The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Please. Your mother is talking to you you pay attention to your mother. This whole "he might have been in the zone thing" doesn't fly with me. And BTW the best time to correct a behavior -since we've added dogs to the mix -is right when there is a violation, not later with consequences that may or may not be connected to the violation by the dog/kid.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Please. Your mother is talking to you you pay attention to your mother. This whole "he might have been in the zone thing" doesn't fly with me. And BTW the best time to correct a behavior -since we've added dogs to the mix -is right when there is a violation, not later with consequences that may or may not be connected to the violation by the dog/kid.

Paula
    LOL What would make a more lasting impression....getting a sharp reprimand in the super market or eating cardboard like cereal for a week?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    LOL What would make a more lasting impression....getting a sharp reprimand in the super market or eating cardboard like cereal for a week?
    I would think the sharp reprimand in the super market.
    And no cereal for a week to boot.

Imagine his little wee face when he stares into an empty cereal bowl and mom says, "Yeah, probably you should have acknowledged me in the store. Next time if you want cereal you can help me find what you would like and carry it back to the cart for me instead of sitting around reading magazines on the floor."

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Look -- you can (and will) be happy either way.

Personally I never talk about how wonderful my kids are to other people just like I never talked about my good grades in college.

But I will say this: there is nothing, NOTHING, that comes close to my love for them. There is nothing better in the world than loving and being loved by your children.

If I never had kids I would not know what I was missing, and I would be perfectly fine and very happy without them. But I write the above so you get a more realistic picture of parenting.
    Exactly this. I adore my children.

If I had never had them, I would have had a perfectly happy life and never had a moments thought about not having children.

nope, no regrets at all. In fact, when I interact with people who are parents I often feel very sorry for them.

I'd rather risk regretting not having them than risk having them and regretting THAT. MANY people really regret having kids, and find them to be an incredible burden- look how many men run away and abandon the kids. Women tend to not do that as often for various reasons, but many deeply regret having kids. I have one friend who has admitted that if there was a "kid pound" to dump unwanted kids at, she'd be the first in line to get rid of her two.
    I have seen a few surveys of older people, and the ones who chose to not have kids are the ones who report being happiest and having the most satisfaction with their lives.
    Since the world is heavily overpopulated, it only makes sense to not contribute to it. If you really want kids, go ahead, but if you're just kind of ambivalent I'd suggest erring on the side of not having them.

2 members found this post helpful.

None, DH and I just had this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post

The sharp reprimand in the store of course. In that way dogs and children don't differ.

Paula

Well allrighty meup and paula. I defer to your combined breadth of child rearing experience. Should one of my children ignore me in a supermarket (thank GOD it has thus far not happened) I will be sure to yell, throw something at them and then deny them cereal for a week. That'll show them. LOL!!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

Hey now, no need for sarcasm. I ran it by my friends with human children and they agreed with my approach. So maybe we just run in different circles. And I didn't not mean to say that the way to get their attention is to yell and throw something at them, but in that situation he must give me his attention and answer me like a civilized person. I hope I am being clearer.

Paula

Yeah, not really seeing who advocated yelling and throwing things.

The purpose of the exercise is to teach the child how to behave better, not for the parent to regress to toddler-hood.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    The purpose of the exercise is to teach the child how to behave better, not for the parent to regress to toddler-hood.
    Agreed. And my point was that different approaches can get the same result and you cannot assess someone's parenting skills or the lack thereof based on seeing one interaction in a supermarket and not know that particular child, what happened before and what happend next. If you don't know the whole story it is best not to judge or form some sort of opinion regarding The Decline of Appropriate Child Rearing in North America.

And, for the record, I too was pretty confident that I knew ALL about raising children and that I would be so much better at it than my friends and family members. Until I actually had one.

1 members found this post helpful.

As I said, Mozart, not having the benefit of my own children I asked my children-having friends and they agreed with me. So, as I said, maybe we move in different circles. They wouldn't have tolerated that boy's behavior either.

What is particularly interesting is that there are indeed a number of people concerned about "The Decline of Appropriate Child Rearing in North America", and a goodly number of them have children.

Paula