The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stable hand jobs over the summer

I'm looking around for jobs as a stable hand over the summer and I'd like to ask you all--what are my chances of getting hired for something full-time like mucking out, turning out, feeding, and washing horses? As a 16-year-old who'd probably need to live on site, I feel like I have a very slim chance of anyone actually wanting to hire me. I do know my way around horses and could do a lot of the basic barn maintenance stuff, but I think my age and need for lodging are pretty major turn-offs. What say you? Thanks so much!
    My Blog of Photos and Random Anecdotes
    Proud owner of Jones: 15.3 HH Chestnut TB

I had this kind of job when I was your age.

But! It was through word of mouth. For them and for you, this is the way to go. Start now and tell everyone with a smile what you told us.

I hope you get a hot, sweaty, long-houred job with some great people this summer!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thank you for the encouragement! The problem with word-of-mouth for me is that I don't live in the same town where I hope to be working. My family and I go to this place over the summer so I can't really spread the word until after the time I'd like to start working. I sent an email to one barn saying essentially the same stuff I said above, as well as enumerating my experience with horses, but that was two days ago and I've received no response. Which is kind of why I'm worried.

I think many barn owners will consider having a minor live on site as quite a liability to take on. Why can't you live with your parents? If you can't drive are there no barns within bicycling distance?

A "job" you might consider if you need some place where you live on site is being a junior counselor at a summer camp. Junior counselors usually aren't paid but are given lodging and meals.

I would suggest e-mailing a professional reume to places you would like to work followed up by a phone call.

sorry - wrong thread
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    A "job" you might consider if you need some place where you live on site is being a junior counselor at a summer camp. Junior counselors usually aren't paid but are given lodging and meals.
    I worked as a stable hand at a Girl Scout camp when I was 17 - council rules may vary, but in ours you had to be 16 to work in the barn and 18 to be an instructor. Other types of camps may be similar, I don't know. Working at camps typically doesn't pay very much - but you get a place to stay, plus food, and usually are busy enough that you won't spend much of what you earn.

OK, best not to go into detail but let's just say I read the title wrong. The kinda wrong that would cause the thread to be deleted. That is all. Carry on.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

You might look into summer camps. I had the best job in the world when I was 16 at a residential summer camp.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

ako
    OK, best not to go into detail but let's just say I read the title wrong. The kinda wrong that would cause the thread to be deleted. That is all. Carry on.
    Me too. And I Promise I'm not a dirty old man. The setup was just perfect.
    Thoroughbreds: classic

Turn. N. Burn.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterJumperGin View Post
    Me too. And I Promise I'm not a dirty old man. The setup was just perfect.
    Haha, glad I could make someone laugh I guess! Probably should have rethought that title O___o Anyway thanks for all of your help! I don't know how well summer camps would work or how many there are near me, but I will look into it!