The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite cheap leave in products for mane/tail from hair care aisle?

I know this has been discussed here before, but I am looking for something that I can spray in as a detangler that would also be moisturizing for tail, mane & skin under each.

I looked at some today, but the selection in the store I was in was def. limited & most of the sprays had as much silicone as Show Sheen & the like.

I love Infusium 23, the leave in conditioner.

1 members found this post helpful.

PINK is really good stuff!!!

Pink, Infusium, and that Olive Oil Spray conditioner in the olive green can.

Quote Originally Posted by AzulBlue View Post
    PINK is really good stuff!!!
    Pink may work well in the tail but I would not put it anywhere that it will come in contact with their skin. I tried it on my gelding because he has really dry skin in the winter time. The next day I was horrified when I took his blanket off and everywhere I had sprayed it on his body with was swollen like a welt (you could even see the wave motion I used to spray it on). My gelding isn't generally sensitive when it comes to his skin either. Never had him get hives from anything or even react to laundry detergent changes but pink did NOT work well for him.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Infusium 23
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I've used Infusium! We can share a a bottle.
    thanks, guys

Fructis Sleek and Shine is a decent heavy duty leave in conditioner.

Fructis Triple Nutrition Nutrient spray is a very light detangler that leaves a hint of shine and conditioning. Definitely no greasy feel. Smells really good,too!

I may be biased. I work for them

Quote Originally Posted by besttwtbever View Post
    Pink may work well in the tail but. would not put it anywhere that it will come in contact with their skin. I tried it on my gelding because he has really dry skin in the winter time. The next day I was horrified when I took his blanket off and everywhere I had sprayed it on his body with was swollen like a welt (you could even see the wave motion I used to spray it on). My gelding isn't generally sensitive when it comes to his skin either. Never had him get hives from anything or even react to laundry detergent changes but pink did NOT work well for him.

I'm sorry, i'm not aware that pink had a spray?! Is it aerosol or a pump? The "PINK" i use is in a pink bottle, and is a LOTION...Literally...for hair

I've used the Pink lotion and the generic version from Walmart with great success as well.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Quote Originally Posted by AzulBlue View Post
    I'm sorry, i'm not aware that pink had a spray?! Is it aerosol or a pump? The "PINK" i use is in a pink bottle, and is a LOTION...Literally...for hair
    It's an aerosol. Here it is.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    I know this has been discussed here before, but I am looking for something that I can spray in as a detangler that would also be moisturizing for tail, mane & skin under each.

I looked at some today, but the selection in the store I was in was def. limited & most of the sprays had as much silicone as Show Sheen & the like.
    Add 1/2 cup -1 cup a day of flax to the diet - much more effective for skin than any leave in product (especially ones that are pH etc balanced for human vs equine): note that mineral oil (which appears under various names & is widely used on the industry) is also drying.

Argan oil.

I started using flax last spring, and although it was too soon to notice a change in summer coat, when their winter coats came in, my normally wire-haired-terrier resembling mare has a dense, soft, fluffy coat which she has never had in all my years of owning her.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Healthy Hair Care Moisturizer. Has lanolin in it. it is concentrated so you mix it up. works great on dry skin, detangles hair..Love it. no silicone.

3 members found this post helpful.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I have picked up Biosilk at Costco, it's wonderful but needs to go into clean hair and not too much as it could be greasy.

Thx everyone for your answers.

I am looking for something to act as a detangler b/f brushing. I know that true quality of the hair isn't changed by anything you put on it. i just want something that isn't going to dry it out & make it prone to more breakage. I have been using show sheen & cowboy magic, both silicone products. I would prefer something that was more of a moisturizer.

I have used argon oil in my own hair & most of the stuff for sale is mostly silicone, not much oil. (see ingredients list, pretty much any 'cone' is silicone'. I do like some of the styling products, though

The lanolin product sounds tempting. I will try some of your suggestions & report back.

Out of curiousity, I had my stylist (new term for "hairdresser") look at a few tail hairs. His opinion was that using conditioner on a horse's tail or mane hair was a waste of money. The hair is not porous and will not absorb anything. Conditioner won't coat tail hair the same way it does human hair.

My horses have absolutely amazing tails. I use cheap shampoo, usually Orvus or whatever's on sale at Costco, the right type tail brush and Showsheen once a week. That's it.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

I tried the Pink aerosol on my horse a few years ago, and did not have great results from it. It left a greasy finish.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Diluted mineral oil. Although now that I looked at the "PINK" aerosol--that appears to be mineral oil in a spray form...AWESOME!

I've also used the "Olive oil sheen" spray that can be found at Target and most grocery stores. Works great too. http://www.sleekhair.com/ors03-15-9-..._d_15_d_9_d_oz
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis