The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Housework made easy

My DH gifted me with hardwood flooring for Christmas. As all things in our life, this took a little time to complete, but I now am the proud owner of beautiful hardwood. The installer went on and on about how much I would love a swiffer. Well, I bought one.

Big farm house, three dogs, and one cat. Can you see the fur balls ? I feel like a dragon slayer!! My house has never been so clean. Why had I never tried this before?

What else can I do to make myself look like Suzie Homemaker. Give me your secrets How do you do it ?

Been using the floor Swiffers and the dusters too, for years now. I could not live without them, they really do make things easier. I have hardwood and brick floors. Congrats on your new floor!
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I thought the title said "Homework made easy"
    I got so excited
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

2 members found this post helpful.

Better than a swiffer is a big wool (has to be wool) dust mop. http://www.sladust.com/

Also, puffy wool dusters are fantastic (the ones that look like sheep tails).

I have a Hoover floor scrubber (bought a refurb for super cheap) that SCRUBS floor and then vacuums up the skanky water. It is superfantastic. I don't think you can really get a floor clean clean without a brush & this thing is great. I wish they had a handheld model for stuff besides floors.

Love my Dyson vacuum, still sucking away after 11 years with 3 long haired cats.

I also like a lot of the microfiber clothes for cleaning mirrors & glass.

Do the wool dusters leave behind that sheep smell? The ad says the natural oils in the mop attract and hold dust.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

If you like routines, I recommend FlyLady. Click on the Getting Started tab for the link to appear: http://www.flylady.net/

She helps you create daily routines. At first, it seems really anal but you know what, it really does cut down on the workload and helps keep the house running like a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    Better than a swiffer is a big wool (has to be wool) dust mop. http://www.sladust.com/
    Has to be wool? Really? I have a big ol cotton one--like the dust mops they use in the grocery store--and it is The Shit. Totally awesome. Is wool going to blow my mind even more?

We also make good use of the shop vac. Nothing better for sucking up the roving fur balls from the four shedding cats (Thank god the dogs are short haired!)

The Roomba is amazing!

I had a roomba for while, but the honeymoon is over. When I went to make the house all show-ready (on the market), the roomba got packed.

Been sweeping and wet swiffering with good results. I hate sweeping. May consider the dry swiffer thing. May.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I hate the smell of lanolin (I swear lamb tastes like a sheep barn). There is no smell to the mop. It is like any wool sweater.

I think the wool is best more for the static that it generates than the oils. not sure how many oils are left after it has been processed and dyed.

1 members found this post helpful.

I got the new Dyson DC4 Animal for Christmas. I love it more than I can express. It's the one that's lightweight and has the long body, tons of attachments, will fit under all my beds. It's cordless, so very handy to use on my hardwood floors. I just had new floors put in, at the advice of my allergist, but like the OP I'm feeling like my house is really clean.

I resisted Swiffer like crazy - it is such a crime to have all that disposable stuff go in the garbage - but have given in in - they really help.

What bugged me the most was with the wet mop - it needs a battery to dispense the liquid, and the bottle is not refillable - more garbage. BUT my husband fixed that and now we re-fill with half-and-half Mr Clean and water.

The old bucket and mop just was not as handy, and with indoor dogs and our wet climate, the wet mop is just ready and waiting and my floors are soooo much better.

All my life I've been a person who tries to limit my footprint on this earth, but as my energy levels get less, this is the beginning of my moral downfall.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

I accept that postulation...only for me, it's not my energy, it's my time and patience.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.