The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I just need to vent for a minute!

Had a person contact me about a youngster. He somehow saw an old ad that expired 2 months ago. Frankly I forgot I had ever even used it as it's not a site I use often. Anyhow, ad was like 7/8 months old. Horse has since gone from barely a yearling to about to be a 2yr old. I had offered him at a lowish price for about a month just to move him. Price was clearly listed in big caps as the first line of ad as being said price only until the end of that month. Month in question is August! Since it was such an old ad(still don't know how he found one that was expired), I made sure he knew that it was a temporary price and told him what actual price was. Said I was very sorry for any misunderstanding and if he was still interested let me know and I'd be happy to send him more pics/videos/info. He sends back a bit snarky, and wants to know what I'd sell him for. I give $500 off the actual price and again apologize for any confusion/misunderstanding. He then sends back that my horse is a piece of crap because his dam is half TB and he'll never be worth new price. Ummmm then why did you want him for any price if he is crap?? BTW, new price was 2k over what he thought it was, so it's not like we are talking a ton of money plus he's now looking at a 2yr old not a yearling!!!

Anyway, I did not take kindly to him saying such nasty things about my horses and I told him he was rude and not to contact me again. I was proud of myself for staying "mature" and not cussing him out like I wanted to. Oh, I did also call him childish.

If he was upset about the pricing, which is fine and even understandable to a point, then how about just not contacting me again. Or if you do, how about a thanks anyway but not interested? No, instead have a temper tantrum because you can't have something your way. Oh well, have a nice life idiot!
    Ok, vent over. Thanks for listening!
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

When he made the comment about the horses breeding in a negative light I would have said, "You must be mistaken and the horse you refer to is not one of ours. The horses we have for sale are of impeccable breeding. Thank you for your interest."
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

4 members found this post helpful.

A completely worthy vent. Sometimes there is just no accounting for humans.

At least he revealed he was a jerk before rather than after he bought one! He probably was just mad because then he couldn't afford it!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

For what it's worth, I briefly skimmed your website and your horses are lovely.

I'd say this guy is a bit bitter. Now that he's been told your horse is outside of his budget, instead of doing the polite thing and saying thank you for the reply and moving along, he's decided to point out what's "wrong" with him and why he shouldn't be priced at what he is... well, you should certainly reconsider and send him off to this individual who clearly sees the true value of this horse. Ha!

Rant is 100% warranted. What an overgrown brat.

2 members found this post helpful.

Here is another point of view: a mistake in advertising by the seller is sometimes required to be upheld. I think Groupon had such a problem recently and the restaurant offering the deal had to make good on the advertised price at a loss.
    So he might have been coming from that mindset.
    Sorry you had to go through that, but it is a good reminder to track all your advertising and make sure it is removed at the proper time and document it all so you don't get blindsided again.

1 members found this post helpful.

"Here is another point of view: a mistake in advertising by the seller is sometimes required to be upheld. I think Groupon had such a problem recently and the restaurant offering the deal had to make good on the advertised price at a loss."
    ... but it was not a mistake in advertising -- the ad stated that the youngster was at a reduced price till end of month (august). The guy's just a pugnacious jerk.

9 members found this post helpful.

Thanks all. You guys are making me feel better. I thought he was likely mad too that horse ended up being out of his budget.

Chall: I do see your point and even agree with you in most instances. However, it clearly stated in the first line of the ad that the price was only good for the month of August. Now had this happened in September I may even have still honored the price, but as it's now over 5 months later, not realistic.
    Last edited by everafterfarm; Feb. 4, 2013 at 09:02 AM.

Sunnydays was quoting Chall for her entire first paragraph (see quotation marks). Sunnydays agrees with you.

I agree with you too!

My personal favorites are the ones who wantwantwant the horse, make arrangements, talk shipping, vet, price.......then drop off the face of the earth. The only good thing about this guy is he didn't waste much of your time. I know -- not much of a consolation!
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Well it seems he's still mad! He must have really wanted my "crap" horse! He sent me 2 emails already today saying I am just a "bitter TB breeder". Oh, and there are so many TBs for free my horse isn't worth anything.

Umm, since when is a horse who has a half TB parent considered a TB?

I am not responding to him and I find him a bit pathetic at this point. He is just making me realize how glad I am my horse did not end up with such a nutjob!

Oops, thanks runningwater, I changed it!

3 members found this post helpful.

OP, your latest post sounds like he may have some sort of mental illness. I had someone do this to me once (re my non-horse related business). He got increasingly abusive, and after ignoring for a while, I finally had to send a very firm email to stop it, including threatening to contact his email provider. Not that I recommend that. Not responding is a better choice, if it works.

If you're selling horses you will get all kinds of inquiries. Not to sound too cosmic or anything....the universe will keep sending you this type of person until you learn how to deal with it. Sometimes it's best to be frostily polite and imperial "Thank you for your interest. We cannot offer you a horse in your budget. Please look elsewhere." You do not have to justify yourself to every person whom you encounter.

2 in one day--that's borderline alarming. Weird. I'd be a bit careful. For some reason your last post is giving me the creeps.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

You should be able to block his email.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

I've offered to hide the crap 1/2 TB mare on my trailer many a time, but EAF will have none of it!

The dude does sound like a nutjob, that's for sure!

Can't fix stupid!

Sorry for the frustration
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

Well, I haven't heard from crazy guy anymore today, so I'm thinking since I ignored him, he just gave up on his tantrum. He is my first kinda wacko I've had to deal with. I have had most of your normal type of strange buyers, but this was the first one who was nasty. My skin is thick so no worries!

You did the right thing, ignore him. People who want to pick a fight will go elsewhere if you don't rise to the occasion. This is how the rest of the world finds out about them!

Everything you say and do tells everyone exactly who you are.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

This is exactly why I don't like listing a young horse's price in an online ad. Someone may have seen the ad months ago with the price listed at $x and expect to be able to buy the horse at $x, even if you have changed the price online in the interim.