The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 1980s Morgan herd dispersal Petalbrook Farm/Phil Jackson upstate NY

another post got me thinking that I can ask this question here & someone may know the answer.

My mother bought our wormy, underfed runt Morgan gelding from an auction in the early 1980s. She went to a herd dispersal/foreclosure sale to see one horse, who sold for more than she wanted to pay (which was probably next to nothing), then she saw our guy, felt bad for him, bought him for 400$. She claims he was going to a kill buyer. He was 2 at the time. Dang horse lived to be 34 (here he is on Old Morgans site: http://oldmorgans.blogspot.com/2011/03/petalbrook-zebulon.htm).

Anyway, I have never been able to figure out the story behind the sale. It sounded like breeder hadn't paid his training/boarding bill, horses were turned out & then eventually auctioned.

The horses that came back from the auction had Petalbrook prefix & I was just told that "breeder hadn't paid bills". I was about 8 at the time & anyone who would know the real deal isn't around any more. My mother, even in her younger years, could never get a story straight. Add age & time passing & she makes no sense when questioned on this subject.

So was it the Jacksons, successful breeders (of world champions) that ended up having their herd dispersed? Not sure why his horses would have all been boarded somewhere, although I can imagine some would be sent out for training. Or maybe they were at his place & he ran up other bills?
    Anyone know what happened?

I have searched around with teh google & have found a bit about Petalbrook & Phil Jackson, but no mention of an auction or dispersal.

Try asking the author of www.oldmorgans.blogspot.com. Her bio says she's into Morgan history. The New York Morgan Association or Society might be another
    option. Records of futurity winners show the Jacksons winning in the 60's, slowing down on the wins in the 70's and pretty much poof after that. Apparently
    that a stud named Petalbrook (name of their farm) Sigmalect whose names shows up a lot if you just google him....he's in a lot of pedigrees.

Try asking the author of www.oldmorgans.blogspot.com. Her bio says she's into Morgan history. The New York Morgan Association or Society might be another
    option. Records of futurity winners show the Jacksons winning in the 60's, slowing down on the wins in the 70's and pretty much poof after that. Apparently
    that a stud named Petalbrook (name of their farm) Sigmalect whose names shows up a lot if you just google him....he's in a lot of pedigrees.

I know about Sigmalect & their show record. Sigmalect was the sire of our horse. I've read most of what I can find on google about the farm & the line. That is why I am trying to figure out what happened in late 70s/early 80s.

Oldmorgan blogger does post here, so maybe she'll see my question.
    thanks

Looking at the progeny report for him it shows some UVM bred babies. (UVM Watchman was one of my all time favorite horses and Sigmalect is his sire..) I would call UVM and see if Steve Davis can tell you anything more surrounding the circumstances of the dispersal.
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse