The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quitting the booze....

and not missing it at all.

To make some other things in life easier, I've chosen to quit drinking completely. No, I'm not an alcoholic. Let's just say things are better if there is no alcohol in our house.

Anyone else quit, with or without regret? I don't miss it, and I really thought I would. I was never a heavy drinker, but did enjoy a few glasses of wine on a Friday night or a few beers from one of our many great local microbreweries, so I'm kind of surprised that I feel so indifferent about it.

Now, if you told me I had to quit coffee...I think I might die.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

2 members found this post helpful.

Same
    Making the decision to stop was tough, stopping was simple.

Last year I quit totally 'til 1/1/2013 with a plan to only drink when I go out after that. But even though I now have "permission" to have a cocktail now and then, I'm finding I like things a lot better without it, so I haven't returned to the habit.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'll still have a cocktail or a glass of wine once in a very blue moon, but I really don't miss it. I just kind of stopped. Never got around to stopping at the liquor store, so just don't have booze in the house.

Same as you though - don't ask me to give up coffee!
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I used to be a heavy drinker; never did me any good and left me with a hefty handful of regrets. I decided to quit drinking awhile ago and lasted a few months before boredom put me back on the booze wagon. I've stopped again, and plan to stay sober from here on out. Initially, I didn't miss it because I had a hectic work schedule that didn't accommodate a social life. When I did drink again, I realized how much I really, truly disliked it.

6 members found this post helpful.

I used to drink once in a while, if going out. But I never liked it much, and hate being around drinking ppl. Another house member who DID have a drinking issue, gave it up abruptly, almost ten yrs ago and has never ever drank once since. I figured it would be nice if I didn't drink either and since I never liked it, I never drank from then on either. Now I REALLY hate being around someone who is drinking.

I had one drink a couple of yrs ago while on a trip with my daughter at supper one night. It did not taste good and I did not finish it.

I stopped drinking on a regular basis when I turned 21 and had the world's stupidest friends who would never stick with being DD when it was their turn. Just easier and safer for it to be me all the time. Now in my mid-30s, I have about 4 drinks a year and have zero regrets about not drinking more often. It never did much for me any way.

Hubby never drank so I never got into it much, but do love a glass when we have company or go out to a restaurant (a glass of wine turns a meal into a feast!) However, getting to the age where the indigestion that follows makes it just not worth it any more
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Drinking is EXPENSIVE. I used to work with a girl who would, quite literally, go out every single night in downtown Fort Lauderdale until 2 or 3 in the morning and come in to work hungover every day....and always wondered and complained about being broke. Hellooooo...its because you're drinking your paychecks!

I have a glass of wine occasionally, but other than the rare bottle of wine and the bottle of vodka I've had in my freezer for over 2 years, I don't keep alcohol in my house and I don't go out with the sole purpose and intention of drinking. I hate how it makes me feel in the morning, and I hate what it does to my bank account.

Dont miss it one stinkin' bit.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I came to the conclusion I was drinking too much in my late 20's. There is a family history of alcoholism, so I decided to quit before I traveled that road, also. It just wasn't worth what I saw happen to those in my Grandparent's and Parent's generation at the end of that road. That was in 1978, so I haven't had a drink in (holy smokes) 35 years. It was harder when I was younger and it was more of the social standard to go out and drink. Now, I don't miss it at all.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

11 members found this post helpful.

I am drinking way too much. My husband is an alcoholic and I have been going along to get along.

How can you not miss it?

Great thread, I am glad to know it can be done. I just don't know how I will get there.

I went through a wild time with a group of friends for a while. Now I am really on a roll if I drink 3 times a year LOL!! Today I am, with my best gal pal, I even bought a special bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey for us for our coffee. It's fun being a light weight and I anticipate much goofiness and naps today LOL!!

I have a hooch in the house but only drink socially and rarely have the time to drink so..there it sits. But I do remember a time when it seemed my group and I never did anything without drinking. It seems foreign to me now.

Smoking was my personal devil. I planned my life around it and worried about when and where I could smoke, would avoid going places I knew I could not smoke, ugh. But I quit, almost 5 years ago now. Just quit, just stopped and knew that that particular monkey was off my back, and said thank you God.

Seen the price of a pack of Marlboro Light 100s lately!?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I stopped drinking about 5 years ago and don't miss it at all. I drank plenty in college and my 20's/early 30's, but my body starting hating me for it the older I got.

Halter broke, that is so awesome you are even thinking about it! It for sure for ure can be done! Some people hate it, but AA is also a great place to show up and ASK QUESTIONS - how do you know when you have a problem? What have other people done when they decided they did? What to do about a spouse/family member who does NOT want to stop? AA is full of people who have been EXACTLY where you are! You do not have to join AA, commit to a life of sobriety or anything else just to ask questions. I am sure they have online resources also to get information - from someone who has definitely been there, done that. Miss it? Rarely and NEVER miss the chaos that always ensued! My husband (also sober) and I were out with my mom and stepdad (a drinker) and his friends. The friends ordered several lovely and very expensive bottles of wine. My husband (teasing, which they did not get) said, "you know, that stuff is a lot cheaper when you buy it by the box" They were HORRIFIED!

I can't imagine giving up booze. Love beer, and the occasional whiskey. I don't drink a lot, but would definitely miss it.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

I like a glass of red wine with a meal when we're having company. I never did enjoy booze (as in hard liquor, cocktails, etc) and I don't like beer, so I don't miss it.
    I have quit wine and any alcohol altogether for months at a time, no biggie.
    I wish Hubby would do the same...but I'm not nagging him about it. Her should stop smoking first! One thing at a time.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I gave up all forms of liquor in 2004. It was definitely getting to be a problem for me. I haven't had a drink since, and I'm incredibly happy about it.

Halter broke-- AA is a good place to start. Even if you don't join (I didn't), you can go to meetings and ask questions. Not all meetings are alike-- some are definitely better than others.

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Alcohol is definitely a problem for me at times, other times not so much. It's a habit, and I have used binge drinking to deal with stress.

I just returned from a week at a meditation retreat and the first few days without alcohol, coffee or any internet/phone was tough. By the end of the week I dreaded returning to it. I have had a couple beers since returning to real life last Friday, but I have no desire to be drunk.

There were several people in recovery in my workshop, and I attended a AA/NA meeting while I was there. That also had a profound effect on me.

I hope this feeling continues for me, and for you Heinz 57. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post

I hope this feeling continues for me, and for you Heinz 57. Good luck.
    Ooh, old thread!

I don't even recall how this turned out. I don't drink much, the odd glass of wine here and there, but I can't really afford to drink these days anyway! Besides, I work graveyard now, and who really wants to knock a few back at 9am anyway?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Thanks for the supportive responses. I read Al-Anon literature and used to go to Al-Anon meetings to cope with my husband's drinking. I went to an open AA meeting once and was stunned by this young woman's story of her addiction.

My husband is really sick. He has been getting really wasted for years. Lately it has just been easy to drink too, to numb my brain to the sadness and not to deal with it.

Al-Anon has helped me a lot, going to AA will be a big deal if I try it. My husband does not like me to go to these meetings, and its easier not to rock the boat.

I really hope that anyone who is thinking of getting seriously involved with or marrying a drinker will take a step back and rethink it. It really is sad to see this progressive disease take away the person you care about.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by halter broke View Post
    Thanks for the supportive responses. I read Al-Anon literature and used to go to Al-Anon meetings to cope with my husband's drinking. I went to an open AA meeting once and was stunned by this young woman's story of her addiction.

My husband is really sick. He has been getting really wasted for years. Lately it has just been easy to drink too, to numb my brain to the sadness and not to deal with it.

Al-Anon has helped me a lot, going to AA will be a big deal if I try it. My husband does not like me to go to these meetings, and its easier not to rock the boat.

I really hope that anyone who is thinking of getting seriously involved with or marrying a drinker will take a step back and rethink it. It really is sad to see this progressive disease take away the person you care about.
    I feel for you. The hardest thing for me is being married to a "functional" alcoholic. And I totally, 100% understand the "if you can't beat em, join em" mentality as a coping mechanism.