The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ugh... I really did not need to see that just now. (Hunting related)

Just sitting here checking my emails n' stuff and a hunting show came on TV ("Buck McNeely"). This episode they were in Africa.

I wasn't paying much attention but I then looked up just in time to see him shoot a zebra stallion.

And they go on to squat over it, going on about what a "beautiful" animal he is.

I don't love hunting period, but usually they're hunting stuff like deer, and I can justify this thinking they eat it... but it was quite shocking to see an equid shot dead, and then hear him talk about how he's going to turn it into a rug.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's a zebra. It's like shooting a deer only the zebra's meaner. (Some species are less likely to trample you on principle than others, but they're not really very nice animals. The vets at the zoo wouldn't work on the Grevey's until the keepers built a chest-high kick plate onto the crush chute so the zebras couldn't kick out at them.) They have pretty hides and it'll probably make a nice rug.

5 members found this post helpful.

and unlike some deers, zebras are not endangered...and they are eaten in Africa...like antilope ad elephant, where applicable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

As long as the zebra wasn't full of bute, I'd eat that

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    As long as the zebra wasn't full of bute, I'd eat that
    If you can trick one into taking it, more power to you....

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

According to my friend, whose husband is a trophy hunter, all the animals that hunters who go on "safari" to Africa to shoot are NOT eaten--can't be shipped or something like that. The head/hides come much later, too.

This is the same man, though, who "hunts" on a "Wild Animal Ranch" in Oregon--for Watusi and Yak! Ohh, such wild beasts. They drive up to them and shoot them. Those kind of hunters get none of my respect.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    According to my friend, whose husband is a trophy hunter, all the animals that hunters who go on "safari" to Africa to shoot are NOT eaten--can't be shipped or something like that. The head/hides come much later, too.

This is the same man, though, who "hunts" on a "Wild Animal Ranch" in Oregon--for Watusi and Yak! Ohh, such wild beasts. They drive up to them and shoot them. Those kind of hunters get none of my respect.
    Do they eat the yak and the Watusi cattle? Those are basically beef. (Yak has nice fur.)

As far as Africa goes, the countries that allow safari hunting generally have much more proactive game protection laws and a populace more interested in preserving the megafauna. The countries that don't have much bigger poaching and just convenience-shooting problems. Trophies people will pay you a ton of money to shoot have value, hordes of wild animals you aren't allowed to kill are just pest species that trample your crops. (Or eat you/trample you, in the case of the cats and the elephants...)

It does not mean the meat is not locally used....

and yeah... the driving up to kill hunts are not very challenging...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

It is true that the meat cannot be shipped from Africa. But generally the meat is used locally. There are probably some that let it go to waste, there is always a bad apple in every bunch.

I don't get the lust for killing, either, and all the yahoooing and cheering is revolting.

Shooting with a camera just doesn't cut it with some folks.

But sometimes zebra have to be culled, which, I suppose is justifiable.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Personally I think the only way hunting could be considered a "sport" is if they gave the zebras guns and allowed them to shoot back!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    and unlike some deers, zebras are not endangered...and they are eaten in Africa...like antilope ad elephant, where applicable.
    The mountain zebra and grevy's zebra are.
    Proud owner of Finger Lakes' Finest Devilshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Devon'sGirl26 View Post
    The mountain zebra and grevy's zebra are.
    I am sure they are not hunted for safaries....they are worth more alive than dead - the odd ornery zebra stallion not withstanding....

Zebras have the reputation of being mean....