladders in the same plane....
    The beds are a little different to get used to, not having the springiness. But I do love the adjustability factor!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)