The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm a messy person in my room. I feel bad for any roommate. What saves me, is places I can just toss things. So... baskets, crates, hanging closet organizers, etc. If I have to nicely fold it, stack it, and put it away, it's not going to happen. If I can toss stuff semi-folded into a basket, I'll actually do that.

3M hooks and over the door hooks also save my life. I can hang up coats, jackets, scarves, and bras.

Try to figure out a way she can spend 2 minutes a day picking up her room and make it decent. Any more and it won't happen.

Is it sad that I'm 23 and don't think that will ever change?

Get a robe. One that is nice and long and of a material that will keep her warm when it's cold and she's wet.

Talk to her roommate about what's important to them. If being able to cook in their room is really important, there are a lot of great ways to do that. However, it will require they create a mini kitchen and lose storage space.

How far from home will she be? If she's close, have her pack seasonally. If she's not, get her space bags. If she won't have access to a vacuum, invest in some of the travel ones. I do not recommend the space bag travel brand, but the Eagle Creek brand you can get from REI is really good. They are a little pricey, but they hold up for a long time and many uses.

I agree with planning move-out well. She will accumulate more stuff over the year, so plan accordingly.

Good luck! It'll be an experience for her an her friend. Dorm like definitely has its ups and downs. (That being said, make sure she does stuff without her friend. Being a roommate is VERY taxing on friendships.)
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

As far as closet organization goes do the hangers that will hold multiple shirts and pants as well as the cubby shelves that hang from the closet rod. I believe that there are 5 "shelves" per hanging organizer and I loved having those shelves.

Also, for a comforter I bought a regular full so I could use it after dorm life. Because my bed was lifted it didn't matter that it was too long. It would work even with a bed just on risers. I knew a lot of girls who did the same and just invested in xl twin sheets.

I'm in my last semester of college but I live in the dorms for my first two years and I think my mom is a wizard with this sort of stuff.

The 3 inch foam mattress topper. Trust me, they are worth it.
    Extra sheet sets - so you don't have to do laundry all the time
    Laundry basket on wheels
    Purex Combination detergent/dryer sheet - they are easier to store, don't get sticky like the bottles do, and make laundry an easier process
    Alarm clock - not phone, phones die or get dropped in beer and don't function normally anymore
    Plastic silverware
    Giant wall calendar where you can put upcoming tests and assignments - my first semester because I didn't have the classes every day I got a little flummoxed when trying to organize how to keep track of things.
    Flash drive
    I will second care packages, my mom doesn't bake but she sends me shoes or socks in the mail a bunch and I know she's thinking of me.

My bed was always on bed rises with 3 shallow target plastic drawers stacked 3 across down my bed.
    My mom got me a dust ruffle so you didn't always immediately see that stuff under it.

I also know the thing that annoyed me when I lived in the dorm was my roommate freshman year NEVER left. She wanted to take freshman year to just study and make friends. You do have time to go to club meetings for an hour once a week! I joined my sorority and had my horse up at school while maintaining a high gpa, it really is no different from high school, but your day isn't as structured. You have to MAKE the structure.

Another advice I had when rooming with a friend is: do your homework elsewhere. Sophomore year I roomed with a good friend and when we were in the room we could not manage to concentrate, we just wanted to play 24/7! We got in the habit of going elsewhere unless we had a super easy assignment and it worked nicely, we knew when we were in the room we could watch tv and hangout. I still have this system and I now live with my 7 best friends.

Also, I don't know how close you are with your daughter but I am an only child and VERY close with my mom, she likes to talk to me every single day (which...I am overly involved at school so sometimes I'm too busy) but I emailed her a schedule of my day at the beginning of the semester and I'll text her in the morning and let her know when I might be more available for a phone call.

Hope any of that helped/sorry I'm long winded!
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian

If the shower is not in her room, this s very handy as it hangs on the shower rod and keeps everything neat and dry - http://www.target.com/p/swissgear-do...&term=toiletry

A printer in her room will be very convenient even though there are printers available elsewhere.

Something to stop drafts from windows, and possibly from doors.

Also, netflix.

My freshman year, we had the option to loft our beds or take them apart in college- my roommate and I started the semester with them lofted but I don't think we even made it to Thanksgiving... too much of a pain to climb up and down, we HATED it. We managed to configure the room (albeit a bit more cramped) with both beds down and kept it that way the rest of the year. Things I was definitely glad I had:

- Lots of hangers
    - Over the door hooks
    - bed risers (more storage)
    - storage hampers and rolling tupperware under-the-bed storage
    - area rug
    - slippers
    - shower shoes and a good robe
    - this: http://turbietwist.com/index.php?id=4
    - spare set of extra-long twin sheets (standard size of most dorm rooms)
    - mattress topper, a down comforter and throw blanket (I was always cold!)
    - printer
    - Swiffer
    - SHARPIES (put her name on everything, or it's fair game for communal use)
    - a power strip! there are never enough outlets
    - this (we weren't allowed lit candles but I thought they smelled nicer than air fresheners in our rather musty old dorm)

My advice? If there is a Walmart, Target or BB&B near school, don't go out and buy a ton until Move-In Day. Once you have everything moved in, you realize things you forgot or notice things you might still want. Saves you a trip and you only end up getting the stuff you actually need.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I talked to RM mom today, the story is different now, Mom says RM is not going to college DD is. So maybe take it all back about her knowing RM. Ive told her better the devel you know--RM is to put it nicely--different.

Must think of sheets/toper/care package--her cousins might want CP to.

How can I print this thread before it goes poof? Copy to word?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

A single room is always nice....and was my preference!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post

How can I print this thread before it goes poof? Copy to word?
    At top of the thread on the right - go to thread tools drop-down and choose Show Printable Version

OP, if it means anything... my roommate and I didn't know each other - we were randomly assigned, from RADICALLY different backgrounds, and our only commonality was that we were pre-vet and loved horses. She also posts on here as "RoyalPrestige," but just started that fairly recently.

3 years later, we still live together and we're best friends. I don't think we've ever fought about anything. I realize that's kind of unusual, but random assignments of roommates can work out!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    A single room is always nice....and was my preference!!!
    That way you all ways get a long with your RM?

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    At top of the thread on the right - go to thread tools drop-down and choose Show Printable Version
    Tks

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    OP, if it means anything... my roommate and I didn't know each other - we were randomly assigned, from RADICALLY different backgrounds, and our only commonality was that we were pre-vet and loved horses. She also posts on here as "RoyalPrestige," but just started that fairly recently.

3 years later, we still live together and we're best friends. I don't think we've ever fought about anything. I realize that's kind of unusual, but random assignments of roommates can work out!
    I know RMs from 25 years ago who are BFFs to this day not close to each other but still. But Friends DD went with unknown RM who brought boys in @ all times they did stuff on HER bed, stole stuff from her you name it RM left but didnt leave key so DD had to move to. It can get ugly
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Maybe it's just me, but I'm confused with the whole RM and DD thing... So, was the roommate your daughter's friend, and who is DD?

My best friend was a dormmate with one of our friends from high school. Let's just say... it got quite ugly and they aren't really friends anymore. So, it can go both ways. We were all really close before, but I got a first hand glimpse of what it was like to live with the other girl, and I'm surprised my Bestie made it three years with her (she got a single room her senior year because she couldn't take it anymore). The school was close enough that I was there almost every weekend so I saw quite a bit of the issues she was having with her.

DD dear daughter
    RM room mate

DD & RM have been friends for years, spend nights @ houses, ride horses. but RM is not her BFF just someone to hang with

Where I went to college we werent allowed to loft beds...but we were allowed to purchase these things called rackraisers...i got the 25" height and they were awesome for all 4 years I used them. I was able to store a ton of stuff under there!

http://www.rackraiser.com/Rackraiser--25-Inch_p_29.html

Handy things: 3m sticky hooks, pants hangers that hold several at a time, a small safe (read on...)

I was NOT very good friends with my freshman year roommate. We were nice to each other- but she was a dirty slob who drank, smoked, never studied, stole my food & snacks my mom would send to me, use my clean towels, dishes, etc. Nothing was off limits to her, in her eyes. Seriously i could tell you the most disgusting stories about what she did with boys during *that* time of the month...stains on her sheets and would not wash them for months at a time. Yes, gross - seriously the stuff that makes those febreeze commercials. She had visiting friends over ALL the time who also drank, smoked, would be loud...I lasted a semester and by the second I had befriended other normal people and ended up unofficially bunking with them most days.

And aside from "stuff" - seriously the best thing you can prepare your daughter with is excellent money management skills. I did not receive any of that kind of education when I was still at home, and became your typical college student buried in debt. I learned my lessons the hard way, cleaned up my messes, but I look back and just wish I would've been better prepared - would've saved a lot of everything!

I haven't read all the rest of the replies yet, so I apologize for any duplicates.

Loft the beds if possible. My universities had zero problems with either homemade lofts or rented ones. Actually, I was told the year I graduated, that lofts were being included for future years.

Bring way less stuff than you think you need. Seriously.

One thing that made me very popular was having a tool kit with proper tools in them...hammer, nails, wrench, screws, etc. We couldn't actually nail things to our walls, but it's amazing how many things fall apart and no one in the place has tools...or knows how to use them.

I also had a first aid kid. Ditto on the popular use thing.

Hopefully your kid is an easygoing kid. I had no problem adjusting since I was used to being in other people's turf and going with the flow. I had gone to camps since I was young, used to annoying things people do, etc.

It seemed the people that had the hardest time adjusting were only children that had never left home, been adventurous, etc. Learning to share in a dorm room/petri dish was not fun for either them nor their roommates!

And I learned a very ugly lesson. I really would not room with someone I knew from high school. Long story, is I felt sorry for someone that I was friends with, but had a spat with in high school. I ended up rooming with her after she kept driving her other roommates out. For good freakin' reason! And I realized why I had such a problem with her in HS too.

Now, another gal I met on the same wing, I ended up rooming with later and we were great buddies and still are. We did the horse thing together, worked together, and she was maid of honor at my wedding...

But we were both very laid back and could handle having a bit of clutter or the occasional horse tack show up in the room. We both were in long term relationships and OK with that, etc.

Yipes, this is so topical - I just got my first acceptance yesterday!

I'll definitely be coming back to this thread in August.....

1 members found this post helpful.

So, are "DD" and "RM" sisters? I'm still confused. I know it has nothing to do with dorm living just trying to understand! So, RM isn't going to be RM but DD is?

As long as there are boundaries and accepted rules up front, there shouldn't be too much of a problem. The problems my friends had mainly stemmed from my best friend coming from a well-to-do family and having a lot of clothes and other things, and friend who came from a very poor background who thought nothing of "borrowing" everything and anything without permission. Including brand new clothes with the tags still on, and things that were planned on being worn and found to be dirty... friend never washed the clothes that she "borrowed" from my best friend, and so she had to wash them at her own expense. So, rules are a MUST! It all started with "Oh sure, you can borrow my clothes sometimes, just ask!"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    Her roomate is a friend & horse person.
    THANK THE LORD FOR THIS! First roomie in college was horrible. I found out the hard way she was a hoarder (think: entire area under her bed loft was packed solid with dirty cloths. She would buy more vs. washing them. Also hoarded dirtily food containers with mold and other unthinkable sh*t. seriously disgusting). She also let her boyfriend move in and I often walked-in on them nude doing the nasty. Tried to talk to her about it SEVERAL times but she was impossible to talk to and really strange.

My best advice is that she talk through concerns with her roomie as soon as they occur. It's awesome that she is with a horse friend, but dorm rooms are very small and you don't have any personal space. Even with a friend, good communication is the best thing she can "bring."

Other than that - one of my meal plans worked in an on-campus buffet. I always brought an oversized bag and tupperware - brought yogurt and stuff home so I didn't have to buy breakfast foods from the store. Saved some money and it was always fresh.

Totally agree with someone who said use space upwards - lofted beds and smart storage is really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Capall View Post
    So, are "DD" and "RM" sisters? I'm still confused. I know it has nothing to do with dorm living just trying to understand! So, RM isn't going to be RM but DD is? "
    I think maybe RM mom doesnt want her going to this college so maybe she wont be RM but DD is mine. I would never put DD with her sister BTDT

Default In College Student Advice:

1. Vacuum. My boots track in grodies and things accumulate over time. Enough said. Don't shoot for a cheapie in-hand vacuum, get the real thing. Except maybe a little smaller.
    2. My school does not provide mini fridges in the room so I got a 2.7 from black&decker. It is quiet and works well for me.
    3. Bring your own cutesie rugs. World market, etc sells really cute ones.
    4. Pictures! Blown up posters from kinkos of photos of your ponies, etc! Post them on the wall, ceiling. It really makes the tiny little space feel like home.
    5. Alarm clock that actually works. I currently am living in a single but last semester I had a room mate. Total nightmare but besides the point, she used ME as her alarm clock. Do not let your daughter be in this situation whether as the alarm clock or using someone as the alarm clock. It is immensely irritating and she will turn into either the babysitter or the babysittee.
    6. Collapsible wire shelving for dishes, tea boxes & canisters, blender parts, etc.
    7. Cheap vase of fake flowers. I have a giant one of beautiful yellow fake flowers and they really improve the atmosphere of my room. * vanity thing *
    8. Butt-cushion for your desk chair. Trust me, just do it. Make sure it can tie onto the chair as well.
    9. Be prepared for the weather. As a Texan moving to Missouri, I hit up smartpak and REI! Being prepared for the weather makes everything a much more enjoyable experience.
    10. I brought my pony :] he made everything better!
    "This is a strange, new, and different world we are stepping into. In order to keep walking forward, we must learn to cope. And not only cope, but thrive. So take big, bold steps." - Myself

If your daughter struggles with organization like I do, here are some suggestions. (I WANT to be organized but if it gets too complicated it gets rough).

1. Keep the system simple. It is too much of a pain and too discouraging to have to take everything off the shelf to get to one thing and then put it back.

2. Laundry baskets or bags are great. They keep things up and out of the way and contained and relatively neat.

3. Pack as lightly as possible. SERIOUSLY! The less stuff the easier. I'm a chronic over packer and brought way too many clothes/knicknacks/shoes, etc. You can always mail stuff to her later. If she has stuff she "Might" want, have her set that aside at home and you can just mail it to her when she wants it.

4. Have a plastic airtight bin for her to put in dirty horse stuff. We don't think our stuff smells horsey, but it does!!! I would store breeches/clothes I'd worn at the barn in the bin until wash day. Of course don't put anything wet in there. I always left my helmet and boots in my car or at the barn, but would have put them in the bin if I had to. It isn't horrible having a non horsey roommate. I had one that would always ask about my horse and she actually helped me figure out how to put a halter plate on my halter (she had a handy tool box with a DRILL!).

5. No knicknacks. Don't bring extra books to read 'for fun' or whatever. Maybe a board game or two but THAT IS IT! With computers nowadays and a horse and studying and friends and college activities, it isn't like you need a bunch of things to occupy time.

6. Have I said.... BRING AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE!!!!! :-)