The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fatigue issues?

dangit.. it's hitting me gain...

I did well, then I had to travel, came back with a nasty cold...that was in November....

I read all the stuff about changing, diet and whatnot...

How am I suppose to change the diet when I don't have the energy to even shop for the wonderfoods?!

borrowed a book about fatigue form the library (too tired to read)
    and bought the Paleo for dummies....

(ok, all the 'verboten' foods are a turn off...)

I did a little better in the bed time department, then I got wrapped up in my writing project....
    but even (or because) of a long nap, I am STILL pooped!

heck, I am too tired t go to the doctor!

What am I gonna tell them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Does this normally happen to you in the darkest part of winter?

If so, I wonder if you could have some seasonal affective depression disorder. A couple of wake up lights can REALLY help. So can taking a good quality Vit D supplement.

For lights, I have this one which brightens the room before you wake up, and then use one of these dealies for the sunlight spectrum. They do really help!

With regard to diet...limiting or removing wheat and junk food makes a big difference for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am actually not depressed.
    Just like I was run over by a steam roller...

I felt similar when I dragged on, only to find out I tested positive for Mono a couple of years back.

I am willing to give extreme measures a try, but dangit, I don't have the juice!

I did stay up too late last night, but slept til 9 in the morning, bringing it to a total of about 6 hours...after 2 hors with my friend doing essentially nothing (selling Girl Scout cookies for her newly formed troop) I was done...ended up taking a nap worth a few hours. I am still not refreshed!

I have not touched much alcohol since Christmas (overdid it then, and DH can't drink anymore die to medications)

I need to go back to the doctor, I know

but sheesh...what do I tell them? Draw a pint of blood and run every test known to man?
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Do you think you might have a low-grade sinus infection or infection of some kind (bladder? some fluid in your lungs) that might be sapping your strength? Sometimes it won't even cause a fever. Double your vitamins and get lots of rest and pamper yourself for a couple of days...

Have your thyroid levels checked. My best friend has a low thyroid level, but it dips even further from time to time and feels just about like what you described.

Quote Originally Posted by headsupheelsdown View Post
    Do you think you might have a low-grade sinus infection or infection of some kind (bladder? some fluid in your lungs) that might be sapping your strength? Sometimes it won't even cause a fever. Double your vitamins and get lots of rest and pamper yourself for a couple of days...
    I was pretty sick back in November...so yeah, lingering aftermath, quiet possible!

When I'm exhausted like that my iron levels are stupid low and I'm eating too many processed foods and have too much wheat in my system.

I've recently just cut wheat out completely and have begun juicing veggies (and some fruit) and the difference is amazing! I have always dragged ass out of bed, hitting snooze a million times, cutting corners on my morning routine for an extra 3 mins of sleep. It was awful, I felt horrible and guilty all the time.

Since making these few changes, I hit the ground running in the morning and feel fantastic all day! It's such a wonderful feeling!

ETA: I do agree with Simkie about SADD, I've also got a light that I use daily to help with vitamin D. The light really helps with energy levels! It's definitely worth a try

"Depression" does not always = feeling sad. Depression--especially the sort related to day length, for me--can often make you indescribably tired. Don't rule out SADD and light issues because you don't feel sad.

Been there done that- lost most of last year to a cold that screwed me over for 7 months of exhaustion that followed it. Finally started the shotgun approach to vitamins (nurse clients recommended a few) and started taking getting rest seriously.

It took time but I really am back. Just don't give up, rest, give yourself the care you would give to a worn down horse, and expect to feel better. (hugs)

Have you been stressed much?? Or is that a dumb duh?? Could be your adrenals. I was stressed for quite a while. Found some good vitamins that helped and I lost about 10lbs besides.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Have you been stressed much?? Or is that a dumb duh?? Could be your adrenals. I was stressed for quite a while. Found some good vitamins that helped and I lost about 10lbs besides.
    Nothing I could say 'yeah, that's it'

but I do seem to feel stressed as I can tell by other symptoms.
    (I got a teen age kid, doe that explain it?)

Having a teenager explains everything!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Nothing I could say 'yeah, that's it'

but I do seem to feel stressed as I can tell by other symptoms.
    (I got a teen age kid, doe that explain it?)

I was just reading the other day that there is new research that claims many chronic fatigue and autoimmune disorders are triggered by Lyme disease. So if it's not SAD, or lack of iron, or potassium, or some low grade infection, then make them run a Lyme test.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White